What was the first Smiths album you bought?

Tbevie

Girl afraid
Not the first one you heard or the first one you borrowed from a friend or relative. The first album you chose in a record shop and bought with your own money.

My first was ‘Hatful of Hollow’.

I became interested in Morrissey after the release of YATQ. I knew that he had been in a band called The Smiths but I didn’t now anything about them. I did a little bit of research and I decided to go out and buy one of their albums. It was only ever my intention to buy one album, purely out of curiosity. I chose ‘Hatful of Hollow’ simply because I recognised more of the song titles on the back cover, ‘Hand in Glove’ ‘Handsome Devil’ ‘Still Ill’, from the research I had done.

I didn’t think I’d like them, partly because at the time I didn’t really like a lot of 80s bands. And I suppose I naively thought if I haven’t really heard of them then surely they couldn’t have been that good. How wrong was I?

Now I have every album, compilation, best of and every unrealised rarity I can get my hands on.

My first studio album was ‘Meat is Murder’ but ‘Hatful of Hollow’ will always be special to me.

Please share yours :)

Last edited:
it was for my brother and it was the 1st lp.

for myself it was 'the world won't listen'.

bought the smiths and meat is murder at the same time. thought I'd start from the beginning and work my way forward, filling in with compilations as I go.

Hatful Of Hollow late 1989. Heard How Soon Is Now on John Peel. Loved it. Goosebumps up the spine time. Not so keen on it now.

Shockingly it took me about another year to buy anything else by them. In the meantime I remember buying a Soupdragons LP. It was SHIT.

I can't remember if it was Strangeways or The Smiths but I bought one because I was curious and then the other a few days later. I bought Rank! and Queen is Dead shortly after, and Rank! and The Smiths were my favorite Smiths records. I remember spending the "extra" money for Louder Than Bombs and that was a favorite for a while, too. Then and now, my least favorite is Meat Is Murder. Strangeways was the current release when I started buying Smiths records, and I remember seeing the cassettes displayed, but I think I might have bought The Smiths instead, to start with the first record.

Most of my Smiths collection is still on cassette and I'm probably long overdue to update. I have the early Morrissey solo stuff on cassette, too. I've never bought Viva Hate on CD, even though it was my favorite Morrissey record for a long time.

Hatfull back in... 2000 I think.

Got it 'cos it was cheap and I'd sort of heard of them. I thought it was complete shite the first time I listened to it, but somthing made me give it another chance and then I 'got it'.

Louder Than Bombs. It was the album that introduced me to The Smiths, so it seemed fitting to start there.

kind of unrelatedIsh;

i took 3 'albums' with me

to the gulf war(90-91):

BornInTheUSA.jpg

DepecheMode_Violator.jpg

&
LouderThanBombs.jpg

and they were played over and over again
the smiths most
much to some others around me's annoyance
:D

The Smiths debut album almost 23 years ago.

Heard "This Charming Man" on radio once and picked it up next day. Bought every album (and most single) upon release since except ROTT.

I bought Meat is Murder last spring after seeing my sister's boyfriend had a copy, I just loved the title and recognised the cover as being pretty iconic. Strange how you can be so aware of these things existing and have a vague knowledge in the back of your mind but never actually act on it, anyway I bought it without having a clue as to what it was going to sound like which is kinda strange! I found it quite dark when I first listened to it and not immediately accessible, it's almost like there is some kind of a slightly different language used with the Smiths- like a groove of thinking that you have to understand and slip in to. Like I remember the first time I heard Panic and I really had no idea what to make of it! It seemed to start of talking about one thing and then this sudden chant about hanging a DJ, it was all quite baffling for a short while. Then I suddenly got it, not sure how it happened but I suddenly couldn't help but think it was the funniest thing I'd heard on a record and it induced dancing which should only be performed behind closed doors- don't you love moments like those?!

Anyway, slight tangent there, but I do also remember how hearing the track Meat is Murder spooked me completely with all the sound effects and I didn't listen to it for a while again after that first time. It's strange, I immediately loved Morrissey's solo work when I heard his albums but the Smiths took me longer to appreciate somehow. Then it all started to mean so much and make such wonderful sense and now I love all the albums equally.

Louder Than Bombs:)

"hatful of hollow", on cassette (1984).

CD "The Queen Is Dead" back in the 1994.
Before that i had all Smiths' albums on the tapes (which i copied from another lad)
and then i bought my first cd-player and decided which CD should be the first.
Of coursely i'd like to pick up the Smithy ones all at once :)
but it turned out there was only The Queen Is Dead in the local music shop at the time.
and the rest of smiths cds eventually following in few weeks :)

Back
Top Bottom