"Playboys" and "Kill Uncle" remastered both fail to make Top 100 UK charts

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
Re: Playboys and Kill Uncle remastered both fail to make top 100 UK charts

That's because the majority don't have any musical understanding.

No, it was an ill-judged release from a person whose chart career is going down the pan. All facts. In fact, since we could do with facts, what are the sales figures and positions (UK) for these releases, compared with sales figures and positions (UK) for his previous albums and singles releases? What does the trajectory look like?

P.

Last edited:

Or maybe, just maybe, the album and single stopped being relevant to the charts 2 decades ago.

Aaaaaawwwwwww. Poor Morrissey.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, it was an ill-judged release from a person whose chart career is going down the pan. All facts. In fact, since we could do with facts, what are the sales figures and positions (UK) for these releases, compared with sales figures and positions (UK) for his previous albums and singles releases? What does the trajectory look like?

P.

Perhaps it's just me but Kill Uncle was always one of my favourite albums. It just seems such a shame that "artists" and yes I am using that term loosely, such as one direction or pitbull seem to take the majority of single and album sales.

Again...a little bit of a shame really.

No, it isn't. That song and album had their time.

If he wants to compete in the charts, he needs to quit being a diva, sign a record deal and release some new material instead of continually relying on nostalgia to fill his bank account.

Is anyone really surprised?

a. this kind of music struggles to chart as high these days
b. it's only a remaster
c. it's a half-assed re-release at that
d. it was hardly advertised
e. it wasn't exactly well-received upon its original release in 1991 anyway

If he wants to get back into the charts, he's got to release a new album (or at least a quality remaster, like Bona Drag). And if he wants to get fairly high in the charts, he's got to 'play the game', do TV interviews, promotion etc.

b. it's only a remaster

If he wants to get back into the charts, he's got to release a new album (or at least a quality remaster, like Bona Drag). And if he wants to get fairly high in the charts, he's got to 'play the game', do TV interviews, promotion etc.

"Struggles to chart as high?" - we're not talking about missing the top 10 here. It missed the top f***ing 100!
To get high in the charts, all he needs is brilliant songs. And all he hasn't got is brilliant songs. He's ditched the one person (Alain Whyte) who was actually capable of brilliance. By his own admission, all he's got to offer now, musically, is songs which are 'not awful'.
You couldn't make it up.

Re: Article: "Playboys" and "Kill Uncle" remastered both fail to make Top 100 UK char

Who was the target purchaser for the Kill Uncle release? Didn't Morrissey always seem to pan it, yet now he expects people to buy it...again?

But that would make too much sense...

I always loved _Kill Uncle_ too. It has a unique sound and the lyrics are funny in that they are mostly about Moz hanging out with some dude's girlfriend. Hee hee. I always wondered if "Our Frank" was inspired by Michael Franks' "When Sly Calls". But apparently Moz didn't like the smooth sound and turned the album rockabilly for the tour. Having said that, who is going to reach into their pockets and purchase these releases? I'm sure most of us already purchased them long ago. Even if anyone didn't, paying for music just isn't necessary anymore. That's why even artists like One Direction & Pitbull don't sell as many albums as 90s artists did. (Pitbull even had to rip off an A-ha riff and get marketed on commercial radio and TV.) Yes, when/if Moz releases a new album, he will need marketing. Lucky for him, he gets free marketing on m-solo. But he wants the level of marketing that major labels employ and they use illegal tactics (see third party payola loophole.) I wonder if Moz condones illegal marketing tactics. I think he should lobby Congress for stricter laws. Maybe collaborate with rock-star-wannabe Elliot Spitzer.

Despite all these music-marketing ideas, I like when Moz just does his own press and comments on public figures. For example, Chelsea Clinton is a meat-eater, yet Prince William opposes the illegal blood ivory trade.

Perhaps it's just me but Kill Uncle was always one of my favourite albums. It just seems such a shame that "artists" and yes I am using that term loosely, such as one direction or pitbull seem to take the majority of single and album sales.

Of course they didn't chart.

Sigh...
As much as I love the man, he needs to pull his head out of his ass and realize that the world has changed around him, ESPECIALLY the record industry.
What he wants no longer exists, and even if it did, would likely pass him over at this stage in his career.

I suppose I can always live in hope that Rick Rubin comes along and "Johnny Cash"es him before he dies. IF Moz would listen to anybody apart from himself, and what I suppose are a core group of yes men at his service.

No, it isn't. That song and album had their time.

If he wants to compete in the charts, he needs to quit being a diva, sign a record deal and release some new material instead of continually relying on nostalgia to fill his bank account.

Well said viva

The blokes an arshole at the moment. America has killed him. He has no new songs. No book. No record deal. No real band. No belonging to Manchester. It would not surprise me if he funded the I R A the way he goes on.

P Hogg

Meanwhile, over on the Train forums they're ecstatic that Hey Soul Sister has reentered at #78.

Morrissey himself said if he could change anything about his career he said he would delete Kill Uncle. Why should anyone else care about the remaster?

b. it's only a remaster

I always buy these in the bargain bucket for f*** all, its a win win win for me.

Ha ha

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom