Joe Chiccarelli discusses recording "World Peace..." in Mix (Aug. 2014)

A very interesting read, I especially like the bit where it mentions that Morrissey sent demos for 26 songs ahead of time. So there's 8 "songs" that we don't know about yet. (Five, if three of them are People, Action and The Kid's...)

Before heading to France, Chiccarelli had asked Morrissey to provide demos of the songs they’d be working on, but by the time they all arrived at La Fabrique, the producer understood that arrangements and lyrics would really come together in the studio.

“The funny thing is, I insisted on those demos, and he said, ‘Absolutely,’ and sent me 26 of them,” Chiccarelli recalls. “But there were no vocals. It was a surprise to me, but this is the way he always works. Sometimes the people he writes with put demos together, and then for the ones that inspire him, he’ll come up with melodies and lyrics to put on top. But you never ever know what that is until you go into the studio.

I knew zero about acoustics and treatments before building out a screening room in my home, and having listened to the production on WPINOYB, especially the title track, the thing that stood out most is how lively the recording is. Not bright at all, just very lively. After looking at the studio, you can see why. Great article.

The album was a blatant show of self indulgence on the part of JC (not, "that" JC), its like, here's me and here's what I can do, cheese ball sound effects, whistles, rivers, the start of I'm not a man? What the f*** was all that about by the way, did he explain that?

..I think the extra minute of intro ( in my opinion ) was added to 'I'm not a man' so when one concatenated all 18 tracks in the 'Deluxe' it totals over 80 minutes conveniently. Therefore a 2-CD pressing can be made to allow for premium pricing... Trim off the intro and its 79 minutes....

This stood out for me on the record as well. The band sounds tight. They sound like veteran studio musicians. Their skill set is high. They are not a "pub band."

As far as drummers go, I have been seeing Morrissey concerts since 1991. Spencer was great. Butterworth started out so tame it wasn't even funny and then became this guy who played shirtless with an intensity that was incredible. That Deano, when Moz introduced the band, often got the biggest applause out of any member of the band (and this is with Boz and Alain on stage). I was sad to see him leave for "Bad Charlotte"

Nice read. I definitely hope he works with Joe on the next LP. This part really stuck out for me, especially because I think a lot of people sell his current band wayyyy too short:

“It’s interesting: I work a lot with studio musicians, and they’re used to making records all day long, whereas this band is a live touring band, and some of them don’t have a lot of studio experience,” Chiccarelli says. “The skill set that you use in the recording studio is different from live, but what these players brought to the project in terms of intensity and excitement...”

..I think the extra minute of intro ( in my opinion ) was added to 'I'm not a man' so when one concatenated all 18 tracks in the 'Deluxe' it totals over 80 minutes conveniently. Therefore a 2-CD pressing can be made to allow for premium pricing... Trim off the intro and its 79 minutes....

I don't think timing would stop any label from trying to extract more money where possible

The Recording Studio looks really lovely...

Cheers Moz

This stood out for me on the record as well. The band sounds tight. They sound like veteran studio musicians. Their skill set is high. They are not a "pub band."

As far as drummers go, I have been seeing Morrissey concerts since 1991. Spencer was great. Butterworth started out so tame it wasn't even funny and then became this guy who played shirtless with an intensity that was incredible. That Deano, when Moz introduced the band, often got the biggest applause out of any member of the band (and this is with Boz and Alain on stage). I was sad to see him leave for "Bad Charlotte"

Now Deano leads the house band on "Hollywood Game Night" http://www.nbc.com/hollywood-game-night

Having recently visited St Remy I can vouch for what a creative setting it is. Although Moz wasn't there for the annual bullrunning festival. I coincidentally was.
I'd like to Think some of the area influenced the lyrics eg Kiss Me A Lot's use of mausoleum. Van Gogh self-incarcerated himself at the St Paul asylum, where he created some of his most famous works. Strangely enough it is still a working mental hospital which sells in-patients artworks in the gift shop.

Although a beautiful setting vegetarian food in St Remy was practically non-existent. And as for the bull festival.... Perhaps another inspiration ?

Great article, very informative. Thanks for sharing. I hope the remaining songs that weren't recorded will eventually see the light of day.

On the subject of Morrissey's drummers, I think Spencer is the most technically proficient and dynamic of the bunch, but the energy Matt brings to the proceedings is an invaluable component of the Morrissey live experience.

funny. he's the least technical drummer i think i've ever seen.

More La Fabrique ~

Cave says "It's f***ing great" ~

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great read. I would've loved to have a video like Nick Cave's one but in Morrissey's world that wouldn't seem right I guess. What a great insight to one of Morrissey's best albums in a long time. i wonder what Joe's thoughts are on Harvest.

the new spoon record does indeed sound great. lively comes to mind

I tried listening to the Jack White album Joe produced but I can't stomach Jack White's voice at all. After seeing that documentary It Might Get Loud White came of as a bit of a tool. I know a lot of people dig his music. I wish i could.

his music is pretty good though he is for sure, or at least very much comes off as, a tool. i didnt listen or pay the white stypes much attention because of this though songs here and there filtered through. when i got the raconteurs record is when i went back to them and appreciated a bit more than i had. i was a vines a brmc fan vs the strokes white strypes side of things.

his music is pretty good though he is for sure, or at least very much comes off as, a tool. i didnt listen or pay the white stypes much attention because of this though songs here and there filtered through. when i got the raconteurs record is when i went back to them and appreciated a bit more than i had. i was a vines a brmc fan vs the strokes white strypes side of things.

I do agree he comes off as a tool but that I can handle. It's just his voice does nothing for me. I like the music though without his voice but then if I want to listen to something like that I just put on a Zeppelin record.

i guess i can understand that though its a bit foreign as i dont think ive ever disliked music because of the singers pitch or tone (key and melody are different or course) though im not very big on growlers (cookie monster vocal). never thought about it but there it is i guess. i myself am not to keen on zeppelin. theyve got many moments but i dont like any of the albums really. give me terry reid any day

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom