Kill Uncle

P

poplloyd

15 years ago it came out. Many people, even die hard Morrissey fans loathed the record. Is there anybody else besides me who absolutely loved the album?

Driving Your Girlfriend Home remains lyrically my favourite Morrissey song- and I love the repetaing bass line and back-up vocals.Asian Rut really displayed his vocal range. Our Frank and Sing Your Life were smart singles.

Plus look at the great B sides that came from it- That's Entertainment and The Loop.

It remains my favorite sleeve as well. anyone agree?

> 15 years ago it came out. Many people, even die hard Morrissey fans
> loathed the record. Is there anybody else besides me who absolutely loved
> the album?

> Driving Your Girlfriend Home remains lyrically my favourite Morrissey
> song- and I love the repetaing bass line and back-up vocals.Asian Rut
> really displayed his vocal range. Our Frank and Sing Your Life were smart
> singles.

> Plus look at the great B sides that came from it- That's Entertainment and
> The Loop.

> It remains my favorite sleeve as well. anyone agree?

..errrr....in a word no.The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye is easily the worst Morrissey album track of all time.Painful to listen to.

It had a few bright points such as Sing Your Life and the fantastic King Leer but it Morrissey's worst album.

Other than Mute Witness and maybe Sing Your Life I think it's pretty ropey and definitely his worst album. But I'd agree that the sleeve and some of the B-sides were good, and I really liked Pregnant For The Last Time from around that period, which everyone else seems to write off these days (including Morrissey himself I think).

And I don't know hy Moz writes off that period. It's a deep and multi layered album.

Our Frank- great lyrics great ending good pop song.
Asian Rut- Moz's voice is at it's best.
Sing Your Life- Done better remade on KROQ, love it!
Mute Witness- fun and poppy
FOund Found Found- What's not to like? Great voice and lyrics.
Driving Your Girlfriend Home-A+
King Lear- fun and silly and catchy
Harsh Truth-ok, not the best song.
End Of Family Line-beauty!
Place In Hell-KROQ version was better

it has its moments, sure. In my opinion, though, the songs sound much better live, as documented on Live in Dallas, the Live at KROQ EP, and countless bootlegs.

There is just something wimpy about the album's sound - when the songs are beefed up in a live setting with the Lads, the results are better.

Will agree Sing Your Life and Place In Hell sounded great as a rockibilly song. But overall I just think lyrically he hits all points. ANd compare it to SOuthpaw(which isn't that bad years later) and Malajusted(his lowest)...

Kill Uncle Fixed

Given the 'desert island' choice, I'd take Maladjusted over Kill Uncle.....

That said, imagine this tracklisting, all recored with Boz, Gary, Alain, and Spencer:

Our Frank
Sing Your Live
Preggers For the Last Time
My Love Life
Found Found Found
Driving Your Girlfriend Home
I've Changed My Plea To Guilty
Skin Storm
I'm the End of the Family Line
Mute Witness
There is a Place in Hell For Me and My Friends

Much Better.

> Will agree Sing Your Life and Place In Hell sounded great as a rockibilly
> song. But overall I just think lyrically he hits all points. ANd compare
> it to SOuthpaw(which isn't that bad years later) and Malajusted(his
> lowest)...

Another Kill Uncle lover

As I reviewed on Amazon, it's an important album!

A rare gem still celebrated, November 3, 2005
Reviewer: Bob Stei (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
Spring of 1991: I am a 20-year-old student a Manhattan College in the Bronx. I remember traveling the 1/9 train subway with my friend and college radio partner to Tower Records downtown. Remember: There was no web, no leaks, and no previews. I remember it was chilly, and I was still getting over being dumped by my first college girlfriend. All I wanted was to hear this cd. I bought it and read the lyrics on the subway heading back to my dorm room.

"So how did I end up so deeply involved with the very existence I planned on avoiding?" is staring at me. Almost a paraphrase of what this girl had just told me before kicking me out of her dorm room a month ago! The chilling lyrics come from Kill Uncle's "Driving Your Girlfriend Home" which remains one of his best songs to date- a beautiful poem featuring honest lyrics repeated by a chilling base line.

For weeks I was glued to "Uncle" and 14 years later it remains on my all time favorites. A collection of rock, jazz and opera type songs, a collage of feelings and ideas.

"Our Frank" is a clever pop song mocking someone who takes him or herself too seriously. "Our frank and open deep conversations, they get me nowhere, they just bring me down" kicks off this brilliant album. "Asian Rut" is a brilliant opera duet including a violin crying about prejudice in the English school system. "Sing Your Life" is a fun, rockabilly style piece offering people 15 seconds of fame, years before the reality craze took over. "King Leer" is a jazzy selection mocking him and a love affair gone bound. Other favorites include "Found Found Found" "(I'm) The End Of The Family Line" and "There's A Place In hell For Me And My Friends."

Maybe the critics in 1991 were confused by the deepness of the context both lyrically and musically of "Kill Uncle." It's a must for any cd collection.

Bob Stei
WZZO
Allentown, PA

Re: I love it as well!

Not really - it is a Tier III album

Back
Top Bottom