"Playboys" and "Kill Uncle" remastered both fail to make Top 100 UK charts

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
Re: Article: "Playboys" and "Kill Uncle" remastered both fail to make Top 100 UK char

Have any of us bought these re-issues? I own Playboys three times on different formats, I'll be f***ed if I'm buying it again. I have one copy of KU and that's enough.

Make and release something new and I'll buy it but I'm not going to keep buying the same record just because it's got a different cover and some b-sides added to it. f*** that.

They can't all be Hatful of Hollow (I LOVE that album to death!) I own Playboys on Bona Drag and The Best of Morrissey.

Re: Article: "Playboys" and "Kill Uncle" remastered both fail to make Top 100 UK char

so in other words, they performed the same as they did 22 years ago

I am not surprised at all , why should they have made it ?

Cheers Moz

It's a shame that the tracks tacked on to the re-issue of Playboys couldn't be released as a stand alone ep. Whether it was any good or not that would have charted imo.

I think you'll find the Aladdin Sane reissue is in the top 40 on the album midweeks.

I got my copy of Kill Uncle in the mail today! I am pleasantly surprised that I am really enjoying the remaster.

I was annoyed at the remaster for Viva Hate because it didn't offer us anything new and refused to buy it. I didn't understand what Moz was doing?! I finally received it as a gift and let it sit on my desk for weeks...hey I was hurt at the removal of a track and the fact that there were no unreleased tracks, a nice booklet, new pictures, etc. Well, I eventually got over it....what can we do? Figure out what Morrissey is thinking? Surely not.

When the Kill Uncle remaster was announced I didn't bother getting uppity, I knew I'd buy it. I had at this point adjusted my expectations.

It really sounds better! The sound is crisper and the vocals louder. I'm glad I bought it;)

Last edited:

It's a shame that the tracks tacked on to the re-issue of Playboys couldn't be released as a stand alone ep. Whether it was any good or not that would have charted imo.

Absolutely, if Morrissey released an EP of unreleased material it would have charted. I imagine that wasn't in the cards because he doesn't have a label.

Btw, what happened to "Scandinavia"? He stopped playing it live and it was left off the reissues. I thought it was a good song.

Last edited:

I got my copy of Kill Uncle in the mail today! I am pleasantly surprised that I am really enjoying the remaster.

I was annoyed at the remaster for Viva Hate because it didn't offer us anything new and refused to buy it. I didn't understand what Moz was doing?! I finally received it as a gift and let it sit on my desk for weeks...hey I was hurt at the removal of a track and the fact that there were no unreleased tracks, a nice booklet, new pictures, etc. Well, I eventually got over it....what can we do? Figure out what Morrissey is thinking? Surely not.

When the Kill Uncle remaster was announced I didn't bother getting uppity, I knew I'd buy it. I had at this point adjusted my expectations.

It really sounds better! The sound is crisper and the vocals louder. I'm glad I bought it;)

Uppity? Where are you? Savannah, Georgia? What century is it? Are you on a plantation? Jaysus! And the Right wonder why us Gramscians have such lulz with policing language? Are you ins some sort of subservient relationship with a consumer product and it's purveyor, Morrissey?

Why are you pleasantly surprised? What are you enjoying about being ripped off by laziness? As for it sounding 'better': type Loudness Wars into your browser and start educating yourself. Remasters can sometimes improve poor quality mixing and mastering, but Kill Uncle needed re-imagining and re-recording, as well as remastering. It needed "Kill Uncle-Redux. Director's Cut" with a stripped down rockabilly homage to the live set of these songs, alongside a remix of the originals and a remaster of them. Funnily enough, there's a few serious artists out there who do exactly this type of thing:

Kate Bush was finally given permission to quote James Joyce directly. The first time ever his estate have said "yes". She took bad 80s/90s 'everything and the kitchen sink" mixes and production, stripped it all down to basics, changed tempos and instrumental palettes and, hey presto! Not a 're-release' or not just that, but a totally new and vital piece of art that is far beyond the original in my not so humble opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director's_Cut_(Kate_Bush_album)

There's a reason why some English artists like Bowie and Bush are revered, such that they can take a decade off and not worry about being 'past it'. And there's a reason why Morrissey almost put himself into an early grave through compulsive touring for compliant audience 'feedback' yet cannot write a song that genuinely inspires like his earlier works: he is exhausted. Physically, mentally. And morally. Take a decade off, come back when you're refreshed. Actually, take as long as you need until inspiration and The Muses return. 3 months. 1 year. 10 years. It's very sad that you don't trust your core Audience, having trashed your relationship with them for a malevolent co-dependent mutual wank-fest with a tiny coterie of sometimes demented 'fans'. Grow up. If you had chosen children, you'd have had to. But you can still grow up and stop the nonsense, as your comments on Thatcher's funeral proved. James Joyce wasn't a huge fan of punctuation and formatting either. I don't think he'd have got on very well with the pernickity grammar nazis on this site who get 'uppity' about a misplaced comma, but bend and spread and pay hard cash to be ripped off by their NME X-Fcuktor Pop Idol with feet of clay.

Just sayin'!

Last edited:

Uppity? Where are you? Savannah, Georgia? What century is it? Are you on a plantation? Jaysus! And the Right wonder why us Gramscians have such lulz with policing language? Are you ins some sort of subservient relationship with a consumer product and it's purveyor, Morrissey?

Why are you pleasantly surprised? What are you enjoying about being ripped off by laziness? As for it sounding 'better': type Loudness Wars into your browser and start educating yourself. Remasters can sometimes improve poor quality mixing and mastering, but Kill Uncle needed re-imagining and re-recording, as well as remastering. It needed "Kill Uncle-Redux. Director's Cut" with a stripped down rockabilly homage to the live set of these songs, alongside a remix of the originals and a remaster of them. Funnily enough, there's a few serious artists out there who do exactly this type of thing:

Kate Bush was finally given permission to quote James Joyce directly. The first time ever his estate have said "yes". She took bad 80s/90s 'everything and the kitchen sink" mixes and production, stripped it all down to basics, changed tempos and instrumental palettes and, hey presto! Not a 're-release' or not just that, but a totally new and vital piece of art that is far beyond the original in my not so humble opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director's_Cut_(Kate_Bush_album)

There's a reason why some English artists like Bowie and Bush are revered, such that they can take a decade off and not worry about being 'past it'. And there's a reason why Morrissey almost put himself into an early grave through compulsive touring for compliant audience 'feedback' yet cannot write a song that genuinely inspires like his earlier works: he is exhausted. Physically, mentally. And morally. Take a decade off, come back when you're refreshed. Actually, take as long as you need until inspiration and The Muses return. 3 months. 1 year. 10 years. It's very sad that you don't trust your core Audience, having trashed your relationship with them for a malevolent co-dependent mutual wank-fest with a tiny coterie of sometimes demented 'fans'. Grow up. If you had chosen children, you'd have had to. But you can still grow up and stop the nonsense, as your comments on Thatcher's funeral proved. James Joyce wasn't a huge fan of punctuation and formatting either. I don't think he'd have got on very well with the pernickity grammar nazis on this site who get 'uppity' about a misplaced comma, but bend and spread and pay hard cash to be ripped off by their NME X-Fcuktor Pop Idol with feet of clay.

Just sayin'!

I am an educated consumer and was well aware of what I was buying with Kill Uncle. I was not ripped off because I wanted it. Mostly I really wanted the remaster. My point was that the remaster is an improved version in terms of audio quality. I liked the fact that the vocals were louder; in my opinion it improved the songs. I am aware of "loudness wars" and have a few remasters from different artists that fall into that category (usually it's an over loud bass). There have been Morrissey offerings over the years that I have passed on. I do not feel compelled to buy blindly. However, Morrissey is very special to me so I am always tempted and even if the product is less than perfect it tends to make me happy. Most people have something they spend a little too much on and for many of us it's Morrissey. :o

I am an educated consumer and was well aware of what I was buying with Kill Uncle. I was not ripped off because I wanted it. Mostly I really wanted the remaster. My point was that the remaster is an improved version in terms of audio quality. I liked the fact that the vocals were louder; in my opinion it improved the songs. I am aware of "loudness wars" and have a few remasters from different artists that fall into that category (usually it's an over loud bass). There have been Morrissey offerings over the years that I have passed on. I do not feel compelled to buy blindly. However, Morrissey is very special to me so I am always tempted and even if the product is less than perfect it tends to make me happy. Most people have something they spend a little too much on and for many of us it's Morrissey. :o

You know what? Go for it! If it gives you pleasure to hear the vocals slightly louder and a better stereo panning on a 2 decade old album, why not? Morrissey is special to me too. I just think he needs a bit of a kick out of complacency, but if he's content to play to the same old crowd, that's fine. I'll pass and get fired up about something genuinely exciting, like the new Daft Punk single. You take care now, and enjoy those special moments with Morrissey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M7VTByl6WqA#!

Back in the old days, when I was a teenager living at home with Mom & Dad, I could afford to buy several copies of the same album just to get a different cover art. This is why I have 3 copies of Elvis Costello's "This Year's Model"- simply because on the back cover, the hand holding the miniature TV set has a different type of rubber glove on! Nowadays, I a m muddled down by mundane things like paying for electricity and braces for my son's teeth and buying re-issues and re-,asters of the same CD/record, just make me say "Why?" I did buy several vinyl copies of Morrissey/Smiths CDs...because I truly believe that the music sounded much better on vinyl, even with the little scratches and pops. (shrugs)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom