Donald Clarke: The game is up for Morrissey the reactionary - The Irish Times

Donald Clarke: The game is up for Morrissey the reactionary - The Irish Times
How did we Smiths obsessives miss the signs in the 1980s. Because they were there

Excerpt:
"I was wrong about almost everything when I was young. Almost all young people are wrong about almost everything. Calm down. This is not one of those Irish Times columns that demonises a blameless generation. We’re demonising all generations.

Only old people have the proper perspective to tell that young people can’t get anything right. Only young people have the perspective to tell that old people are full of dung.

Warble the previous paragraph to a jangly sub-Byrds guitar. “I was wrong about everything when I was young. La dee dah!” If the tune is good you’re singing a Smiths song. If the tune is a dud you’re singing one of the endless neuralgic dirges that Morrissey has vomited up since the band split in the 12th century.

Apparently some reasonable, liberal people still regard Steven Patrick Morrissey as a hero. They didn’t recant when, in 2010, he referred to the Chinese as “a subspecies”. They waved away remarks made in 2007 concerning immigration. “The higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears,” he said."

A long article discussing Morrissey then and now. Echoing some of the views put recently in various threads.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he bald for real or does he shave his head like I do?

People tend to mix bald heads with shaved heads a lot.

"Baldness is nice but baldness can stop you from writing all the articles that you want to".

Yeah, bald is bad. Shaved is good.

Poor little victim. You create division with your straw man immigrant panic and then beg for mercy when people marginalize you like you marginalize. others.

This whole white oppression bullshit is just a cover for deeper racial and cultural resentment. Stop acting like there's some monolithic white cultures. There's not. White have been fighting and hating each other for centuries. A nation state hardly erases those divisions. Nations are slowly becoming obsolete because of this realization.

The things you say and the causes, and people you support have consequences. They always have. Only the conditioning of the Internet provides the illusion that what you say and how you say it is without consequence.

Morrissey has been flirting with this nonsense for decades and now it's finally catching up with him.

Morrissey's career is based on his relationship with the public. It has nothing whatsoever to do with free speech. He's free to speak and his audience is free to react.

What current events have proven is that we're not all in this together and Morrissey has spent a career reminding us of that. If he wants to sit in the corner and be ignored then let him.

You're simply upset that people don't agree with you just like you claimed they're upset with you.

Speech has consequences. You should always choose your words carefully.

Yes, and carry a big stick.
I think I did choose my words carefully.
I am not a poor little victim. Of at least I don't wanna be.
It is a fact that there are people who are concerned about immigration and the changes it brings and they are not all racists and nazis. The fact they are labelled as such pushes even kind, intelligent and not racist people to the point they say, I don't care anymore.

Their concerns are apparently not being taken seriously enough by the traditional political parties. And to wipe away their concerns because it is such a difficult issue, it is very easy and helpful to label them all as racists. And not discussing what the concerns are about. So they won't have to do anything about it.
Why not? Are their concerns not important enough? Why should their voices not be heard or listened to?

I am not against immigration.
But there are limits to what a society can do and if you cross these limits, the support for it will diminishe, I am afraid...
Especially for those who are being confronted by the difficulties and that are not able to adjust as easily to it as people who live in a multicultural city and are used to it.
There are huge differences in values, beliefs and sometimes they clash.

What about white people killing eachother in the past?
There is nothing I can do about it now or should I say they didn't kill enough? I consider it as a nonsense argument as there are so many.
I, as a white man don't feel guilty about it, because I didn't do it.
Maybe you think I should., ha.

Last edited:
Hahaha, you handsome devil.

It's just that I have to laugh sometimes about Aztec as he pictures Mozzers life as one big party and now he calls him Malibu Steve. :)

Lil Sammy destroying the pool house, aunt Nancy cooking the famous spaghetti marinara, uncle Steve fighting with Johnny Lyndon over Trump and not to forget Veggie Thaqoww Tuesdays.
Hilarious. :D

Only old people have the proper perspective to tell that young people can’t get anything right. Only young people have the perspective to tell that old people are full of dung.

Lol. That's the gayest shit I've ever heard.

They waved away remarks made in 2007 concerning immigration. “The higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears,” he said."

And? It's true innit?

Yes, immigration was always good, has been good, is good now and will be in the future. Especially for the immigrants who are so happy and grateful to live in our paradise.

And if you dare to say anything critical about it or asks questions you were a racist in the past, in the present and in the future so you are a racist no matter what.

And if you're not racist cause races don't exist you are at least a xenophobe, or a islamophobe.
That is, if you are white.
Labelling is so much fun.
I get it, I don't care anymore so now why don't you?

You don't like what he writes, so you focus on his lack of hair?
I wouldn't say I focused on it. That was just two words at the start of my rant. I knew those two words were probably undeserved but it's fun to be mean sometimes. You could say I'm bitter at a journalist who may be bitter about a musician because the musician makes music and he'd love to, and the journalist gets paid to write and I'd love that, in which case you would only need one word for me: psychotic.

It's just that I have to laugh sometimes about Aztec as he pictures Mozzers life as one big party and now he calls him Malibu Steve. :)

Lil Sammy destroying the pool house, aunt Nancy cooking the famous spaghetti marinara, uncle Steve fighting with Johnny Lyndon over Trump and not to forget Veggie Thaqoww Tuesdays.
Hilarious. :D

I agree and I am a huge Aztec fan but sometimes I worry a bit for him.

that was a horrible article. if it was written about pretty much anyone, it would still be a terrible piece of shit. he is implying that a fan/admirer/what ever, that is drawn to the music because they feel alone or isolated is a fraud . why, because when going to a show they are all in the same place, so cant possible be isolated or alone. seriously ? my opinion of people in the press just continues to sink.

I'm done with Morrisey. So is my wife and several of our friends. I doubt we are alone. The game is up I assure you. I've even stopped listening to the old stuff. Introducing intolerant politics into this forum is unfortunate because it reveals how bigoted lemming-like some Moz fans are.

The lack of self-awareness is astonishing. You are so tolerant that you cannot tolerate Morrissey because he has some opinions that differ from yours (and probably many that do not differ). You are a shining beacon of tolerance and a wonderful representative of the liberal values that modern society holds so highly (or perhaps doesn't after all). Bravo.

The Irish Times publishes a response to the original article:

‘Morrissey, the reactionary’

"Sir, – “Only old people have the proper perspective to tell that young people can’t get anything right,” opines Donald Clarke (“The game is up for Morrissey, the reactionary”, October 7th).

Except, presumably, when they vote for Brexit?

Among his many crimes, Morrissey, along with another child of Irish emigres, John Lydon, is a Brexiteer – an unforgivable transgression as far as the Irish liberal establishment is concerned. It’s almost as if these working-class oiks are wilfully ignoring the more educated, middle-class voices of their betters, like Sir Bob Geldof (who has already told the British people that Brexit is simply wrong and will therefore have to be cancelled).

As if that wasn’t bad enough, Morrissey has also implied that mass migration from predominantly Muslim countries into Britain may have some downsides rather than being the exclusively positive road to an idyllic, untroubled Utopia that we all know it to be.

Thank God (ironically, of course) for the holy trinity of Viscount Clarke, Archbishop O’Toole, Monsignor Mullally and their many minions in the Irish media. The tireless work they do goes a long way towards ensuring that uncomfortable opinions like these that veer off message are silenced.

I will, as ever, be keeping a vigilant eye on the opinion writers of The Irish Times for news of other undesirable musicians with awkward opinions to avoid.

This is public-service journalism at its finest. – Yours, etc,

SIMON O’NEILL,

Clontarf, Dublin 3."

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/morrissey-the-reactionary-1.3249649

Regards,
FWD.

The Irish Times publishes a response to the original article:

‘Morrissey, the reactionary’

"Sir, – “Only old people have the proper perspective to tell that young people can’t get anything right,” opines Donald Clarke (“The game is up for Morrissey, the reactionary”, October 7th).

Except, presumably, when they vote for Brexit?

Among his many crimes, Morrissey, along with another child of Irish emigres, John Lydon, is a Brexiteer – an unforgivable transgression as far as the Irish liberal establishment is concerned. It’s almost as if these working-class oiks are wilfully ignoring the more educated, middle-class voices of their betters, like Sir Bob Geldof (who has already told the British people that Brexit is simply wrong and will therefore have to be cancelled).

As if that wasn’t bad enough, Morrissey has also implied that mass migration from predominantly Muslim countries into Britain may have some downsides rather than being the exclusively positive road to an idyllic, untroubled Utopia that we all know it to be.

Thank God (ironically, of course) for the holy trinity of Viscount Clarke, Archbishop O’Toole, Monsignor Mullally and their many minions in the Irish media. The tireless work they do goes a long way towards ensuring that uncomfortable opinions like these that veer off message are silenced.

I will, as ever, be keeping a vigilant eye on the opinion writers of The Irish Times for news of other undesirable musicians with awkward opinions to avoid.

This is public-service journalism at its finest. – Yours, etc,

SIMON O’NEILL,

Clontarf, Dublin 3."

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/morrissey-the-reactionary-1.3249649

Regards,
FWD.

That's replying to one comment rather than a pattern of them.

that was a horrible article. if it was written about pretty much anyone, it would still be a terrible piece of shit. he is implying that a fan/admirer/what ever, that is drawn to the music because they feel alone or isolated is a fraud . why, because when going to a show they are all in the same place, so cant possible be isolated or alone. seriously ? my opinion of people in the press just continues to sink.

I just thought it couldn't sink any lower but we ain't seen nothing yet!

I'm looking on Twitter and have seen dozens and dozens of people who say they will not be buying Morrissey's new album based on his political comments. Moz once again sabotages himself. It's tainting the legacy of the Smiths too. Johnny Marr however is on his way to being canonized.

Er, pardon ? The ONLY human - and I use that term loosely - that's 'tainted' anything regarding the Manchester band, The Smiths, is the Lawnmower-Repair-Man himself. Yes, Mr Legal Aid.

And as for your comments above about the new album, the excellently titled Low In High School, well, who exactly cares about you and your dozen's views? Go (anonymous) and spend all day on Twitter instead. Take That x

Hazard

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom