Was Betty a veg first?

Scarlet Ibis

The Chicken of D.C.
Yesterday, a friend of mine mentioned that Morrissey's mom had been a vegetarian years before Morrissey became one. I hadn't remembered it this way. I could have sworn that I read somewhere that Morrissey became a vegetarian when he was a child and that his mom followed suit. The problem is that I can't remember where I read this. Or did I make it up? It was about twenty years ago that I read this information. Perhaps it's gotten tangled up in my head somehow.

Do any of you know?

Yesterday, a friend of mine mentioned that Morrissey's mom had been a vegetarian years before Morrissey became one. I hadn't remembered it this way. I could have sworn that I read somewhere that Morrissey became a vegetarian when he was a child and that his mom followed suit. The problem is that I can't remember where I read this. Or did I make it up? It was about twenty years ago that I read this information. Perhaps it's gotten tangled up in my head somehow.

Do any of you know?

I have read interviews where Morrissey said his mother had been a staunch vegetarian for as long as he could remember, attending anti-hunt rallies and the like, but that his family often fed him meat (til the age of 11), because they were poor and he believed it to be nutritous, as well as an element of free choice from his parents' side of things.

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that Morrissey became a vegetarian when he was a child and that his mom followed suit.

Do any of you know?

I highly doubt a young child could understand the moral aspect of becoming vegetarian, or that he could act on that decision without the permission of his Mum.

I highly doubt a young child could understand the moral aspect of becoming vegetarian, or that he could act on that decision without the permission of his Mum.

Well, that's how I did it. When I was twelve (Morrissey was nine.), I decided that I no longer wanted to eat animals. My family all still ate meat. It actually took me until I was fourteen to eliminate all meat from my diet, but twelve was the age when I made the decision.

When I was sixteen my mom became a vegetarian as well. She's been one since.

I'm 36 now and my mom's 62. She is now a MUCH more strict vegetarian than I am. I have developed a protein absorption problem (Totally unrelated to being a vegetarian, by the way.) and I now eat fish and am no longer as strict about keeping meat out of my food if it should happen to turn up... which disturbs me, actually. I consider going back to strict vegetarianism every day, much to my doctor's disapproval. (I dislike most forms of protein, including meat, so getting protein into me has proven difficult.)

My point is that it DOES happen. I had hoped that Morrissey and I were alike in this regard... and I coulda sworn I read it somewhere.

Hrm.

From the interview - the sausages incident. Morrissey is acting as though it was a hostile thing, and perhaps it was, but I had heard that in fact the fan(s) had brought a string of sausages along and written MEAT IS MURDER on them as a pro-vegetarian statement..

Maybe they just had really bad aim :o I can't imagine Moz stopped to read the sides of the sausages, if that's true.

Are both Moz' parents still alive? I think they were at the Palladium, but obv they divorced in 1976..I know next to nothing about his father...or whether his Mum re-married, and such.

Well, that's how I did it. When I was twelve (Morrissey was nine.), I decided that I no longer wanted to eat animals. My family all still ate meat. It actually took me until I was fourteen to eliminate all meat from my diet, but twelve was the age when I made the decision.

When I was sixteen my mom became a vegetarian as well. She's been one since.

I'm 36 now and my mom's 62. She is now a MUCH more strict vegetarian than I am. I have developed a protein absorption problem (Totally unrelated to being a vegetarian, by the way.) and I now eat fish and am no longer as strict about keeping meat out of my food if it should happen to turn up... which disturbs me, actually. I consider going back to strict vegetarianism every day, much to my doctor's disapproval. (I dislike most forms of protein, including meat, so getting protein into me has proven difficult.)

My point is that it DOES happen. I had hoped that Morrissey and I were alike in this regard... and I coulda sworn I read it somewhere.

Hrm.

as I was reading you post, for some reason, i thought that whole thing was a quote from Morrissey...my jaw dropped (I know he became a vegetarian earlier than that!)...but then i re-read it and realized that..well...you know..it's not...

Re: Was Morrisseys Mam a veg first?

is it just me & my old fashioned ways but I find it offensive that you are referring to Morrisseys Mam in such a familiar term?

love

Grim

as I was reading you post, for some reason, i thought that whole thing was a quote from Morrissey...my jaw dropped (I know he became a vegetarian earlier than that!)...but then i re-read it and realized that..well...you know..it's not...

Ha! It's one of the reasons I latched onto him. I remember reading some interview or article or something... I was 16. He was saying all these things that could have come straight out of my head. It astounded me. I could not believe he existed. I HAD to have more of him. ...And twenty years later, I smashed handsweat with him and looked into his eyes... Was it worth it? Hell yes!

I love that man.

is it just me & my old fashioned ways but I find it offensive that you are referring to Morrisseys Mam in such a familiar term?

love

Grim

I'm supposed to call her Mrs. Morrissey? Or is it "Morrissey's mom"? Her name is Betty... we all know it... Everyone I know calls my mom by her first name. I don't see the problem.

To each his own.

You on first term names with his Mother now?

Yes. You're not? She must just like me more.

I'm supposed to call her Mrs. Morrissey? Or is it "Morrissey's mom"? Her name is Betty... we all know it... Everyone I know calls my mom by her first name. I don't see the problem.

To each his own.

sorry but you do not know morrissey! do you? therefore you refering to his mother on first name terms seems a little un-nerving to me

Betty is Barney's wife. And I know she cooks brontosaurus burgers.

sorry but you do not know morrissey! do you? therefore you refering to his mother on first name terms seems a little un-nerving to me

Well,... your point? I mean, I disagree. That's where this ends, I guess. It's a matter of opinion. I have mine. You have yours. Not sure where else this can go.

Betty is Barney's wife. And I know she cooks brontosaurus burgers.

Yeah, how does Betty stay so thin cooking and eating that stuff?

Perhaps the casting of fat ass Rosie O'Donnell was an attempt to portray a more "accurate" depection of what a person who eats brontosaurus Burgers would look like....

Before The Bronto diet...

After....

After she eats Barney.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom