Orlando, FL - Dr. Phillips Center - Walt Disney Theater (Oct. 7, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / I Wish You Lonely / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Our Frank / Girlfriend In A Coma / Darling, I Hug A Pillow (live debut) / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / How Soon Is Now? / Notre-Dame / Half A Person / Let Me Kiss You / The Loop / The Night Pop Dropped / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Jack The Ripper // Speedway

Setlist courtesy of setlist.fm.

Last edited:
19 songs.

9 singles,
4 classic songs that were not singles but are widely regarded as Morrissey's best,
1 older B-side,
2 songs off of the last 2 released albums,
3 unreleased songs.

For 40 years of Morrissey, I'd say the setlist covers it quite well. It's never been his thing to mix it up dramatically night to night - the band typically rehearses 25-30 songs over the course of a tour. Sure there's some tracks that people would rather hear something other than, but the artist cannot please everyone.
But. It doesn’t. It’s got that weak middle. The first 8 songs are good. Then it loses it way.

I was 50 in June. I dropped some sledgehammer hints that Moz was playing Graceland in October, so dovetailing the two overwhelming passions in my life. I was presented with two bottles of decent gin and a new shirt. Yes, the set list is a little tired...but I'd still give a few teeth to be there. Stop moaning. He's still performing. Enjoy.
I think it depends on where you live and how often Moz plays near you. I’m 46 and since he frequently ends up playing in the NY/NJ area, I’ve been lucky enough to see him somewhere between 13 and 15 times. But prior to the past 2-3 years, every tour started off kind of new. Sure, we never expected much variation during any particular tour…maybe a song swap here or there but that was totally fine. But this set is too similar to the tour around this time last year. If he wants to give the casual fans HSIN and EILS, that’s fine. But switch gears a bit for the fans who have been following him for years as well. One previously unplayed song off his most recently released album doesn’t give a tour titled “40 Years of Morrissey” the oomph it really deserves.

Same ol setlist... who is surprised? Not me!

I already knew that without a real guitarist, they are just gonna play the same ol stuff.
People got to admit that this is the weakest touring band MOZ has had in his 40 years.
Only the Drummer has talent. I feel so sorry for any new fans or fans that never seen Moz live before and that this is gonna be their first time seeing him without a good live band.

When Alain rejoined for a minute... he had some impact on the setlist.
But jesse can't play the deep cuts and hits so he has to play it safe and play the same songs.

I remember the days when almost every setlist was different and MOZ had a solid backing band.
I guess those days are long gone just like his days of having a record contract.

Can't wait to see the selist from Alain and the Lads in December... hes gonna put this "40 years of Moz" setlist to shame.

what a pity.

Poor MOZ... he's never been surrounded by so much mediocrity.
I think he is officially in his "Fat Elvis" stage... No rehearsing with the band just showing up and singing the same old songs over and over.
such a same when he has such a rich back catalogue.
Certainly you're in the right

The songs he played are fan favourites.
There was a guy in the toilets after going mad complaining about not knowing the songs. I asked him had he been to a Morrissey gig before and he replied he hadn't. I said what you just saw is a Morrissey gig. He doesn't play to please the people who turn up for their first gig expecting to hear The Queen Is Dead in its entirety......

How can songs off unreleased albums be fan favourites, most people at the gigs will have never heard them before.

You cannot help but feel that an artist with 40 years in the business, with four studio albums as a Smith, 12 solo studio albums (plus an album of cover versions) and 2 albums of unreleased material, should be able to deliver a set that is more interesting than this.

A residency where he played one solo album in its entirety each night?

A split set with the latest unreleased album played in full before a set of "hits"?

An evening where he plays every solo single in order of release?

Just something more celebratory and rewarding than this.

Does anyone from the front row or close to the stage have video of "Let Me Kiss You?" I think this was when he held my hand and I'd love to be able to see it! I was front row towards the left. ❤️

This sounds really good, with some nice energy. :D
I like this live debut too, of Darling I Hug a Pillow. It has a swinging groove and an unusual form. That bouncy bit in the middle, or chorus, moves into a different rhythm. It's probably not so straightforward to play. What do the musicians think?

I like this live debut too, of Darling I Hug a Pillow. It has a swinging groove and an unusual form. That bouncy bit in the middle, or chorus, moves into a different rhythm. It's probably not so straightforward to play. What do the musicians think?

I think you can hear how the players in the band are enjoying this one. I can't blame them, as it's a very dynamic track. Plus, the horn part is wonderful! One of the bright highlights of that LP for me.

Correction... I meant to say every Tour setlist was different.

I saw every show MOZ at the Hollywood Palladium residency in 2007 and every setlist was different.

since BOZ left jesse in charge the setlist hasn't changed very much.
When Alain came back... he was able to add a couple of tunes to the list.
jesse has to play it safe because his skills are limited as a musician... he can only do power chords and chain saw noises on his guitar.

face it... blame jesse and this new mediocre band lineup, they just can't play MOZ/Smiths tunes.

I feel bad for the drummer doing all the heavy lifting because hes the only one with talent.
BOOYAH!
Right on target.

I think the band will come together more over the next 10 or so shows and be playing much more tightly and together. There's talent there, but not much 'ownership' - though that's to be expected for what is basically a brand new group (hopefully not just rentals). The drummer is starting to grow on me, he plays with passion - and he's gonna need to keep doing just that until everybody else is pulling their weight. I know that Vandenburg is hot stuff, so maybe there shouldn't be a 'lead guitarist' in the group - rather Jesse should encourage her to play more to her capacity and really fill the room up. Jesse himself would only play better because of it. Carmen is being silenced somewhat and it would be a huge loss to the group if she was to leave due to boredom. It's difficult to replace Gustavo, so I won't fault Camila - but I think she needs to add more of her 'personal' touches. Juan, simply, could 'show' more on stage, move a little bit more - you can't leave it all up to the man in his mid-sixties.

I think the band will come together more over the next 10 or so shows and be playing much more tightly and together. There's talent there, but not much 'ownership' - though that's to be expected for what is basically a brand new group (hopefully not just rentals). The drummer is starting to grow on me, he plays with passion - and he's gonna need to keep doing just that until everybody else is pulling their weight. I know that Vandenburg is hot stuff, so maybe there shouldn't be a 'lead guitarist' in the group - rather Jesse should encourage her to play more to her capacity and really fill the room up. Jesse himself would only play better because of it. Carmen is being silenced somewhat and it would be a huge loss to the group if she was to leave due to boredom. It's difficult to replace Gustavo, so I won't fault Camila - but I think she needs to add more of her 'personal' touches. Juan, simply, could 'show' more on stage, move a little bit more - you can't leave it all up to the man in his mid-sixties.
Do you honestly think Jesse is going to relinquish his top dawg role? He’s had a vice like grip on that since Boz left. Not a cat in hell chance he’s going to encourage Carmen to be his equal. Sadly Jesses has a huge hold on Moz which is part of many of the problems.

Do you honestly think Jesse is going to relinquish his top dawg role? He’s had a vice like grip on that since Boz left. Not a cat in hell chance he’s going to encourage Carmen to be his equal. Sadly Jesses has a huge hold on Moz which is part of many of the problems.
I know what you're saying about Jesse, and clearly see how Occam's Razor (based on recent histories as you mentioned) would say that it wouldn't happen w/Carmen taking more of a lead because of him alone. However, even Jesse has a boss.

The band needs more time. Carmen needs to 'be allowed' to perform more. It'll open up new dimensions for the live experience, and people won't mind Our Frank, Around Paris so much with something new about it. Just like I mentioned w/Camila, Vandenburg needs to show her colors.

The photo with the full backdrop showing, the band members' glow from the lights is very easy on the eyes. Gorgeous lighting. I was thinking that the Walt Disney Theater would not disappoint in the audio/visual area.
You realise just how bad things have become when the best thing that can be said of a gig is, "The lighting was good".

Back
Top Bottom