Which Morrissey song would you like to re-arrange or remix?

Maurice E

Anyone else think that a fair few Moz songs would benefit from a different arrangement or a bit of editing?
Then, this is the thread for you!
List up to 5 (or more if you can be bothered!) songs and how you think they should be changed...

1. I have Forgiven Jesus; get rid of that horrible keyboard sound! Also remove the 'days of the week' bit from the end. Instead, bung in a couple more choruses. The chorus is fantastic but we only hear it twice...

2. Ouija Board; ditch the synth-harpsichord and let's have the real thing! A proper, tinkling, medieval harpsichord a la Blur's 'Clover over Dover'. Also the crunchy electric guitar solo sounds out of place. Please remove!

3. Trouble Loves Me; remove the final verse with its ghastly synth bagpipe! Detracts from an otherwise faultless song.

4. We Hate it When; the live song is brilliant, the recorded version is dull! Not sure what the main musical difference is. I guess the live guitars just sound a bit more ... raucous!

5. Boy Racer; remove the final minute of feedback; does nothing for the enjoyment of the song. Moz trying self-consciously to sound 'grunge'!

Over to you!

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!?!?!!?!

i don't think any morrissey songs need remixing, they're perfect as they are!

the vocals have had too much done to them, i know he was going for the 1950's type sound, but it just did;nt do anything for the songs, and thats why they sound better live than on the cd

alsatian cousin: that guitar effect sounds so cheesy and cheap.

alma matters: the keyboard needs to die

ringleader: the whole thing is overproduced and the childrens choirs should be nuked

(well - that's just my humble opinion.)

alsatian cousin: that guitar effect sounds so cheesy and cheap.

alma matters: the keyboard needs to die

ringleader: the whole thing is overproduced and the childrens choirs should be nuked

(well - that's just my humble opinion.)

How do you mean 'overproduced'? :confused:

I don't agree with you on alsatian cousin!! at all :rolleyes:

well, if you would own the digitech rp80 (which is the cheapest guitar effects box on the market) like I do, then you'd know that the sound of the guitar on alsatian cousin is exactly in that league. who - with money to spend - would settle for THAT? makes me cringe.....

I would redo "I'd love to" because the lyrics are beautiful,but the production sucks.
Also, Come back to camden, because again, beautiful lyrics, but the music is too dramatic. Needs more acoustic/piano .

There's a few otheres, but those are the first that come to mind.

Alsation Cousin and I Don't Mind If You Forget Me. Don't like the guitar on either at all.

well, if you would own the digitech rp80 (which is the cheapest guitar effects box on the market) like I do, then you'd know that the sound of the guitar on alsatian cousin is exactly in that league. who - with money to spend - would settle for THAT? makes me cringe.....

lilikoi, unfortunately, i disagree with you! (i think this is the first time!)! i like the guitar affect in cousin, i think it's brilliant, and my band and I are going to cover it eventually!
I'm affraid to do a Morrissey cover, especially being the singer and all..

First I'm gonna comment on a few songs that I would NOT change at all, just, for, well, no reason at all. :p The last minute and a half of The Boy Racer is my favorite part of that song, I wouldn't even touch it. The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils is one of the most perfect arrangements I have ever heard, everything is perfectly in its place, it's length is ideal, I wouldn't change a single thing about it, not even one bit. And Alsatian Cousin, I don't know if I would make it a little bit longer or change one part of it or not, but the guitar effects are perfect in my opinion and I wouldn't dare tamper with them. Another song that comes to mind that I find the production on to be perfect, and so an all-around completely successful arrangement, is A Rush and a Push and the Land is Ours.

As for those that I would change...
The National Front Disco - it is my favorite song, but still, I would do something different with the ending. Turn it into more of an outro like with The Boy Racer, where there is actually some kind of arrangement there, not just a down-spiral of random sounds.

Speedway - My second favorite song actually. I would just make it a little more...shall I say...ornate. I don't know. Just change it up a bit, add a few more touches, give it a fuller production.

Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others - While yes I suppose I would get rid of the intro which wasn't "really" intended to be apart of the arrangement, I just think the song could benefit from a fuller sound, with more touches and more intricacy. I'm not sure exactly how to say it, but I just think the song could be even better with a little more to it, nothing drastic, just a few nuances.

All the Lazy Dykes - I think the guitar could use a little more touching up, making it sound a little cleaner and maybe rearranging the guitar a bit. It could use a bit of a symphonic side to it, but nothing...dramatic. No synths I think, nothing too elaborate, keeping things simple but as complicated and ornate as they can be within simplicity.

Disappointed - Make it EITHER more like the live version they are doing now (heavier sound, rougher guitar) OR something a little bit lighter, focusing more on the drums and maybe even an acoustic guitar. No, not anything laid-back, but just where the actual "sound" isn't very heavy or dark. I can't explain it very well. I'm fully satisfied with the original version I just think it could be redone going either way and maybe be a little bit better even.

Sorry I can't communicate very well. :o :p

Last edited:
lilikoi, unfortunately, i disagree with you! (i think this is the first time!)! i like the guitar affect in cousin, i think it's brilliant, and my band and I are going to cover it eventually!
I'm affraid to do a Morrissey cover, especially being the singer and all..

well, that's fine, it's all so subjective anyway. you have a band? cool! I recorded a CD and everyone that hears it wants to remix it.... "and the bass is too low and the guitar is too cheesy and the voice needs more effect and less effect...." - yeah right - whatever - I mean the thing is DONE. and that's that. end of story or neverending story. when it comes to mixing - everyone "knows it better". I guess that's why they hire a producer who tells everyone to just shut up please and get it over with.

LIfe Is A Pigsty (How you gonna keep 'em down on the Farm remix) with additional production by Pet Shop Boys (and Merle Haggard?)

i couldn't agree more with this!
also,
id chop out the crappy mid bits of "We'll let you know" and "Black-Eyed Susan"
ESPECIALLY "Black-Eyed Susan"

ah yes. I actually removed the last bit from We'll Let You Know on my compilation tape (yes, I still make compilation tapes!).

Always found the closing lyric about being the last truly British person a little ... sinister.

Well, I don't own the digitech rp80 or whatever, I don't know what the 'cheapest guitar effects boxes' are, and I don't care. I don't play the guitar, either. But I love the guitar on Alsatian Cousin. And why should I care about cheap or expensive guitar effects?! "Who would settle for that?" For what? I thought it was all about what sounds good/works in a song. Not that people should try to get the most expensive or strangest guitar effects possible. :rolleyes:

ah yes. I actually removed the last bit from We'll Let You Know on my compilation tape (yes, I still make compilation tapes!).

Always found the closing lyric about being the last truly British person a little ... sinister.
That's not remixing a song... that's re-writing it! :rolleyes:

And yes, it does sound a little sinister - many Morrissey lyrics do!

Back
Top Bottom