The Smiths ‘A Fool Such As I’ cover - Johnny Marr talking on Radio 2 Jo Whiley show (November 2, 2023)

Very interesting listen when Johnny Marr joined Jo Whiley on her BBC Radio 2 show (02/11/23) , lots of brilliant stories / anecdotes & tunes.

I hadn’t heard about the smiths cover of the elvis song fool such as I
(58mins in the recording)

Transcript excerpt:

Jo Whiley: Pete from Colchester ... Like The Beatles today, are there any uncovered Smiths tracks in the closet?
There's one, there's one song that no one's heard but it's not a Smiths song, it's an Elvis Presley song that we did right at the end. It wasn't a particularly good time so I've never really wanted to go back and revisit. I've got a tape of it somewhere. It's under a dog bed or something.

Under a pedal...
That's probably true. I haven't even seen it for about thirty odd years.

But would you be prepared to go back to it and let people hear it?
...The honest answer is no, I wouldn't really. I think what you're doing is just putting something that was a very kind of negative time out into the world and I'm a bit funny about stuff like that. No one needs to hear it. Also, it was also done by Elvis Presley, I don't really (...?)

What's the song?
It was called "A Fool Such As I". Just stick to the Elvis version.

Yeah, no one needs to hear the Smiths version...

Last edited by a moderator:
Positioned as a potential (unknown which) Strangeway's single B-side.
Given Marr's comments, it won't see the light of day.
There's nothing to download - it was only mentioned by name.
Possibly the Elvis connection resonated with Marr, but Hank Snow's version shouldn't be discounted either given Morrissey's interest in him too.
FWD.

Positioned as a potential (unknown which) Strangeway's single B-side.
Given Marr's comments, it won't see the light of day.
There's nothing to download - it was only mentioned by name.
Possibly the Elvis connection resonated with Marr, but Hank Snow's version shouldn't be discounted either given Morrissey's interest in him too.
FWD.
I actually respect JM’s reasoning,

Will see what happens when it’s his estate dealing with the legacy down the line (hopefully that’s not anytime soon, JM doing great for 60, all those marathons!

Surprised Marr didn’t mention that some part was accidentally erased by the tape engineer, I think (?) But if it couldn’t be fixed with earlier technology, maybe it could now with AI.

Understandably, Marr has some negative memories attached to it, so that’s another thing not allowing us to hear it.

Edit: would just like to add, always enjoy listening to these Marr interviews. The Hand In Glove story never gets old, for me. And picking Sparks was a pleasant surprise.

Edit 2: unlike Nile, his daughter sounds sweet.

Last edited:
Yeah, there wouldn’t be a demand to hear this at all.

YMMV obviously but I worked with Nile, a few years ago now, and he was absolutely lovely. Great musician and really generous with his time talking about his old man. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree

Yes, people can be nice when they need or want to be. But his daughter never tweeted shit about Morrissey as far as I know, which was my point.

Btw, Marr mentioned M, can we expect another open-letter soon?

And oh and you Are still living off his name And oh and you Are way too ungrateful And oh you shown me What you’re really like And oh you shown me What you’re really like He made you who you are Do you have no shame Oh what are you Actually doing now And oh he lives off The back of Mozzers name And oh he lives off The back of Mozzers name We all love Morrissey We all love MorrisseyOkay

;)

Last edited:
Btw, Marr mentioned M, can we expect another open-letter soon?

And oh and you Are still living off his name And oh and you Are way too ungrateful And oh you shown me What you’re really like And oh you shown me What you’re really like He made you who you are Do you have no shame Oh what are you Actually doing now And oh he lives off The back of Mozzers name And oh he lives off The back of Mozzers name We all love Morrissey We all love MorrisseyOkay

;)

Probably begging Marr to give him his proper credit which would involve saying his name.

All the great years they had in the studio up to and including Strangeways, which the whole band admits was enjoyable and angst free. Recording Love Is A Four Letter Word wasn't enjoyable for JM, but why let that one 'wasn't a particularly good time' memory dominate the rest?

It's under a dog's bed? Well then he knows what he should do with it.

That's the story we've been told.
All the great years they had in the studio up to and including Strangeways, which the whole band admits was enjoyable and angst free. Recording Love Is A Four Letter Word wasn't enjoyable for JM, but why let that one 'wasn't a particularly good time' memory dominate the rest?

It's under a dog's bed? Well then he knows what he should do with it.

That’s why I’m thinking there must be something wrong with the recording, that Johnny would have to put more time into it than he would want to because of the bad memories attached to it. He can’t be bothered to go that far for it to be released.

But he was willing to remaster the recordings
that didn’t need to be fixed. Don’t know, just a thought.

That’s why I’m thinking there must be something wrong with the recording, that Johnny would have to put more time into it than he would want to because of the bad memories attached to it. He can’t be bothered to go that far for it to be released.

But he was willing to remaster the recordings
that didn’t need to be fixed. Don’t know, just a thought.

Maybe it’s another Golden Lights. If it’s not great, then why tarnish the Smiths catalogue?

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom