Morrissey signed to Harvest (Capitol); to record in France with producer Joe Chiccarelli

UPDATE 10:50 AM PT:

Link posted by Uncleskinny:

Morrissey has signed a two-album deal with Capitol Music in Los Angeles, and is set to record a new album in France starting on February 1st - true-to-you.net
15 January 2014

Morrissey has signed a two-album deal with Capitol Music in Los Angeles. He is set to record a new album in France starting on February 1st. Producer is Joe Chiccarelli, and musicians are Boz Boorer (guitar), Jesse Tobias (guitar), Gustavo Manzur (piano), Solomon Walker (bass guitar) and Matt Walker (drums). This will be Morrissey's first album since Years Of Refusal, which was recorded in 2008. Morrissey has been signed by Steve Barnett at Capitol Music.

Posted by mozzalini999 (original post):

Twitter alive with reports of a new deal. Check this out:

MORRISSEY SIGNS WORLDWIDE RECORDING AGREEMENT WITH HARVEST RECORDS - PR Newswire
Globally-Acclaimed And Highly Influential Recording & Performing Artist To Record First New Album In Five Years For Release Later In 2014

Excerpt:

HOLLYWOOD, Calif., Jan. 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Harvest Records has signed globally-renowned artist Morrissey to a worldwide recording agreement, it was announced today by the label's General Managers Piero Giramonti and Jacqueline Saturn. Morrissey's first album under the deal will be released in the second half of this year.

Morrissey stated that he is "thrilled" with the agreement, and will commence recording of his new album – the artist's first since 2009's Years Of Refusal – later this month in France with producer Joe Chiccarelli. Joining Morrissey in France will be his longtime recording and touring band, including Boz Boorer (guitar), Jesse Tobias (guitar), Solomon Walker (bass), Matthew Walker (drums) and Gustavo Manzur (keyboards). Tour dates for 2014 will be announced soon.

According to Capitol Music Group Chairman and CEO Steve Barnett, "Morrissey is clearly one of music's most important and influential artists. He is the rare soul who has stayed consistently true to his artistic vision and ethical principles since he first exploded onto the scene in the 1980s. We are so happy that he has chosen Capitol Music Group as his home and that his forthcoming album on Harvest will bring new Morrissey music to the world."

CMG Executive Vice President Michelle Jubelirer added, "Morrissey is a truly singular artist whose music and live performances first captured a worldwide audience thirty years ago and never let go. He is uncompromising in his integrity, extremely devoted to his fans and an artist with a unique and needed voice in our culture. It's so great that Morrissey is with CMG, and, more important, that he is about to record his first new album in five years."

Link and translation via Google Translate posted by Intl_Playboy / Twitter:

Morrissey, il prossimo album uscirà per la nuova Harvest - Rockol

Google Translate to English, excerpt:

January 15, 2014
Ended the relationship with Decca, Morrissey remains linked to the major label Universal Music under a new record deal signed with the Harvest (Capitol group). This was announced by the general manager of the label, Piero Giramonti and Jacqueline Saturn, anticipating that the artist Manchester will begin recording a new album this month in France along with the musicians who work with him for some time and the producer Joe Chiccarelli.

"Morrissey is one of the most important and influential artists in the music scene," said the number one Capitol Music Group Steve Barnett. "It 's also one of the few to have remained substantially true to his artistic vision and his ethical principles since he exploded onto the scene in the '80s." For its part, "Moz" had words of appreciation for the Harvest, the historic brand created in the 70s by which they recorded for EMI Pink Floyd and Deep Purple and that Universal has recently relaunched and mean to make it a sort of indie arm inside the majors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just been looking up recording studios in france , thought maybe miraval might get used but brangelina have been renting it since 2008 .. but found a studio where joe chiccarelli has recorded before ..la fabrique in saint remy de provence .. thats my guess anyway .... stalkers get ya flights booked !!!!

Just been looking up recording studios in france , thought maybe miraval might get used but brangelina have been renting it since 2008 .. but found a studio where joe chiccarelli has recorded before ..la fabrique in saint remy de provence .. thats my guess anyway .... stalkers get ya flights booked !!!!

That place looks amazing - a bit like a French Wool Hall.

I agree with this completely; music is subjective and we will never come to the same conclusions about what are his best or worst compositions. In my opinion, every record has had moments of brilliance, admittedly some more than others. I just hope that Morrissey realizes the importance of this next release; this is an opportunity to solidify his legacy. He needs to scrutunize his own work as brutally and honestly as he would anyone else's work. One of the challenges that Morrissey faces is that he set the bar so high for himself right from the opening lines of the first Smiths record; the expectations for his work are substantially higher, and hence, the disappointment is greater when he delivers something that might be considered great for another artist but only lackluster for him. My fingers are crossed for a record that has the elements that make Morrissey music magical: the intricate story-telling, the clever word play, the vivid imagery, and an emotional impact that makes you feel like someone has just punched you in the throat. I would also love to see a return to the iconic album cover imagery. I still admire his work immensely, and I am hoping for the best.

lynnda

Songs can be subjective, but albums rarely are, perhaps because an album can be more than the sum of its parts. There is general consensus regarding his best and worst solo work, and Viva, Vauxhall and Your Arsenal I suppose would always be at the top of most peoples' lists. For me the real dark horse, and one that I think will be considered a true classic is Quarry. It is a tour de force lyrically, and although I know the production has been criticised here I think the whole effect is sublime. When you also think of the b-sides which emerged from the sessions as well that was a remarkably fruitful time in his career.

Frankly with both ROTT and YOR it seemed people wanted to like them so much they glossed over the weaknesses, of which there were many. He was just as guilty of this, by informing us with a straight face that they were the best things he'd ever released. Please. I know he doesn't think we humans have brains, but my ears are just fine, thank you.

Both albums had a distinct veneer of the Emperor's new clothes about them. I remember hearing Paris first on a terrible Youtube live clip with some pillock jabbering over it and drooling at the thought of an album full of such catchy stuff, but it was a forlorn hope.

There are half a dozen here who will profess to love the new stuff regardless, and a few who will hate it regardless. The majority of us, who want to hear it before passing judgement, will be jumped all over by the acolytes for the merest indication we might not consider it the greatest thing ever.

That said, like a tumbling, filthy old comet he seems to operate around a certain orbit, with something very special about once every decade. 1984. 1994. 2004. 2014?

Last edited:
Music is of course subjective, but albums rarely are, perhaps because an album can be more than the sum of its parts. There is general consensus regarding his best and worst solo work, and Viva, Vauxhall and Your Arsenal I suppose would always be at the top of most peoples' lists. For me the real dark horse, and one that I think will be considered a true classic is Quarry. It is a tour de force lyrically, and although I know the production has been criticised here I think the whole effect is sublime. When you also think of the b-sides which emerged from the sessions as well that was a remarkably fruitful time in his career.

Frankly with both ROTT and YOR it seemed people wanted to like them so much they glossed over the weaknesses, of which there were many. He was just as guilty of this, by informing us with a straight face that they were the best things he'd ever released. Please. I know he doesn't think we humans have brains, but my ears are just fine, thank you.

Both albums had a distinct veneer of the Emperor's new clothes about them. I remember hearing Paris first on a terrible Youtube live clip with some pillock jabbering over it and drooling at the thought of an album full of such catchy stuff, but it was a forlorn hope.

There are half a dozen here who will profess to love the new stuff regardless, and a few who will hate it regardless. The majority of us, who want to hear it before passing judgement, will be jumped all over by the acolytes for the merest indication we might not consider it the greatest thing ever.

That said, like a tumbling, filthy old comet he seems to operate around a certain orbit, with something very special about once every decade. 1984. 1994. 2004. 2014?

I 100% agree with everything you wrote Johnny. I am constantly surprised by the number of people that think ROTT and YOR were great albums. I can remember back to before I even purchased ROTT, learned of the "explosive kegs between my legs" lyric and thought to myself "well that can't be good". And the muddied, uninspired, guitar playing throughout left me wondering who murdered the band that played on YATQ?

I find it nearly impossible to believe with the same cast of characters that anything resembling a hit song will be possible, unless like I have read on this site, the producer can have some effect on the outcome. Ultimately, it won't make much of a difference as his time in the spotlight of the music industry has passed, and the new music will not be played by radio stations (at least in the US). I'm afraid, the only real chance of hearing it in public would be to pass by an open window. Like everyone else though...there is always the hope of better things to come.

I like all of his music, it stands apart from others. I truly mean it. His lyrics are beyond most. Only a few others write as well as he does.

The other very good news ( at least this is what I am really hoping for...) is that we shouldnt get any more reissues for a while.....

Cheers Moz

I 100% agree with everything you wrote Johnny. I am constantly surprised by the number of people that think ROTT and YOR were great albums. I can remember back to before I even purchased ROTT, learned of the "explosive kegs between my legs" lyric and thought to myself "well that can't be good". And the muddied, uninspired, guitar playing throughout left me wondering who murdered the band that played on YATQ?

I find it nearly impossible to believe with the same cast of characters that anything resembling a hit song will be possible, unless like I have read on this site, the producer can have some effect on the outcome. Ultimately, it won't make much of a difference as his time in the spotlight of the music industry has passed, and the new music will not be played by radio stations (at least in the US). I'm afraid, the only real chance of hearing it in public would be to pass by an open window. Like everyone else though...there is always the hope of better things to come.

I can't think of an album by anyone which I play from start to finish these days, but that might be down to the age of the playlist. I've noticed I tend to class great albums as having perhaps six or seven decent tracks over the ten or twelve. For me ROTT had three, and YOR had just two. Quarry had eight.

If he's working in France, do you think he might sing in French? That would be nice. Or get Daft Punk to remix? Hopefully Boz has found another couple of old Clash riffs like IBEH & FOTGTD. I love the Clash and it was great to hear Moz impersonate them so well on YARQ

If he's working in France, do you think he might sing in French? That would be nice. Or get Daft Punk to remix? Hopefully Boz has found another couple of old Clash riffs like IBEH & FOTGTD. I love the Clash and it was great to hear Moz impersonate them so well on YARQ

Both were written by Alain and sound nothing like The Clash...

I always thought the Clash were overrated. Hated all that cod-reggae shit. Bankrobber was good. Palais. London Calling - the track. Errr...

So very happy!

Amazing news!

Not far off. I liked Paris and That's How People Grow Up. The rest was not great, to be kind. Ringleaders wasn't much better. Dear God, You Have Killed Me and Pigsty, plus nine almost embarrassingly poor efforts. The reason I'm not jumping up and down with glee at this news is I was once excited at the thought of Kill Uncle being recorded and I've learnt my lesson.

The inconvenient truth is he hasn't delivered a decent album in a decade, and the stuff he has let loose since Refusal has been pretty rotten by the standards we know he is capable of delivering. Plus he's a lot harder to like as a person these days, which is quite a feat when you think about it.

I still hope for a Vauxhall-Viva style return, and I'd be just as happy with something as great as Quarry. We'll see.

I agree. Refusal had about three decent songs, Ringstinker had about four good songs. Last great album was Quarry. The new songs from last 3 years are weak bsides at best. Moz still has a great voice. He just needs fresh musical input and needs to broaden his musical horizons. All those drummers are useless compared to Deano, and he needs to replace one or two guitarists, and get some bloody good tunes together, and stop being his own worst enemy. And get rid of all the yes men he surrounds himself with.

Songs can be subjective, but albums rarely are...

No - all art is subjective. Consensus counts for nothing - it doesn't make anyone's subjective response any more "right" or "wrong".

The majority of us, who want to hear it before passing judgement, will be jumped all over by the acolytes for the merest indication we might not consider it the greatest thing ever.

Ha ha, right. The "majority of us" being people like you who find a negative angle to Morrissey's every breath, who frequently criticise everything before they've actually seen, read or heard the results...? Yeah, of course - you're the hard-done-by truth-tellers. JB, that's the most hilarious sentence you've ever posted on here!

He had said that "Action", "People", "Kids a looker" would be properly recorded in a studio once he got a record contract. I do hope he puts them as b-sides, however. I do quite like "Action" but it seems so old now and it was, along with"People" included on "25:Live" and released as studio session b-sides so it's not just the core fans who would think so.

- - - Updated - - -

I am very much hoping this is true;)

I'm looking for the interview but can't find it. I just remember him saying something along the lines of "those songs [referring to Action, People, etc] are already old now and will remain only on YouTube and the internet - not recorded in studio" or something like that.

I don't find living in a class dominated society amusing; a society where the ruling class always has hold of the governing power of society, as political power of the few accumulates along with the accumulation of wealth produced by the many.

Anyone else find it funny that despite having signed for four different record labels, they're now all owned by the same people?

Best news of the year!!! new album & hopefully a UK tour. Love to see him in Plymouth again

Back
Top Bottom