Kill Uncle Depreciation Thread

Shit, isn't it?

I would prefer to rationalize it as Morrissey going through an "awkward" phase. Most of the blame must go to the producers and musicians, though. The album was too feeble and quirky in its arrangements, a problem he corrected immediately by forming the band for his first solo tour.

For people coming to it years after it came out, I can understand how it may sound like shit. When I first bought it, the album was a tall drink of water after a long, dusty march through the post "Viva Hate" desert. Accordingly, I had no choice but to listen to it over and over, and I must say it has charms that don't pop out instantly, and which might elude listeners who are impatient and know they can throw on the later masterpieces like "Your Arsenal" or "Vauxhall and I". "Kill Uncle" was a drink of water, as I said, and though one had to pick out dirt, insects, and homeless chihuahas, it was, after all-- potable.

Nowadays I don't play it often, but I've still some affection for tracks like "There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends", "Mute Witness", and "Our Frank". Sometimes, in a charitable mood, I'll even admit to liking "Sing Your Life" a little. I suppose my verdict on "Kill Uncle" is that it would have worked better as an EP, and even when I play the good songs, I play the live versions almost exclusively.

Kill Uncle is a good album. Learn to live with the fact that opinions differ!

Great songs ruined by terrible production. Just listen to Mark Nevin's songs on Your Arsenal and imagine what Kill Uncle would've sounded like with a producer like Mick Ronson.

Yes, the production is flat and lifeless. The songs are certainly not his best, but when the standards have been set so high in the past, it's easy to see why it seems to be most people's least played album. Be honest, how often do you play it?

Yep exactly.
How come your subjective experience is inherently correct and definitive?

Personally I think it's the worst album he's done but our boy is so good it's still good. Although Morrissey is utterly unique I find it his most idiosyncratic album and for that it holds a lot of charm for me. It's just so uniquely Morrissey. For me the overall feel of the album is of Morrissey revelling in his idiosyncracies.

Last edited:
I really like "Kill Uncle" at the moment. I've never relly listened to it until about 4 weeks ago... I'd put it on a couple of times, but I thought it was a bit wierd. I didn't dislike it exactly, I just didn't ever want to hear it. But I put it on recently, and it sounded really good. I've listened to it just about every day since, I know it's not to everyones taste, but I think that's a good thing!

I agree with you in a sense, yes Kill Uncle was a awesome album, and yes opinions differ. I really thought this thread was stupid though.. it's so hard to hate something. They must really be trying.

For people coming to it years after it came out, I can understand how it may sound like shit. When I first bought it, the album was a tall drink of water after a long, dusty march through the post "Viva Hate" desert. Accordingly, I had no choice but to listen to it over and over, and I must say it has charms that don't pop out instantly, and which might elude listeners who are impatient and know they can throw on the later masterpieces like "Your Arsenal" or "Vauxhall and I". "Kill Uncle" was a drink of water, as I said, and though one had to pick out dirt, insects, and homeless chihuahas, it was, after all-- potable.

Exactly. Listen they played those songs on the radio here. That was big. They never played The Smiths, but briefly in that period there were these alternative stations popping up like miniature KROQ's and we had one out here in the rice fields of agricultural California. Got to hear Sing Your Life on the radio just like it was Richard Marx or something. So I always have affection for this record. It was a great summer.

yeah man anyone who thinks that kill uncles a bad rekkid is as cracked out as bobby brown on an interstate 5 motel 6 bender. and anyways now whitney and bobby are divorcing so maybe osama has a chance!!!

inshalla. holla.

and who the hell are you to judge my opinion as unhelpful thoughts you pompous ass. It's as valid as yours. No more and no less. Post your own opinion, don't tell me I can't have my own.

Back
Top Bottom