What does your significant other think of Moz?

It seems I never answered my own question, but there have been lots of interesting responses here....My husband (God rest his soul) hated Morrissey, he'd say things like, "He's got a great voice, but his lyrics suck....And he's gay and would never be interested in you!" (as if Moz and I were personal acquaintances :)). Yet, strangely enough, he supported my Moz habit....brought home "Morrissey Shot" one day from the book warehouse where he worked at the time, bought me Moz t-shirts, books, and even a poster on Ebay (the poster was never hung until recently). He encouraged me to go to my first Moz show in 2004, took the night off to watch the kiddies and everything. For my birthday, he made cakes and wrote things like "Happy Birthday, Maladjusted" and "Now My Heart is Full" on them.

Now I did know a guy once, who when we first met told me he liked The Smiths, and I was thoroughly impressed. We dated a few weeks, all the while I was thinking, "And he even likes The Smiths! Must be the perfect guy." After it ended, he confessed he can't stand to listen to Morrissey for more than 2 minutes, "too sad." All to impress me, or at least get into my knickers :p

It seems I never answered my own question, but there have been lots of interesting responses here....My husband (God rest his soul) hated Morrissey, he'd say things like, "He's got a great voice, but his lyrics suck....And he's gay and would never be interested in you!" (as if Moz and I were personal acquaintances ). Yet, strangely enough, he supported my Moz habit....brought home "Morrissey Shot" one day from the book warehouse where he worked at the time, bought me Moz t-shirts, books, and even a poster on Ebay (the poster was never hung until recently). He encouraged me to go to my first Moz show in 2004, took the night off to watch the kiddies and everything. For my birthday, he made cakes and wrote things like "Happy Birthday, Maladjusted" and "Now My Heart is Full" on them.

That's really cute. He obviously really loved you and your happiness was the most important thing for him... :) This is what real and unconditional love is about, I guess.

Now I did know a guy once, who when we first met told me he liked The Smiths, and I was thoroughly impressed. We dated a few weeks, all the while I was thinking, "And he even likes The Smiths! Must be the perfect guy." After it ended, he confessed he can't stand to listen to Morrissey for more than 2 minutes, "too sad." All to impress me, or at least get into my knickers :p

This is hilarious! :D Amazing what some guys would do to get into a girl's knickers! :rolleyes:

That's really cute. He obviously really loved you and your happiness was the most important thing for him... :) This is what real and unconditional love is about, I guess.

So, so true...I guess the sweetness of such gestures didn't register as fully with me then as they do now.

This is hilarious! :D Amazing what some guys would do to get into a girl's knickers! :rolleyes:

Also true! :)

Last edited:
It seems I never answered my own question, but there have been lots of interesting responses here....My husband (God rest his soul) hated Morrissey, he'd say things like, "He's got a great voice, but his lyrics suck....And he's gay and would never be interested in you!" (as if Moz and I were personal acquaintances :)). Yet, strangely enough, he supported my Moz habit....brought home "Morrissey Shot" one day from the book warehouse where he worked at the time, bought me Moz t-shirts, books, and even a poster on Ebay (the poster was never hung until recently). He encouraged me to go to my first Moz show in 2004, took the night off to watch the kiddies and everything. For my birthday, he made cakes and wrote things like "Happy Birthday, Maladjusted" and "Now My Heart is Full" on them.

You will find a couple of photos of a much younger me in that book. Front row, Dundee. My girlfriend and first love is the girl kissing Morrissey and mentioned in the foreword. She had grown out of Morrissey before the book was published.

I do have a Moz-loving other half, but I wouldn't have said that it affects our daily lives. And we don't sit around on a Friday evening listening to Bona Drag either. We still have arguments in the supermarket (with him putting the sandwiches in the WRONG bag). FFS I wanted mine in a separate bag, what's wrong with that?

And we still can't convert the kids into being Morrissey fans. I think they're slightly embarassed by it all, but the offer of front row Edinburgh tickets just got a sneer off them. Never mind the "what, you're going to have your weird morrissey friends sleeping in OUR beds?" fiasco.

The dog is still undecided, however.

Shitnizzle! Thought I was signed in as GU.

love

GU

you nead to get your head examined, dear :rolleyes:

My lovely head (which has another half too, though on my avatar pic you can see only the right half) is absolutely fine, thank you, except that I don't really get your point... :confused: No need to explain though, I think I can live with it. ;)

I do have a Moz-loving other half, but I wouldn't have said that it affects our daily lives. And we don't sit around on a Friday evening listening to Bona Drag either. We still have arguments in the supermarket (with him putting the sandwiches in the WRONG bag). FFS I wanted mine in a separate bag, what's wrong with that?

And we still can't convert the kids into being Morrissey fans. I think they're slightly embarassed by it all, but the offer of front row Edinburgh tickets just got a sneer off them. Never mind the "what, you're going to have your weird morrissey friends sleeping in OUR beds?" fiasco.

The dog is still undecided, however.

Shitnizzle! Thought I was signed in as GU.

love

GU

This is lovely! :D You keep trying with the kids... or just concentrate your efforts on the dog!

My kids make it known, as often as possible, that they do NOT like Morrissey. Although my older one likes many groups that cite him and The Smiths as influences. I like to tease her about that :)

My colleague wanted to know a little more about Morrissey and so I gave her the Who put the M in Manchester DVD.
She didn't like it much but her 6 year old son did!
She said he pressed the "pause"-button, went up to his room, came back with his "guitar" and "played" along with every song. :p

My colleague wanted to know a little more about Morrissey and so I gave her the Who put the M in Manchester DVD.
She didn't like it much but her 6 year old son did!
She said he pressed the "pause"-button, went up to his room, came back with his "guitar" and "played" along with every song. :p

That little guy has an impeccable taste! ;)

My husband loves morrissey more than I do :D I think there's 3 of us in this marriage sometimes :rolleyes:

I would be okay with that.

My DH does not care for Moz or my obsession with him. He thinks I'm nuts. Get's pissed that there is always Moz/Smiffs on in my car. I get my daily dose. It's all good! I tell him MOZ MAKES ME HAPPY -a happy wife makes for a happy husband -and kids! I tell him it's a passion -something I am passionate for- for so many reasons, he should embrace us (me & Moz =o)
Just before I left for the IN show he said (tongue in cheek) "have fun! to love you is to love morrissey!". He's finally catching on :D

My other half is not a fan by any means, yet brought me to 5 out of 8 shows in 2007, doesn't do much other than roll his eyes a bit when I have it in the car, and recently asked to go ahead and burn him CD of my Moz/Smiths favorites for him to listen to on his commute.
He knows that it's making me happy, it's been a hard year so he supports my habit/obsession.

Last edited:
My other half is not a fan by any means, yet brought me to 5 out of 8 shows in 2007, doesn't do much other than roll his eyes a bit when I have it in the car, and recently asked to go ahead and burn him CD of my Moz/Smiths favorites for him to listen to on his commute.
He knows that it makes me happy, and having a tendency to be a bit on the depressed side, he supports my habit.

does he have a brother? :p

You should have seen Mrs. NRitH's face when I asked her whether we had anything going on the week of January 21st. She just knew. And I don't mean "just knew" in "Come Back to Camden" style (which would've been nice); I mean "just knew that I was going to ask some ridiculous thing about a Morrissey concert."

In the words of my friend....

I would rather ask forgiveness than permission...
He begins his first attempt at marriage this April

Back
Top Bottom