NME: "Rick Astley tells us about his Glastonbury secret set of Smiths covers with Blossoms" (June 24, 2023)

Rick-Astley-and-Blossoms-Kentish-Town-Forum-13.9.21-c-Peter-Neill-1-1392x884.jpg

Astley on the reactions of Morrissey and Johnny Marr, and what it means to play Glasto: "I know it’s sacrilege and they should hang the lot of us on the line for doing it, but I also just don’t care"

Rick Astley/Blossoms play Smiths set at Glastonbury

Ok, I watched it. This is a really mixed bag, it’s kind of like being stuck in between two different realms. Here is what I think. I think you really can’t fault the kids in the band, and i think you can’t fault the enthusiasm here, on either side - Rick’s or the Blossoms. This project is clearly a labor of love, and the thing is, if you ever in your life even for 5 seconds loved these songs and felt their magic and loved the Smiths and loved Morrissey, you kind of can’t ever begrudge anyone else also loving them, let alone coming on stage with the attitude that these are the best songs ever. Because they are.

But it is DEFINITELY karaoke night, and @BrummieBoy, omfg LOL! I thought you were joking when you said he also did a Harry Styles karaoke. Again - done with what comes across as such a sincere good mood and with such positivity that you really feel like you can’t fault someone for having fun - but also not better than or an improvement on the original.

I read he also covered AC/DC and Aha, but I didn’t see those. Which brings me to my next point - ultimately, these guys all want to be on stage. And if other people’s songs are going to go down better than their own, they are clearly all fine with headlining karaoke night. Part of the reason this works, is because karaoke night with your friends, by definition, is supposed to be fun and funny, and all about your favorite songs and about having fun with them, and any imperfections or super enthusiastic takes just make it even more fun, or even funnier if you’re a part of it. I think this is kind of like that.

Where it gets weird and makes me feel like this is some kind of no man’s land in between two different realms of existence, is the fact that, hello? Glastonbury is not about karaoke night, and ALSO, it is just still going to be kind of weird no matter HOW much fun they’re having or whatever, if Des’ree is on stage belting out Whitney’s best songs, while ummm, also hello? Whitney is also still singing her own songs and sorry but facts are facts - not a PATCH on the original here.

Again - I called it “a mixed bag” purely because of how many different things are going on here at once. It’s not supposed to be a patch on the original. It’s being sold as a fan karaoke where the fan also previously had his own 15 minutes in the spotlight, and the whole karaoke thing of it; works simply because how how deeply beloved Smiths songs are. By the performers and by the audience alike.

The love for these songs is truly immortal, and people will get super excited for Smiths karaoke at Glastonbury in lieu of the real thing - because Smiths songs are the light that will never go out.

You’ll never catch me in one of these audiences, but that’s just because I don’t f*** with no Des’ree.

What does the doctor poster with google translate from S America always say?

Love you Mozzuchis? Mozzukiss?

I can’t remember, but’s super funny, and it’s so good!! So, me too! ;) ❤️

Last edited:
In conclusion: i think they should go out the third Friday night of every month and have actual real karaoke night together as friends, and I ditto the poster who said why the f*** isn’t Morrissey headlining instead.

During the interview with Jo Whiley, Rick didn’t mention Morrissey at all. Ok, he did compliment Morrissey and the way he sings the lyrics, but he never once mentioned Morrissey. Un-f***ing-forgivable.
I noticed that. You can’t / aren’t allowed (?) to utter Morrissey’s name but you can get up on stage and receive adulation for singing his words (like a foghorn). Strange days.

Last edited:
I noticed that. You can’t / aren’t allowed to utter Morrissey’s name but you can get up on stage and receive adulation for singing his words (like a foghorn). Strange days.
Sure, but at least they spent more time than I've heard anyone do in a while actually appreciating M's skill and acknowledging that he cannot really be replaced, only impersonated. Also, it's possible that by not mentioning Morrissey's name they denied the interviewers the opportunity to have a dig? Must admit, I was giddy with excitement at the NO BUTS!!

i will give it a miss,good on them for doing it.
i watched a reaction video on ricks channel one night,the video was fans invading the stage and hugging M,rick was excited by what he was watching,think hes a smiths fan but not really an M fan.

Imagine going back to your 1980s self and telling them that in 2023 they will moderately like Rick Astley and absolutely despise Morrissey.

'anyone outside the tent might be forgiven for thinking it was the real deal … or at very least a particularly compelling episode of Stars in Their Eyes.'

Indeed, but couldn't the same be said about anyone randomly passing by any Morrissey solo gig of the past few decades?

I think The Blossoms have a far greater handle on 'the classics' than other karaoke 🎤 tribute acts to The Smiths - like this one who call themselves 'Morrissey '...

...Lana Del Rey is late...

Kind regards

Brummie Boy

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ey-glastonbury-review-smiths-covers-morrissey

A drunken women sat next to me on a bench the other day and said "You look like Rick Astley". I was offended at the time but now in happy haze of a drunken hour....maybe it's not so bad. I like Rick.

In conclusion: i think they should go out the third Friday night of every month and have actual real karaoke night together as friends, and I ditto the poster who said why the f*** isn’t Morrissey headlining instead.

You said this in your other post - And if other people’s songs are going to go down better than their own, they are clearly all fine with headlining karaoke night.

Not sure what you mean by that as Rick played the main stage earlier today doing mainly his own stuff and has an arena tour later this year. Blossoms have had 3 number one albums and also have a massive following.

You said this in your other post - And if other people’s songs are going to go down better than their own, they are clearly all fine with headlining karaoke night.

Not sure what you mean by that as Rick played the main stage earlier today doing mainly his own stuff and has an arena tour later this year. Blossoms have had 3 number one albums and also have a massive following.
Good for them. Then i think they could quit hogging the stages with double billing at the same event.

Do other bands or singers at Glastonbury also get their own slot, and then a second separate karaoke slot?

If not, why not?

'anyone outside the tent might be forgiven for thinking it was the real deal … or at very least a particularly compelling episode of Stars in Their Eyes.'

Indeed, but couldn't the same be said about anyone randomly passing by any Morrissey solo gig of the past few decades?

I think The Blossoms have a far greater handle on 'the classics' than other karaoke 🎤 tribute acts to The Smiths - like this one who call themselves 'Morrissey '...

...Lana Del Rey is late...

Kind regards

Brummie Boy

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ey-glastonbury-review-smiths-covers-morrissey

Good lord I remember that utter shit from when he sang it in Bradford in 2011.

Good for them. Then i think they could quit hogging the stages with double billing at the same event.

Do other bands or singers at Glastonbury also get their own slot, and then a second separate karaoke slot?

If not, why not?

Who knows but as long as they and the crowd had fun, what does it matter.

I think outdoor festivals on a beautiful summer night definitely have their place in people’s lives, and if I was at one and the Smiths aren’t together anymore and these guys are playing all my favorite songs, I would make someone give me a drag of whatever they’re having and I would close my eyes and it would still be Morrissey in my head, even if it was Rick Astley right there.

These people are super excited because this is the best they’re going to get right now, tonight, in this moment in time.

And so they made a big Smiths party out of it. Because what else are you gonna do, when that’s exactly what it is?

❤️

I think outdoor festivals on a beautiful summer night definitely have their place in people’s lives, and if I was at one and the Smiths aren’t together anymore and these guys are playing all my favorite songs, I would make someone give me a drag of whatever they’re having and I would close my eyes and it would still be Morrissey in my head, even if it was Rick Astley right there.

These people are super excited because this is the best they’re going to get right now, tonight, in this moment in time.

And so they made a big Smiths party out of it. Because what else are you gonna do, when that’s exactly what it is?

❤️
If the songs of The Smiths are as epochal as many people here attest then this spectacular 'mass consciousness' eruption of 'karaoke emotion' is exactly what they would expect to see.

Rick Astley is proving that those songs have a life, an integrity that surpasses the dramas of Morrissey's periodic implosions.

Morrissey doesn't own The Smiths. He never did. He doesn't own their legacy either. He's had a good 'karaoke' solo career impersonating himself but he knows deep down that he's spent decades chasing the shadow of who he once was. That has been, in its own way, a morbidly fascinating spectacle to observe.

Lana is finally onstage singing 'Bartender' as her make-up entourage redesign her hairdo. I'd like to hear Morrissey do an album of Lana Del Rey covers. Or Lana do an album of Morrissey covers. Or a duets album. Something. Anything...to interrupt the tedium of yet more nondescript solo albums from Morrissey.

BB

Looked on iPlayer and can only see Ricks main set not the Smiths one, anyone have a link?
Thanks

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom