Morrissey signed to Harvest (Capitol); to record in France with producer Joe Chiccarelli

UPDATE 10:50 AM PT:

Link posted by Uncleskinny:

Morrissey has signed a two-album deal with Capitol Music in Los Angeles, and is set to record a new album in France starting on February 1st - true-to-you.net
15 January 2014

Morrissey has signed a two-album deal with Capitol Music in Los Angeles. He is set to record a new album in France starting on February 1st. Producer is Joe Chiccarelli, and musicians are Boz Boorer (guitar), Jesse Tobias (guitar), Gustavo Manzur (piano), Solomon Walker (bass guitar) and Matt Walker (drums). This will be Morrissey's first album since Years Of Refusal, which was recorded in 2008. Morrissey has been signed by Steve Barnett at Capitol Music.

Posted by mozzalini999 (original post):

Twitter alive with reports of a new deal. Check this out:

MORRISSEY SIGNS WORLDWIDE RECORDING AGREEMENT WITH HARVEST RECORDS - PR Newswire
Globally-Acclaimed And Highly Influential Recording & Performing Artist To Record First New Album In Five Years For Release Later In 2014

Excerpt:

HOLLYWOOD, Calif., Jan. 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Harvest Records has signed globally-renowned artist Morrissey to a worldwide recording agreement, it was announced today by the label's General Managers Piero Giramonti and Jacqueline Saturn. Morrissey's first album under the deal will be released in the second half of this year.

Morrissey stated that he is "thrilled" with the agreement, and will commence recording of his new album – the artist's first since 2009's Years Of Refusal – later this month in France with producer Joe Chiccarelli. Joining Morrissey in France will be his longtime recording and touring band, including Boz Boorer (guitar), Jesse Tobias (guitar), Solomon Walker (bass), Matthew Walker (drums) and Gustavo Manzur (keyboards). Tour dates for 2014 will be announced soon.

According to Capitol Music Group Chairman and CEO Steve Barnett, "Morrissey is clearly one of music's most important and influential artists. He is the rare soul who has stayed consistently true to his artistic vision and ethical principles since he first exploded onto the scene in the 1980s. We are so happy that he has chosen Capitol Music Group as his home and that his forthcoming album on Harvest will bring new Morrissey music to the world."

CMG Executive Vice President Michelle Jubelirer added, "Morrissey is a truly singular artist whose music and live performances first captured a worldwide audience thirty years ago and never let go. He is uncompromising in his integrity, extremely devoted to his fans and an artist with a unique and needed voice in our culture. It's so great that Morrissey is with CMG, and, more important, that he is about to record his first new album in five years."

Link and translation via Google Translate posted by Intl_Playboy / Twitter:

Morrissey, il prossimo album uscirà per la nuova Harvest - Rockol

Google Translate to English, excerpt:

January 15, 2014
Ended the relationship with Decca, Morrissey remains linked to the major label Universal Music under a new record deal signed with the Harvest (Capitol group). This was announced by the general manager of the label, Piero Giramonti and Jacqueline Saturn, anticipating that the artist Manchester will begin recording a new album this month in France along with the musicians who work with him for some time and the producer Joe Chiccarelli.

"Morrissey is one of the most important and influential artists in the music scene," said the number one Capitol Music Group Steve Barnett. "It 's also one of the few to have remained substantially true to his artistic vision and his ethical principles since he exploded onto the scene in the '80s." For its part, "Moz" had words of appreciation for the Harvest, the historic brand created in the 70s by which they recorded for EMI Pink Floyd and Deep Purple and that Universal has recently relaunched and mean to make it a sort of indie arm inside the majors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would expect "People are the same everywhere"(which I love), "Action is my middle name", and "Scandinavia" to be on the album. I particularly like "Art-Hounds", so I hope that's on there...but "The kid's a looker" feels like a b-side to me. Hope this has been helpful. :D

I'm guessing this will be the first album since Your Arsenal with no Alain songs on it...something of a watershed.

Two things that I don't want to see: Vinyl only b-sides and the second album being yet another compilation.

It won't be. We've been told by various sources that there are enough new songs for two albums.
I wouldn't want to vouch for their quality, though...

"Last Gang In Town" The Clash

"Everybody's looking for last gang in town
You better watch out for they're all comin' around

The sport of today is exciting
The in crowd are into infighting
When some punk sees some rock-olla
It's rock and roll all over
In every street and every station
Kids fight like different nations
And it's brawn against brain
And it's knife against chain
But it's all young blood
Flowing down the drain"

"Hector was the..."

"there's always someone, somewhere with a big nose, who knows, trips you up and laughs"

Shows how clueless you are about music. Not just the riffs but the lyrics.

Quite a good track, actually. But aside from the word "gang" I can't hear the connection. Musically, First of the Gang is far more like Trash by Suede. Aside from Born To Hang, I can't really hear the influence of The Clash anywhere in the Morrissey oeuvre, which is odd given how keen he appeared to be on Strummer.

buenas noticias, moz necesita nuevos aires, nuevas influencias, algo que lo motive que lo inspire, tal vez algunas localidades francesas le den esto que necesita con urgencia

Quite a good track, actually. But aside from the word "gang" I can't hear the connection. Musically, First of the Gang is far more like Trash by Suede. Aside from Born To Hang, I can't really hear the influence of The Clash anywhere in the Morrissey oeuvre, which is odd given how keen he appeared to be on Strummer.

I think the Alain/Johnny Panic & the Bible of Dream's track:
"Not Bitter, But Bored"
Which IBEH is directly created from has a Clash element to it, but not enough to state a direct plagiaristic link.
But agree otherwise.
Regards,
FWD

Then you're deaf. Morrissey hero-worshipped Strummer and the ethos and stylistic grandeur of The Clash is all over IBEH & FOTGTD : they're great songs, but as a thought experiment, have Joe Strummer sing them in your mind and it's all revealed. I hope there's 2 songs of similar quality on the new album but if not, there's always "Kid's A Looker".

I would expect "People are the same everywhere"(which I love), "Action is my middle name", and "Scandinavia" to be on the album. I particularly like "Art-Hounds", so I hope that's on there...but "The kid's a looker" feels like a b-side to me. Hope this has been helpful. :D

f***, your avatar is disturbing!

Then you're deaf. Morrissey hero-worshipped Strummer and the ethos and stylistic grandeur of The Clash is all over IBEH & FOTGTD : they're great songs, but as a thought experiment, have Joe Strummer sing them in your mind and it's all revealed. I hope there's 2 songs of similar quality on the new album but if not, there's always "Kid's A Looker".

Well, Beethoven was deaf. But, no, I don't hear it in the riffage of either song, though I admit there may be something in the ethos and delivery of Irish Blood. Musically, though, it's Born To Hang that has Strummer and co's fingerprints all over it.

Last edited:
Totally. He needs to release an album soon, in order to capitalise on the Autobiography publicity and it needs to be better than the songs he's touted since YOR or he'll get a critical mauling. Even if his unheared material is no better, I'd rather hear a poor album made up of new material than a poor album half of which I've already heard.

Contrary to some comments, YOR and ROTT are not weak albums. I actually think ROTT is his strongest solo album, and YOR is not all that far behind. If he can recapture that sort of form, he may end up with the biggest commercial success of his career. Not that that's what counts, but it matters to Morrissey.

I hope the deal includes some good promo video money. The one thing he has left to do as far as his music career goes, IMO, is a genuinely classic music video.

Even Alain Whyte didn't like ROTT.

(yes, I asked him).

Well, Beethoven was deaf. But, no, I don't hear it in the riffage of either song, though I admit there may be something in the ethos and delivery of Irish Blood. Musically, though, it's Born To Hang that has Strummer and co's fingerprints all over it.

Born To Hang deserved proper treatment... was it on the Bona Drag reissue or am I thinking of Oh Phoney? One of them showed up on a reissue and the "official" copy wasn't nearly as good as the bootleg (IMO, of course!)

Soooo, Joe Chiccarelli is pretty f***ing awesome. It would be like if Matisse produced my next cutout. :cool:

the intricate story-telling, the clever word play, the vivid imagery, and an emotional impact that makes you feel like someone has just punched you in the throat. I would also love to see a return to the iconic album cover imagery. I still admire his work immensely, and I am hoping for the best.

All these are fine but what about the guitars, the sound they make and all the many talented people out there who play and create really decent sounds ?
The Boz man has run his course. If I was Morrissey I would be on the phone to Poison Ivy (The Cramps) and see if she would pick up the axe again (R I P Lux)
Can you imagine what kind of album that would be like ? That would really blow the cobwebs away from all the latest crap 4 chord predictable rubbish.

Does anyone have any other collaborators they would like to see on board ? Lets have a list going. No 1 POISON IVY (Benny-t-B)

Benny-the-Butcher

For me, it has always been more about the lyrics and the vocals, not just with Morrissey, but with all artists. However, I can definitely see your point (for once!); it's really crucial that all of the elements fall into place for this next record, and he really does seem to need some new inspiration. There are so many musicians adrift out there because of the current state of the industry. He could keep his current band, if that is what makes him happy, but he should certainly consider some diverse collaborations.

Even Alain Whyte didn't like ROTT.

(yes, I asked him).

I believe his reservations were related to the mix, i.e., how Tobias's sludge-o-rama was dominant in the guitars. I can't imagine he hates Dear God, Please Help Me or Life is a Pigsty. Or the other material that he wrote that stopped the whole thing from being a botch.

Glad to see the Walker bros reunited. They are a killer rhythm section.

Stay tuned for albums to be released that few people will buy, and tours to support those albums that will feature cancelled/postponed dates. More of the same from Moz...

Stay tuned for albums to be released that few people will buy, and tours to support those albums that will feature cancelled/postponed dates. More of the same from Moz...

You forgot to mention late "official announcements via TTY" (What a joke), The fantastic support act , all songs written in collaboration with "Boring-Boz-Bleeding-Borer"
Otherwise spot on take an apple from the bowl.

Benny-the-Butcher

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom