POLL: What do you think Morrissey's album will be like?

What do you think Morrissey's album will be like?

• Basically more of the same. Something between Quarry & Ringleader.

Votes: 40 74.1%
  • A return to the more urgent style of the early Smiths. Guitar, Bass, Drums, Vox.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Lyrically, a stronger emphasis on "issue" songs, a la Meat is Murder.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • More electronic. Mikey plays a much bigger role.

• Something else I'll explain below.

• Total voters

King Leer

Leering since '97
Again, this is what you think the new Morrissey album will be like, not what you're hoping it'll be like or dreading it'll be like. Jerry Finn seems to have been confirmed as producer, so that might affect your opinion but try to keep an open mind.

Obviously the poll choices can't cover all possibilities, so I chose a mix of common comments here on the boards and some outcomes I made up.

Last edited:
The last leg showed what the current band can do... I'm wondering if there will more harder edges, more guitar, maybe a return to the rockabilly sound here and there... I'd love some darker, creepier edges- Jack the Ripper sounded so good in the recent shows. And Sweetie Pie creeped the hell out of me, which I always love. I think all of that makes such an interesting contrast to his voice as it gets more velvety and stretchy and smooth. He has such mastery of the entire range of sounds his voice can make, which I would say is well used and I'm not even sure if he could overexploit it. He has never gone too far with it yet.

This kind of sounds like I'm hoping he'll go gothy. Not at all.

I fear the a bit of Quarry [poppy songs] vs ROTT [automatic for the
people songs, 10-ina-pack, cheap]

I hope a mix of Arsenal & Southpaw

back to basic, guitars, solid ballads, good lyrics.

:cool:

The whole Jerry Finn thing confuses me .. nothing has really been confirmed right, and it wasn't too long ago Visconti said he was going to work on the next album again ... I hope it's neither, i'd love a Steven Street return, but I doubt it.

I'm guessing it'll be more of a Maladjusted/ROTT cross, he can't seem to quite move away from that sound. But with trumpets and other wind instruments appearing more frequently live now that could play a big part. I agree with the whole creepy aspect.

Morrissey's next LP will be be make or break for me personally. I can't see what he really has left to say to be honest. Theres only so much of a multi-millionaire rock star singing about certain elements that have made him famous I can take.

I only think he's bothering recording to continue to play live. A perpetual cabaret artist trapped in his own mythology?

I'm worried it may lyrically be full of whinges and complaints about various hotel facilities around the globe. (And a cover version of Bell Boy for one of the B-sides)

Tracks may include:

Where is the Good News bible?
Two toothpicks down.
Life is a trouserpress. And the TV isn't working (cue thousands of people asking is he gay then?)
Why no teapots?

and in an attempt to create the expected backlash.

Pot, kettle, black. But its white.

Musically it would be proper if he got a real orchestra and went down the whole torchsong route. Maybe get that bloke from My Life Story to help (wasn't there rumour this may have happened a couple of years ago?)

However one suspects it'll be more of the same. Which is shameful really.

Musically it would be proper if he got a real orchestra and went down the whole torchsong route.

Now,that is a good idea but,afraid to say he'll stick with his pub-rock band and chruning out the sub-standard lyrics he has been doing of late.

Come on Moz,experiment!

I'm hoping for an album that goes into what Morrissey's poll is like.

I think the new album will probabaly be more of the same along the vein of ROTT and Quarry. I don't think any of the new songs (ie. All you need; Paris; That's how; Goodbye Farewell) will be on it.

Frank Sinatra
September of My Years (1965)

A grave Sinatra approached 50 with the last of his unimpeachably great albums. The swing was set aside, and Sinatra given sweet string settings for his ruminations on ageing and mortality. When Sinatra managed humility - too rarely, once he left Capitol Records - his artistry was undeniable.

(From the Guardian 1000 LPs list thing rubbish)

Nice call. If that's the album with "It Was a Very Good Year" then I'm all for it (yes, I know it's not a Sinatra original).

I was going to put a "return to Vauxhall era-styled songs" as one of the poll choices but couldn't find the wording, because what I meant was a return to songs with the gravity the Vauxhall tracks had, but not necessarily the same style.

At the age and place Morrissey is at in his life, not to mention the stunning quality of his voice (best it's ever been?), a timeless album would be great. I think both Quarry and Ringleader (and their b-sides) have songs and moments that will definitely live on, but their not timeless albums.

It seems that 3/4 of people think it'll be more the same, and the figure isn't budging...

Frank Sinatra
September of My Years (1965)

A grave Sinatra approached 50 with the last of his unimpeachably great albums. The swing was set aside, and Sinatra given sweet string settings for his ruminations on ageing and mortality. When Sinatra managed humility - too rarely, once he left Capitol Records - his artistry was undeniable.

(From the Guardian 1000 LPs list thing rubbish)

Back
Top Bottom