Morrissey signed to Harvest (Capitol); to record in France with producer Joe Chiccarelli

UPDATE 10:50 AM PT:

Link posted by Uncleskinny:

Morrissey has signed a two-album deal with Capitol Music in Los Angeles, and is set to record a new album in France starting on February 1st - true-to-you.net
15 January 2014

Morrissey has signed a two-album deal with Capitol Music in Los Angeles. He is set to record a new album in France starting on February 1st. Producer is Joe Chiccarelli, and musicians are Boz Boorer (guitar), Jesse Tobias (guitar), Gustavo Manzur (piano), Solomon Walker (bass guitar) and Matt Walker (drums). This will be Morrissey's first album since Years Of Refusal, which was recorded in 2008. Morrissey has been signed by Steve Barnett at Capitol Music.

Posted by mozzalini999 (original post):

Twitter alive with reports of a new deal. Check this out:

MORRISSEY SIGNS WORLDWIDE RECORDING AGREEMENT WITH HARVEST RECORDS - PR Newswire
Globally-Acclaimed And Highly Influential Recording & Performing Artist To Record First New Album In Five Years For Release Later In 2014

Excerpt:

HOLLYWOOD, Calif., Jan. 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Harvest Records has signed globally-renowned artist Morrissey to a worldwide recording agreement, it was announced today by the label's General Managers Piero Giramonti and Jacqueline Saturn. Morrissey's first album under the deal will be released in the second half of this year.

Morrissey stated that he is "thrilled" with the agreement, and will commence recording of his new album – the artist's first since 2009's Years Of Refusal – later this month in France with producer Joe Chiccarelli. Joining Morrissey in France will be his longtime recording and touring band, including Boz Boorer (guitar), Jesse Tobias (guitar), Solomon Walker (bass), Matthew Walker (drums) and Gustavo Manzur (keyboards). Tour dates for 2014 will be announced soon.

According to Capitol Music Group Chairman and CEO Steve Barnett, "Morrissey is clearly one of music's most important and influential artists. He is the rare soul who has stayed consistently true to his artistic vision and ethical principles since he first exploded onto the scene in the 1980s. We are so happy that he has chosen Capitol Music Group as his home and that his forthcoming album on Harvest will bring new Morrissey music to the world."

CMG Executive Vice President Michelle Jubelirer added, "Morrissey is a truly singular artist whose music and live performances first captured a worldwide audience thirty years ago and never let go. He is uncompromising in his integrity, extremely devoted to his fans and an artist with a unique and needed voice in our culture. It's so great that Morrissey is with CMG, and, more important, that he is about to record his first new album in five years."

Link and translation via Google Translate posted by Intl_Playboy / Twitter:

Morrissey, il prossimo album uscirà per la nuova Harvest - Rockol

Google Translate to English, excerpt:

January 15, 2014
Ended the relationship with Decca, Morrissey remains linked to the major label Universal Music under a new record deal signed with the Harvest (Capitol group). This was announced by the general manager of the label, Piero Giramonti and Jacqueline Saturn, anticipating that the artist Manchester will begin recording a new album this month in France along with the musicians who work with him for some time and the producer Joe Chiccarelli.

"Morrissey is one of the most important and influential artists in the music scene," said the number one Capitol Music Group Steve Barnett. "It 's also one of the few to have remained substantially true to his artistic vision and his ethical principles since he exploded onto the scene in the '80s." For its part, "Moz" had words of appreciation for the Harvest, the historic brand created in the 70s by which they recorded for EMI Pink Floyd and Deep Purple and that Universal has recently relaunched and mean to make it a sort of indie arm inside the majors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't heard the new album, but let me assure you right from the off, it's terrible. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan, but, y'know, it doesn't take a genius to figure out this album is going to be full of dreary, smudged guitar and mediocre lyrics. I mean, I haven't heard it, obviously, but, you know, it's terrible. And anyone who disagrees with me is obviously some kind of mindless member of 'the cult of morrissey' whose opinions can't be considered because they're, like, mentally ill. Whereas I, who was a big fan of Morrissey before the aforementioned brainwashed fans were, am far more balanced/rational therefore am able to whinge on endlessly about how he's changed, changed, changed and become something I didn't want him ever to become, the Judas motherf***er... I can't breathe, I can't breathe, I can't breathe, waaaaah, waaaah, waaaaah, waaaaah! I've pissed my pants. I hate you, Morrissey, for ruining my life. I expected more. Even, though, when all's said and done, you're a singer/songwriter and not the Second f***ing Coming. Isn't it funny how the haters are always decrying the supporters for lacking objectivity when it is they themselves who are ridiculously lacking in objectivity when it comes to the Morrissey of the 80s? Guess, what? He was just as fallible and silly (and unique and marvellous) back then. You absolute f***ing BELL ENDS!!!

Here endeth the sermon.

Don't respond. None of this is as important to me as it is to you, you gut-ulcer motherf***er.

"Ooooh, I'm John Cornybarl and I'm like so angry I have to dedicate minutes and minutes and minutes of my life to telling you just how much none of this matters to me because I'm, like, you know, above it all? I mean, I'm like SO over Morrissey.

And, yet, I remain...

Add up the minutes, you dolt. Add them up and consider, just for a moment, how you might have put them to better use.

Surely, if you're as smart as you try (desperately) to project, we are now capable of generating enough energy to power an entire city by setting fire to a Lefty.

But.

But.

But.

None of you are Morrissey, are you?

None of you have ever had anything remotely approaching an impact, have you?

Never mind. Just keep picking and picking and picking away. But to what end? To what end? Seriously. Why?

The whole wide f***ing world is happening without you.

You don't count.

And neither do I.

But, this single, minute-long rant aside, I'm not going to waste any more time with this f***ing shit.

Nighty-night fanboys and haters (there's no difference, really).
\

I always thought the Clash were overrated. Hated all that cod-reggae shit. Bankrobber was good. Palais. London Calling - the track. Errr...

I have to agree. I bought their first album as an import shortly after buying "Never Mind the Bollocks" which set the standard for me and no punk band ever matched. I was so disappointed. It's also why I've never really been a+ Ramones fan although "Rocket to Russia" is classic. I would listen to The Sex Pistols in the morning with headphones on, on vinyl through real headphones, because I couldn't play it loud in the house. (I was 12) But I kept trying to find something else as good as The Sex Pistols and gave up. I did like "I'm So Bored With the USA" and a few others but everything suffered from the comparison to the Sex Pistols.

Back on topic, maybe Morrissey should get Steve Jones in the band! Or Chris Spedding, who some people think actually played a lot of that guitar.

\

Some truth to this. If you are mad at Morrissey for letting you down then you still care, and if you're passionate about it, then you care a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't heard the new album, but let me assure you right from the off, it's terrible.

[TEDIOUS DRIVEL REDACTED]

\

I do enjoy the way you cannot write about Morrissey without mentioning me. :thumb:

I have to agree. I bought their first album as an import shortly after buying "Never Mind the Bollocks" which set the standard for me and no punk band ever matched. I was so disappointed. It's also why I've never really been a+ Ramones fan although "Rocket to Russia" is classic. I would listen to The Sex Pistols in the morning with headphones on, on vinyl through real headphones, because I couldn't play it loud in the house. (I was 12) But I kept trying to find something else as good as The Sex Pistols and gave up. I did like "I'm So Bored With the USA" and a few others but everything suffered from the comparison to the Sex Pistols.

Back on topic, maybe Morrissey should get Steve Jones in the band! Or Chris Spedding, who some people think actually played a lot of that guitar.

There are very few bands whose reputation will last, and I think the Pistols are one of them. The Beatles and The Smiths are others in what is a very short list. Perhaps the reason is the same. They came along at the right time, became synonymous with the era and left leaving people wondering what might have been if they'd continued a little longer.

I'm no republican, but the Pistol's God Save The Queen is one of the greatest three minutes ever put to vinyl.

Finally a new record!!!!!!! but where is Alain Whyte????? :confused:

Moz, call Alain Whyte again please!!!!!!!

i agree please call alain again and again, if he doesn't answer send a fax. jesse is a fabtastic guitarist but still haven't wrote a good song. even with mozzer's voice you can't safe crappy music. boz needs some good new fresh vitamins too.

i agree please call alain again and again, if he doesn't answer send a fax. jesse is a fabtastic guitarist but still haven't wrote a good song. even with mozzer's voice you can't safe crappy music. boz needs some good new fresh vitamins too.
Tobbias sucks, weakest tracks of ROTT and YOR songs were co-written with him... and too much distortion for Smiths and early solo songs

Not wanting to set hare's running as I think the band are great and I've heard them live a few times too, and they are great live too, but Alain released an instrumental called "misfortune" which is rocking and up-tempo. I think he recorded it himself. It's a bit light on the drums and also on the bass and it could do with the "will-I-am" production team messing around with it, but then again, there is that tuning and style in his playing. And this totally and completely complimented Boz Boorer like no other guitar pair since 1990. Mixed up with the Walkers and the keyboards of Gustav, then I have to say that Alain may need pinning down a bit but it would be interesting to see how that would sound, if only in dreams and sometimes the amazing Boorer and Whyte in acoustic mode too. But then again, there is that book. Those comments. And throughout the book there are those comments and always there (as the cryptic to this post presents me above)

(here is a deliberate pause.)

forgive me.

Lets face it, we all want Morrissey and Boz to come out with the best album they have ever created
and then have ever recorded.......

That's right. The best album they have ever created and the best album that they have ever recorded. YOR was nearly there, it has some great songs on there
and arrangements. Lets see what happens with they get over to France.

Best.

I was thinking about this band thing and the Whyte thing and

1. We know it is not going to happen

2. This is not just because of the YOR car park "incident" (or "humiliation") or whatever else you could dream up - and then cry - for everyone involved. Especially Alain.

3. Not only that, but then to have to listen to someone "butcher" your songs (from the car park) and months later on CD, must be hard to cope with (on a number of different levels.) I imagine being at home and in the studio and working with Crazy Madonna is a blessed relief (after all of those things.)

4. Anyway, here's what they would all sound like now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8P-pTzWgZ8

5. Remember, everyone makes mistakes. But then again, the problem is that mistakes were made a long time ago and they keep continuing. God can you believe the car park situation ? It's just so daft and so stupid and so childish and so annoying and so frustrating and I mean, I love em and they still do this !

Someone with a big nose who knows informed me that he had spoken to Jesse after a show c. 2009-2011 and that the additional tracks with Whyte co-writes (I'm Looking Forward To Going Back, When I Was Young, I Was Bully, Do Not Forget Me) were left unfinished because Jerry Finn fell ill before they completed tracking/mixing. I suppose, as has been Morrissey's tendency in the past, when a track is not completed at the time of the sessions (e.g., Fantastic Bird, Home Is a Question Mark, I'm Just Playing Easy To Get, Action Man), he seems to move on from them. In the case of the incomplete Years of Refusal tracks, I imagine the death of Finn cast a pall over those tracks and they were artistic collateral damage as a result - or irrelevant to him when he began to write new material again.

I'm still hoping he'll get around to a proper studio recording of "I'm Playing Easy to Get." Always wanted to see that one in proper form; didn't he attempt it and scrap it during the Ringleader sessions with Visconti?

I'm still hoping he'll get around to a proper studio recording of "I'm Playing Easy to Get." Always wanted to see that one in proper form; didn't he attempt it and scrap it during the Ringleader sessions with Visconti?

Boz told me they did record a studio version of that song.

Now we've got the Alain thing sorted out - and he is not coming back - does this mean that they will be able to record
AND release ART HOUNDS AND ACTION MAN at the next recording ?

And what about :

Agreeable Civil Servant

Experiment

Glass Menagerie

In Control of Dame Dominance

One Of Our Own

Sisterama

Agreeable Civil Servant

Buddy Buried Deeply

I Don't Want Us To Finish

Belfast

Cage Of Marriage

Chainsaw

Experiment

Home Is A Question Mark

One Of Our Own

Sisterama

Buddy Buried Deeply

Snake Curves Silently

Glass Menagerie

I'm Not Worth Hitting

Take Us The Way We Are

Fast Car, Sharp Bend, Goodbye
- this is RUMOURED TO BE A GREAT SONG FOR EDDIE COCHRAN. could be wrong.

Hanratty

I Know Who I Love

Nightmare

The Leeches Go On Removing

Teresa, Teresa

When I Was Young

I'm Looking Forward To Going Back

Bully

I wonder what drew him to that specific producer? Not a great CV firstly.
I had this romantic notion that Mr Street would surface again someday, up until 'the book' surfaced which put an end to any hope of that.
Same with Tony Visconti, I loved the sound of ROTT.

Ah well I might be surprised...ahem.

1525281_203077403225421_1896074394_n.jpg

wow, did not expect to read some actual news worthy of commenting on here :eek:
anyways, as always, I look forward to hearing what comes out of all this, regardless of what has come before
for me, when it comes to our Moz, hope springs eternal :blushing:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom