If you could never hear TWO solo albums again...

I don't get why so many people dislike Quarry and America...

People get really hung up on the hamburger line. I think it's funny. I mean yeah it sounds a bit base, kind of, if you are only looking at that line, but then he totally shifts gear and does the "steely blue eyes" bit, which is great.

Well, keeping in mind I'm a little :crazy: and at the time I heard it, it was a delicate time for my mind babies. I was just forming my peace army in my brain and my right hand man I had in mind basically said "I don't like you" even though he says "I love you" in the end it's a hard pill to swallow after him saying "Just stay there, no need for you." so I was stunned. So for years I continued to flounder and waste time on this other site, it was bad, the whole thing. It was a great, great trick. The big waste of time curse. I know it;s different today, but then, living in hell and hearing that? Ugh! This is all crazy brain stuff.

Musically it's just a mediocre song. Not an album starter.

Well, keeping in mind I'm a little :crazy: and at the time I heard it, it was a delicate time for my mind babies. I was just forming my peace army in my brain and my right hand man I had in mind basically said "I don't like you" even though he says "I love you" in the end it's a hard pill to swallow after him saying "Just stay there, no need for you." so I was stunned. So for years I continued to flounder and waste time on this other site, it was bad, the whole thing. It was a great, great trick. The big waste of time curse. I know it;s different today, but then, living in hell and hearing that? Ugh! This is all crazy brain stuff.

Musically it's just a mediocre song. Not an album starter.

But you are not America, just as America is not the world. Why equate yourself to America? I love the song. It was a welcome return. Delicious vocals and delivery. Give it another listen.

As for the topic at hand: Kill Uncle would be one album....I don't think I could omit another....no, Kill Uncle is the only album I could just about bear losing. I would miss Driving your girlfriend home, Mute witness, Asian Rut, Harsh truth etc. I don't like this question (please ignore me as usual) :D.

But you are not America, just as America is not the world. Why equate yourself to America? I love the song. It was a welcome return. Delicious vocals and delivery. Give it another listen.

At the time, literally THE DAY I bought the album I was studying the World tarot card and all if it's finer points. The "cosmic" world has a wheel that you can drive with your wholesome positive energy, or alternately your negative suppressed energy. I was learning how the driver of the world wheel and the vehicle they drive in are often as one, it was a lesson about at oneness. So I was learning through signs and talking to "God" through other people that I was the car I was driving the world in. AMErIca. Then BLAM the loml sings I am notthe world, and oh yeah I have a big belly and my head is too big. So I thought, okay, this is a lesson in humility, I am NOT the car itself or by extension America, I'm just the driver. But something else that day, I don't remember what said "He hates you. Youre wasting your time." reading signs is a sometimes delicate thing. It can be very deflating. None of it made sense though because I knew the voice calling to me forever, it didn't mesh. And I hadn't learned the finer points of the concept of lavender, that we can trick ourselves into sending the wrong message to the right people, so I did all I could do. I turned the album off and ignored it until I could get my courage back up again. It's a weird science.

And I agree with you on those other songs and answering this question. It's impossible as Morrissey genius and comfort lurks at least every other song of every album and rerelease.

Last edited:
Morrissey has made two truly duff solo albums.
The worst one is Southpaw Grammar - it doesn't contain a single truly great song.
The second is Who Ate Me Curry which features just one truly great song.
All the others (yes, even Ringleader of the Tomatoes) have at least 2 or 3 great songs.
End of.

Well you're kind of right. It contains eight of them.

Indeed it does if by 'great' one means truly crap lyrics (easily his worst to date, at the time), consistently weak melodies, and the musical crimes of joyless drum solos, extended melody-free guitar 'workouts', and piss-poor attempts at grunge.
Of course, it's not all that bad. If we include the b-sides of Dagenham Dave, we add 2 genuinely great songs (Nobody Loves Us in particular). If you ignore the last 40 seconds of pointless, half-arsed grunge, Boy Racer is sharp and witty, and Reader Meet Author has a pleasing elegance to it but 8 great songs? Really?

Has to be 'You Are The Quarry' and 'Years of Refusal' for me.

I couldn't live without Sing Your Life, King Leer, There Is A Place and The End Of The Line on Kill Uncle.

I couldn't live without Reader Meet Author, Do Your Best And Don't Worry and Southpaw from Southpaw Grammar. The whole Southpaw Grammar album is lovely, in it's own different way. It's my jogging album too, so it would need to stay, or I'd get fat.

I love the entire Maladjusted album (I'm talking the reissue here, though) and the other albums, well most people seem to agree on their merits.

Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted are two of my most listened to albums. With Kill Uncle, as has been discussed, the production lets it badly down, but knowing what it can be (live performances) means that I hold it in high regard.

Indeed it does if by 'great' one means truly crap lyrics (easily his worst to date, at the time), consistently weak melodies, and the musical crimes of joyless drum solos, extended melody-free guitar 'workouts', and piss-poor attempts at grunge.
Of course, it's not all that bad. If we include the b-sides of Dagenham Dave, we add 2 genuinely great songs (Nobody Loves Us in particular). If you ignore the last 40 seconds of pointless, half-arsed grunge, Boy Racer is sharp and witty, and Reader Meet Author has a pleasing elegance to it but 8 great songs? Really?

Yes. Really. Eight great songs.

Well, look at that. Your opinion isn't fact after all. Who would've thought..

Back
Top Bottom