Binyamina-Giv'at Ada - Zappa Amphi Shuni (July 2, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Our Frank / I Wish You Lonely / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Knockabout World / Notre-Dame (live debut) / Jim Jim Falls / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / The Night Pop Dropped / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Loop / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of Hagit Yaron FB.

Last edited:
Before deciding to release 'Notre Dame', what possible reputational and legal consequences might a record company consider?

What possible 'morbid sequelae' might result from radio stations and streaming platforms amplifying the conspiratorial mindset evidenced by these lyrics, allowing disturbed and delusional persons to think that 'official' outlets giving this song's lyrics coverage means tacit endorsement?

Might their lawyers suggest it would be 'inappropriate' to give the oxygen of publicity to this new song for reasons related to public safety and aesthetic decency?

Might they have previously given similar advice in relation to 'Bonfire Of Teenagers'?

Who is Morrissey referencing when he sings "we will not be silent"? Presumably those who still insist that the catastrophe of Notre Dame was a terrorist attack that was 'covered up' by... the entire apparatus of the French state...?

What has motivated Morrissey to debut this track when riots are engulfing France? Perhaps he wants a record company to rush release it as a charity single to fundraise for all the 'bonfire of buildings' torched during the current ongoing disturbances?

Perhaps he believes that the current riots are somehow mysteriously connected to the conflagration of Notre Dame? Or maybe the timing of this debut is pure coincidence 🤔?

Or... perhaps he is just a desperate, opportunistic troll in his dotage, who will write or sing anything that both gets him attention and that feeds his personal conspiracy theory, one which posits that he is a victim of political censorship rather than commercial disinterest?

The career nadirs are getting deeper...no responsible, credible record company will touch this track with a barge-pole.

BrummieBoy

A former far-right political candidate who believed a conspiracy theory about the Notre Dame fire tried burning down a French mosque as 'revenge'​

Lauren Frias
Nov 7, 2019, 2:04 AM ET
notre dame

• Notre-Dame Cathedral was ablaze in April, and investigators identified an electrical short-circuit as a likely origin of the fire.
  • However, a conspiracy theory that the fire was made at the hands of Muslim attackers caught hold with some far-right extremists.
  • Claude Sinké, a former candidate for France's far-right National Rally party who believed in the theory, has been charged with attempting to set a mosque in Bayonne, France, on fire, and opening shooting two Muslim men who confronted him.
  • He told investigators that the attack was "revenge" for the Notre Dame fire, according to reports.
  • Sinké is charged with arson and attempted murder, though prosecutors did not charge him with terrorism offenses.

https://www.insider.com/french-extremist-attempted-arson-mosque-act-of-revenge-notre-dame-2019-11

Exactly! When he looked like James Dean and the songs were The National Front Disco and Bengali In Platforms, it was much, much easier to let things slide. That ship has sailed.

It should be easier to let things slide now that he is 64 and has gone through an awful lot in his personal life, as well as in his career as a songwriter and singer.

Always too much scrutiny and bad press. Moz's already suffered enough.

And of course you don't.

What was the last time you actually enjoyed a new Morrissey song?
The music is good. Looking at the Notre Dame clip, he seems disconnected from the music. It has the look and feel of karaoke. Standing motionless, back to the audience, waiting for his turn to sing some repetitive lyrics. Just calling it as I see it.

It should be easier to let things slide now that he is 64 and has gone through an awful lot in his personal life, as well as in his career as a songwriter and singer.

Always too much scrutiny and bad press. Moz's already suffered enough.
So that's why it's OK to offer such a track and then we should all say: A return to form! Why doesn't this man have a record deal? How unfair. In this way, yes?
If Ian Stuart Donaldson and Nicky Crane were still alive, they would probably vie for his favor and try to release his new records on their label. One can only hope he would resist it.

The music is good. Looking at the Notre Dame clip, he seems disconnected from the music. It has the look and feel of karaoke. Standing motionless, back to the audience, waiting for his turn to sing some repetitive lyrics. Just calling it as I see it.
That doesn't really answer my question ;)

But agree on the musical part!

So that's why it's OK to offer such a track and then we should all say: A return to form! Why doesn't this man have a record deal? How unfair. In this way, yes?
If Ian Stuart Donaldson and Nicky Crane were still alive, they would probably vie for his favor and try to release his new records on their label. One can only hope he would resist it.

Phranc, my comment has to do with love and respect for Morrissey's trajectory. Just that.

I'm beginning to think there is no chance Morrissey is ever going to appear on any tv or music related media in any form for past or present solo work again at this point, nor have any chance of getting another album released.

They've made him persona non grata for less controversial things than this, and they had already began to omit him from things he was relevant to. It's so frustrating how self destructive this is to his career and legacy for a song that has no trace of the talent and artistry he's capable of. :straightface:

Well, that's the next album nobbled too.
😂
FWD.
Yep he’s adamant he won’t be silenced, even at the expense of his recording career. Unfortunately it won’t just be new album’s but rereleases of his back catalogue he’s making himself untouchable.

Yep he’s adamant he won’t be silenced, even at the expense of his recording career. Unfortunately it won’t just be new album’s but rereleases of his back catalogue he’s making himself untouchable.
In America, we say "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

Several listens in, Notre Dame is pretty good. The music really makes up for the lackluster lyrics. The comparisons made earlier to the Rolling Stones’ and Pink Floyd’s late 70s flirtations with disco and funk are apt. As with The Night Pop Dropped, which recalls the Eagles’ and Warren Zevon’s electro-funk excursions, I never thought I’d hear Morrissey mining that period, but somehow it sounds swell. Like the songs from Bonfire, the songs from Without Music are so far promising.

The lyrics unfortunately are terrible, but at least they finally confirm what’s long been suspected. Brandishing a crucifix before an Israeli audience is kind of odd, but I guess it works with the song. I have to speculate that Morrissey at this point might be something of a Douglas Murray: atheist/agnostic but sympathetic to Catholicism culturally and admiring of the “Judaeo-Christian patrimony of the West” and all that idiocy. Pobre Esteban.
You're so right, the music has a gorgeous groove to it. He could have sung almost anything over this and it could be a great new Morrissey track. But instead he chooses to do that *awful* finger-wagging thing, telling us what to think. Ugh.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom