Was Betty a veg first?

It's just a messageboard, I don't give a f**k about maintaining good personal relations on here to be honest. All power to you if you do. And I'll address you as I please. Cheers.

That's quite a switch from your "rise above it" routine.

So you can address me as you please, but you have an issue with me addressing SNS. I didn't post until he sent me a private message about it. It was over before you wrote to me with your lecture about the rules and the ignore function. Am I breaking the rules? No. Did I say he was breaking the rules? No. If I have upset you so much that you've lost your ability to rise above it, maybe you should use the ignore function with me. That's all Im saying.

By the way, this thread, about Morrissey's mom and her diet... I mean, if that's what you're into that's slightly obsessive, but I guess probably not dangerous. It really seems a little creepy though.

I don't have an 'issue' with you addressing him. You have the right to do that. I was suggesting what you were attempting to do was futile, which I still firmly believe it is. If you want to carry on saying the same things to him in the face of him changing not one iota, be my guest.

And I don't know how the 'rise above it' thing is relevant. I have not been offended by any of your comments. You seemed to be counselling me on how to maintain good relations on this forum and I was simply indicating that I'm not in the least interested in that.

Reading the above comments my conclusion is that there are many reasons causing people to become overweight. A diagnosed illness, lack of knowledge about healthy eating, limited access to healthy food, lack of self-esteem among them. There is no one solution to the problem of increased obesity across society. Being overweight is undeniably bad for a persons’ general health. It, negatively impacts all the major organs, skeletal system and longevity.

Cheap and readily available junk food is one of the main concerns. Junk food is highly processed and nutritionally deficient. It is high in salt, sugar and fats. It is possible for a person to be overweight and undernourished, that is, not getting all the vitamins and minerals they need to be well. Having eaten the junk meal that person may still feel hungry because the body is telling them that they haven't got all the nutrition that they need. Consequently, they eat more.

Education is key here. Children need to be taught at school about proper nutritional habits and be provided with healthy meals while at school.
Also more pressure needs to be put on the food manufacturing industries and supermarkets. I once went to buy tinned tomatoes for a meal and out of six varieties found only one without added sugar. Consumer pressure can make a difference.

It’s my opinion that insults and ridicule are very unlikely to cause person to change their beliefs or their habits. They are more likely to dig their heels in and resist. It is by gentle reasoning and living an example that we most positively influence those around us. It's by finding out why someone believes what they do that you can most effectively challenge them. That means being willing to listen to them even though you disagree. That means being prepared to have your own beliefs questioned and being able to justify them with informed and reasoned argument. Not everybody has the will or the patience for that.

Finally, I agree with Grim, I don't think it's polite to speak of Morrissey’s Mother in such a familiar way.

are we penpals now? what is your favorite color? mine is blue.

If you feel it's embarrassing / inappropriate to get into a back-and-forth with me (or anyone else) in a topic, just don't reply... it really is that simple. I wouldn't consider the what, three, replies we have exchanged to be excessive.

You asked me if we were penpals now. I am guessing this was a joke to suggest we were exchanging too many replies, in your estimation. I was wrong?

Then 'inappropriate' follows, at least in one sense. As for embarrassing, I inferred that from the fact that you were trying to make a joke out of it. Anyway, even I - even I - I am getting bored with this now so you'll forgive me for not continuing our 'correspondence' on this matter:cool:

Reading the above comments my conclusion is that there are many reasons causing people to become overweight. A diagnosed illness, lack of knowledge about healthy eating, limited access to healthy food, lack of self-esteem among them. There is no one solution to the problem of increased obesity across society. Being overweight is undeniably bad for a persons’ general health. It, negatively impacts all the major organs, skeletal system and longevity.

Cheap and readily available junk food is one of the main concerns. Junk food is highly processed and nutritionally deficient. It is high in salt, sugar and fats. It is possible for a person to be overweight and undernourished, that is, not getting all the vitamins and minerals they need to be well. Having eaten the junk meal that person may still feel hungry because the body is telling them that they haven't got all the nutrition that they need. Consequently, they eat more.

Education is key here. Children need to be taught at school about proper nutritional habits and be provided with healthy meals while at school.
Also more pressure needs to be put on the food manufacturing industries and supermarkets. I once went to buy tinned tomatoes for a meal and out of six varieties found only one without added sugar. Consumer pressure can make a difference.

It’s my opinion that insults and ridicule are very unlikely to cause person to change their beliefs or their habits. They are more likely to dig their heels in and resist. It is by gentle reasoning and living an example that we most positively influence those around us. It's by finding out why someone believes what they do that you can most effectively challenge them. That means being willing to listen to them even though you disagree. That means being prepared to have your own beliefs questioned and being able to justify them with informed and reasoned argument. Not everybody has the will or the patience for that.

Finally, I agree with Grim, I don't think it's polite to speak of Morrissey’s Mother in such a familiar way.

You're right that the lack of self-esteem can be the reason why some people are overweight. I had some practical experience in a center for people who are very overweight. Many of them were very miserable and saw themselves as "nobodies". The overeating had become a bad circle; they overate because they were ashamed of themselves and eating was their way of hiding from the world. Then they put on more weight, got more ashamed, ate more...On the center they learned everything about how to eat right and so on, but none of them kept their weight lose when they got home IF they didn't get any therapy. I know it's tempting to say, that they just need to get a hold of themselves and stop eating, but if your over weight really is about something else, good advices alone don't do much.

About the healthy food being too expensive: Where I live (in Denmark) people are discussing if it's a good idea, to put extra taxes on unhealthy food and use the "extra money" to make healthy food cheaper. I think it's a fantastic idea!

in my opinion this has all degenerated into a slagging match due to the fact that the original poster left his/her manners at home. Broken window theory innit.

Thanks for saying that for me, Dave.

SNS, you have a serious, horrible prejudice against overweight people for reasons I cannot understand. Sure, some people are overweight for a whole series of reasons, some they can help and some not, but what is it you in the long run? They live their lives, you live yours. No-one here is looking for approval on their weight, or, for that matter, ridicule. Eating 300 calories a day is just as ridiculous as eating 3000, and don't kid yourself otherwise.

I am approximately 20lbs overweight.
Does that mean I should be starved until I become a weight which pleases you, while in the meantime you post pictures of other fat people to take the piss out of me?

I am trying to lose weight by reducing my calorie intake to 1,000 per day and doing exercise such as jogging, stomach crunches, squats, swimming etc. But even if I was sat on my arse eating 5 consecutive full English breakfasts, it's NOTHING to do with you.

I think If you read what I saying, you would see that I said being 20lbs overweight is NOT a big deal....

And I also ended my spiel..by saying ultimately you should listen to your doctor and strive for a balance between healthy and what's comfortable...

I have nothing "AGAINST" anybody, and nothing more to say about this..because obviously anything I say somebody is going to find offensive..which is not what I intended to do...

Apparently, somebody found the suggestion that overweight Children be CONSIDERED for vegan diets to prevent further problems in life...And it spiralled out of control from there...

That is far from all he has said.
He reduces fat people to nothing more than quivering, lazy lumps of lard, eating continuously. An embarrassment to society.

Don't make me laugh. This man eats 300 calories a day, suggests that it is healthy and implies that fat people should do similarly if they want to lose weight. Anyone with any real concern for the health of overweight people, wouldn't post mocking pictures of overweight celebrities. He should mind his own business and learn the line between concern and insult.

I don't ridicule people in general...have I in any way insulted any person on this website for being overweight? NO...that is cruel and insensitive and I don't stoop to such childish antics...

I mocked Beth Ditto..because she PROMOTES and FLAUNTS an attitude that is just wrong and unhealthy..aside from her being a shameless flaunt, I would ridiicule ANY CELEBRITY who makes a fool of themselves...If a Gay Celebrity were to appear on Tabaloids engaging in shameless behavior..I would make fun of him/her...If A STRAIGHT celebrity (Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan) were to make an ass or slut out of herself..I would give them a ribbing...People who are full of themselves need to be knocked off their pedestals...

Which included me last night...

2 contradictory opinions. Very few overweight people on Solo would say they are "BIG, NATURAL AND BEAUTIFUL". I do not believe anyone enjoys being significantly overweight, not least because of the health problems risked and the mocking, derogatory bile spouted by people like SNS. If a person is overweight, it is up to them what they do about it, and being made to feel like second-class citizens is hardly going to make them lose weight faster.

Other than my remarks about Beth Ditto....

Please point out what remarks are "Derogatory Bile"

For Christ's sake, nobody is doing that. I certainly am not, and Scarlet is only defending her personal case. Overweight people DO and SHOULD try to lose weight for the sake of their health, we know this. But laughing at them and making enormous generalisations about what a fat person is like does not help. There are 3 main things fat people (myself included) need to do to lose weight -

1. Reduce calorie intake
2. Follow a healthy diet.
3. Exercise.

All those are obvious and were known by all users in this thread far before SNS started talking. You can't just bully a fat person into losing weight!

I believe I said all those things...I even said 3-5lbs a month is a reasonable goal...nobody would suggest crash diets...that's insane and even more unhealthy

I just also suggested A Vegan diet if all else fails....

But what I think offended people was my "stop making excuses" remarks...

For which I apologize if they came across as "bigoted" or "hateful"

By the way, this thread, about Morrissey's mom and her diet... I mean, if that's what you're into that's slightly obsessive, but I guess probably not dangerous. It really seems a little creepy though.

That's probably the reason I was offended in the first place...Last week, people are talking about where she lives/lived...what's next week...Does she use depends? Seriously...why are we talking about his mum?

On a first name basis, nonetheless.

hmmm its not like you would be talking about Morrissey down your local and then suddenly slip in something personal about his mum using her first name. I mean i would expect some strange looks if i did that.

Although i must say i have never talked about Morrissey in my local. Infact i don;t actually talk in my local.

Back
Top Bottom