The Official General Election Thread

I know how some of you feel about Gordon Brown but if you are undecided I beg you to watch this speech from today. Utterly impassioned - this is an honest man...

Indeed, the Tories are just not an option.

Right ok one last thing and I will stop - please vote tomorrow, however you may choose, just make your voice heard!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome To Cameron Land

"This is a dispatch from David Cameron's Britain, the country that could be waiting for us at the other end of the polling booths and the soundbites and the spin. I didn't have to take a time machine to get there; I just had to take the District Line. In 2006, a group of rebranded "compassionate Conservatives" beat Labour for control of Hammersmith and Fulham Council, a long stretch of west London. George Osborne says the work they have done since then will be a "model" for a new Conservative government, while Cameron has singled them out as a council he is especially "proud" of. So squeezed between the brownish dapple of the Thames and the smoggy chug of the Westway, you can find the Ghost of Cameron Future. What is it whispering to us?

Hammersmith and Fulham is a sprawling concrete sandwich of London's rich and London's poor. It starts at the million-pound apartments on the marina at Chelsea Harbour – white and glistening and perfect – and runs past giant brownish housing estates and Victorian mansions, until it staggers to a stop on Shepherd's Bush Green, where homeless people sit on the yellow-green grass drinking and watching the SUVs hurtle past. Here, high incomes squat next to high-rises in one big urban screech of noise. In such a mixed area, the Conservatives had to run for power as a reconstructed party "at home with modern Britain". They promised to move beyond Thatcherism and make the poor better off. They were the first to hum the tune that David Cameron has been singing a capella in this election.

People who took this at face value were startled by the first act of the Conservatives on assuming power – a crackdown on the homeless. They immediately sold off 12 homeless shelters, handing them to large property developers. The horrified charity Crisis was offered premises by the BBC to house the abandoned in a shelter over the Christmas period at least. The council refused permission. They said the homeless were a "law and order issue", and a shelter would attract undesirables to the area. With this in mind, they changed the rules so that the homeless had to "prove" to a sceptical bureaucracy that they had nowhere else to go – and if they failed, they were turned away.

We know where this ended. A young woman – let's called her Jane Phillips, because she wants to remain anonymous – turned up at the council's emergency housing office one night, sobbing and shaking. She was eight months pregnant. She explained she was being beaten up by her boyfriend and had finally fled because she was frightened for her unborn child. The council said they would "investigate" her situation to find "proof of homelessness" – but she told them she had nowhere to go while they carried it out. By law, they were required to provide her with emergency shelter. They refused. They suggested she try to find a flat on the private market.

For four nights, she slept in the local park, on the floor. She is still traumatised by the memories of lying, pregnant and abandoned, in one of the wealthiest parts of Europe. The Local Government Ombudsman investigated but the council recording of the case was so poor she said it "hindered" her report. After a long study, she found the council's conduct amounted to "maladministration". Since they came to power, the Conservatives are housing half as many homeless people as Labour – even though the recession has caused a surge in homelessness. That's a huge number of Janes lying in parks, or on rotting mattresses by Hammersmith Bridge."

Read the rest of the article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...ann-hari-welcome-to-cameron-land-1962318.html

For those of you truly desperate to keep out the Tories heres a guide to whether you should participate in tactical voting to do so, just put your postcode in and "the science" does the rest:

Torymergency. Stop Dave

http://www.theobverse.com/stopdave/

Also the next government of this country, whoever it is, will be the most unpopular government of all time due to the cuts and frugal living that are about to come so if you could handle 5 years of the Tories it is unlikely that they will get back in at the next election.

I'm not willing to take that chance as Cameron will probably invite his creepy mates from Titan to brainwash us all and all drink mugs of tea emblazoned with his and SamCam's face (who is a fan of the Xx "allegedly")

We will all prematurely age and hence become Conservative voters.

It looked to me like they were out of their houses before a reaction took place

I am not condoning violence whatsoever, or voting BNP for that matter, but I am sick and tired of troublemakers making it look like they had nothing to do with it. Look again

It looked to me like they were out of their houses before a reaction took place

I am not condoning violence whatsoever, or voting BNP for that matter, but I am sick and tired of troublemakers making it look like they had nothing to do with it. Look again

I have to confess, I can not understand what Mr. Bailey is shouting at them at the beginning of the clip. Was he calling them robbers? It seemed like he was instigating. I don't condone violence and troublemakers either, but I couldn't help but "have a laugh" at the suit bossing around the thug only to be spit on which made him crack, revealing his own thug side. He kicked them when they were down, classy fighting tactic.

Judging from the film clip, I think they'd already across shouted at him

I have to agree he overreacted, although he didn't throw the first punch. An 18 year old man has already been arrested

I thought he shouted out "what about rubbers?" but then it could have been "theres more of us."

Still pretty shameful behaviour from a prospective member of Parliament. At least Prescott fought by the Queensbury rules! And the BNP candidate is hardly in the area to canvass support from British Asians is he?

I thought he shouted out "what about rubbers?" but then it could have been "theres more of us."

Still pretty shameful behaviour from a prospective member of Parliament. At least Prescott fought by the Queensbury rules! And the BNP candidate is hardly in the area to canvass support from British Asians is he?
He said "How many of you are robbers?" Charming.

Up the workers! come on Gordon!

Down with Tory scum:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom