Alain explains why he left

As much as I love Alain and the other ex-band members, I'd be surprised if they could pull a live audience larger than a small pub.
I think they’d do a little better than that. There seems to be a lot of nostalgia for the 80s / early 90s era these days, and Your Arsenal was a great comeback album for Morrissey.

On a personal note, I happened to visit an exposition of photographer Chris Killip in Newcastle, which really captured the darkest side of North England in the seventies and eighties, and seeing a photo of glue- smokers, I immediately thought of Glamorous Glue and how YA would make the perfect soundtrack of this dark area. YA had this rough and dark edge to it, and many references to the working class cultures of that same period.

Maaybe there’s a lot of nostalgia in that record for Alain too.

I think they’d do a little better than that. There seems to be a lot of nostalgia for the 80s / early 90s era these days, and Your Arsenal was a great comeback album for Morrissey.

On a personal note, I happened to visit an exposition of photographer Chris Killip in Newcastle, which really captured the darkest side of North England in the seventies and eighties, and seeing a photo of glue- smokers, I immediately thought of Glamorous Glue and how YA would make the perfect soundtrack of this dark area. YA had this rough and dark edge to it, and many references to the working class cultures of that same period.

Maaybe there’s a lot of nostalgia in that record for Alain too.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I expect they'll have similar success to a Smiths covers band (which isn't that bad).
The band members just don't have particularly high profiles away from the pretty small world of Morrissey solo fandom.
When Alain reunited with Morrissey a couple of years ago I don't think it was reported by a single publication (printed or online) even though he'd written more songs with him than J Marr.
Imagine the fuss in the music world (and probably the mainstream media world) if Marr and S Morrissey got back together?
I wish Alain well, though, and I hope he stays on board as an at least occasional Morrissey co-writer and guitarist.

Really? I know all us fans know the names of all the old band members, but I'm guessing the vast majority of the mainstream audience neither know or care - they are just there to see Morrissey.

Then again, some people seem to be willing to pay to see tribute bands, so maybe there is an audience for them - I just find it hard to believe it will be large enough to sustain a tour of anything other than extremely small venues.

As much as I love Alain and the other ex-band members, I'd be surprised if they could pull a live audience larger than a small pub.
It’s looking more and more like we’re all going to find out soon enough 😉
Literally just got off the phone with Ireland a couple of hours ago regarding venues. It’s looking like end of November/early December.

Will share more info asap.

I'd expect they'd be able to pull an audience somewhat bigger than a Smiths/Moz tribute band. From the fans who know who they are (probably a small % of the fandom, but still), and from just putting in the publicity that it's actual former band members and co-writers, it should help.

Last edited:
At least The House of All (ex-members of The Fall) had the good grace to wait until Mark E Smith had shuffled off this mortal coil to do such a reunion. And they play mostly new material - and some of it is not too bad actually.

It’s looking more and more like we’re all going to find out soon enough 😉
Literally just got off the phone with Ireland a couple of hours ago regarding venues. It’s looking like end of November/early December.

Will share more info asap.
It'd be so great to see Alain back in the UK too, I'd make the effort if it was roughly nearby!

Loved his lockdown vids & recent album

It'd be so great to see Alain back in the UK too, I'd make the effort if it was roughly nearby!

Loved his lockdown vids & recent album
Not getting ahead of ourselves, but we’ll likely tackle the UK early next year (at least that’s the general talk).

Screenshot_20230804-133850.png

get rickshaw on vocals and they can fill stadiums.

At least The House of All (ex-members of The Fall) had the good grace to wait until Mark E Smith had shuffled off this mortal coil to do such a reunion. And they play mostly new material - and some of it is not too bad actually.
But the door is always open for Morrissey to join or make a guest appearance.
I know it would only happen in our wildest dreams, but anyway.

But the door is always open for Morrissey to join or make a guest appearance.
I know it would only happen in our wildest dreams, but anyway.

I’d love if Morrissey started fronting a Fall tribute band! I think he can pull it off, would make most sense to me if he did so, these days. 🙃

I'd prefer Alain but I will accept them entering the stage on a rickshaw
its the only way to travel,i get a rickshaw to the shops every morning.

With the new Asia and Australia dates of Moz incl. the Info of Carmen still on guitars, Alain won‘t be back in 2023 anymore :(

Back
Top Bottom