Under the Hood of Morrissey’s ‘World Peace...’ With Producer Joe Chiccarelli - Radio.com

He mentions that 18 tracks were cut and that "Kiss Me A Lot" was originally meant to be a B-side. I'd like to know which of the bonus tracks were actually in contention to take it's place.

Great article. I think the album would be even better if Chiccarelli had been able to do exactly what he wanted. That rockier version of Bullfighter would surely be very interesting, though I love it the way it is on the album, and I certainly could do without the minute and a half of "nothing" during the intro of "I'm not a man", a song that I didnt like much at first and now I love though I've done my own edit of the sond, down to 5 minutes and I like it much more that way.

Great article. I think the album would be even better if Chiccarelli had been able to do exactly what he wanted. That rockier version of Bullfighter would surely be very interesting, though I love it the way it is on the album, and I certainly could do without the minute and a half of "nothing" during the intro of "I'm not a man", a song that I didnt like much at first and now I love though I've done my own edit of the sond, down to 5 minutes and I like it much more that way.

I don't get the ambient noise at the beginning of 'I'm Not a Man'; it's been described as a seven minute epic. If you cut the noise at the beginning, it's 4:56. No one's ever described a 4:56 epic...

I don't get the ambient noise at the beginning of 'I'm Not a Man'; it's been described as a seven minute epic. If you cut the noise at the beginning, it's 4:56. No one's ever described a 4:56 epic...

Dear son,

It is Moz-fetish, just like long intro on "Teachers...", or long finale on "Southpaw", or long middle in " Susan", or... ... And, IT WORKS!

we'll let you know

thanks for posting as it was a great read. i could also do without the min long gap of silence before im not a man. its to early in the tracklist for that much silence. i get that it centers the song which is a statement but it would have worked better for me if the song was around track six instead of three. was also very curious about the rockier version of bullfighter as its the most traditional morrissey song to my ears.

He mentions that 18 tracks were cut and that "Kiss Me A Lot" was originally meant to be a B-side. I'd like to know which of the bonus tracks were actually in contention to take it's place.

I would hazard a guess as Art-Hounds, but it's only a guess, of course...

also very curious about the rockier version of bullfighter as its the most traditional morrissey song to my ears.

Yes, I'd love to hear that. Bullfighter is probably the weakest song on there for me and I think I'd prefer it to be more akin to the live version.

It is credited in the booklet though, isn't it? For Gustavo.
He's played flamenco-style guitar live before for Morrissey — particularly in "When Last I Spoke to Carol" and "Paris."

Yes, it is Gustav mcrickson. Among other instruments, he plays a NASTY nylon. You'd never guess unless you knew someone who knows him.

“I didn’t know he would be so actively involved in every aspect of the process. I mean every aspect, down to the mixes."

Just a few other examples...

Johnny - 'Morrissey insisted on the "falling elevator" sound on Rubber Ring'
Nevin - 'M. ordered the solo on Tony the Pony to fade after a few seconds'
Morrissey to Lillywhite - 'Steve. The Who. Shepherd's Bush. 1965'
The clearly audible "'e looks queer" sample on Spring Heeled Jim.
The mid-section added to We'll Let You Know. (Alain to journalist Michael Leonard - "Morrissey wanted the guitar part repeated eight times.')

Praise or blame ultimately goes to his master's voice

cool, i love bullfighter myself but ya know whatever. id say staircase and kiss me a lot kinda bore me as they get very standard in the drumming and just kinda go bye for me though i do like the joy in the chorus of kiss me a lot (though its hard to imagine morrissey as a person who likes to be touched or kissed).

yeah i think it a common misconception that marr did all of the arrangements in the smiths music and thats just not so. probably why viva hate and many other morrissey solo albums still retain many of there smith like qualities while marr has still to make an album that excites me. came closest with electronic but cant get on with much else of what hes done. saw marr tour the latest solo album in d.c and baltimore and it was alright but he needed a singer lyricist to help keep up my interest.

I suddenly have a wave of respect for Morrissey and his involvement in the details. I foolishly imagined his job was done when the producer said he got the take he needed. I loved reading this article. Joe's a keeper.

Back
Top Bottom