Binyamina-Giv'at Ada - Zappa Amphi Shuni (July 2, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Our Frank / I Wish You Lonely / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Knockabout World / Notre-Dame (live debut) / Jim Jim Falls / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / The Night Pop Dropped / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Loop / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of Hagit Yaron FB.

Last edited:
What a cringefest, he is a complete joke

Not sure. The band sounds, eh. The set is, eh. Looks like no energy on stage. Was hoping for more from the new musicians. Then again, I had gotten used to Alain and Gustav. Dare I say, they should come back? Dneuer...whats say you?
I’ve honestly not listened to the show other than Notre Dame. So, I can’t comment on how the band sounded on whole. Be interesting to hear AW’s take on that tune after he hears it.

Again, my personal opinion, I hate to admit that I side with most on this in that it’s the lyrics that let the song down. It’s a bit uninspired. One can write lyrics that aren’t overly complex or “clever” and still leave an impression. Moz has shown this to be true. This just doesn’t seem to be the case here. It’s possible the recorded version at least works better as a song than the live version, regardless of what one thinks of the lyrical content.

It’s perhaps a bit unfair to pass judgment on the new additions to the band lineup. So, maybe give them a chance to see if they gel. It’s rare that bands have immediate chemistry like they did when Alain came back at the same time Juan and Brendan joined. Keep in mind AW and Jesse made time to sort through some songs even before rehearsals started. I can’t speak for the others but Alain left nothing to chance. He was ready to go from day one and had practiced the songs up so much that he could play them in his sleep. So prepared that the sound/crew were blown away. I’m not sure the current band have had enough time to entertain the subtle nuances as a group yet. In time, perhaps. Thing is, chemistry is a weird thing and it shouldn’t be messed with if you’re blessed with it as a band. Those that matter in this example clearly see it a different way or at least chose not to prioritize it as much as I do and as I’ve noted previously, that’s their prerogative.

As for Alain, he has made it clear he enjoyed playing with M again (it appeared mutual). The band had a sound and energy that was bringing back old school fans in both the US & UK that had felt left out or drifted away for one reason or another. Camp M was aware of this and I’m guessing the great reviews and buzz from the fans were at least in part why they waited to let it be known there would be replacements for both Al & Gus until after tix for July we’re put on sale. They had both resigned long beforehand. Would they go back? Should they go back? Hmmm, I cannot speak for either, but I know AW has made it clear under the right circumstances, with some changes being made, he’d consider it for sure. Outside of say JM, there’s been no better overall co-writer (as with much of this, strictly my opinion), all things considered, but maybe that ship has sailed.

Imagine being a “die hard” (loved the earlier term front row fools!) traveling all the way to Israel only to get this setlist?

I’m trying to figure out how to offload my NYC tickets without taking a total bath.

What a sad joke.

I’ve honestly not listened to the show other than Notre Dame. So, I can’t comment on how the band sounded on whole. Be interesting to hear AW’s take on that tune after he hears it.

Again, my personal opinion, I hate to admit that I side with most on this in that it’s the lyrics that let the song down. It’s a bit uninspired. One can write lyrics that aren’t overly complex or “clever” and still leave an impression. Moz has shown this to be true. This just doesn’t seem to be the case here. It’s possible the recorded version at least works better as a song than the live version, regardless of what one thinks of the lyrical content.

It’s perhaps a bit unfair to pass judgment on the new additions to the band lineup. So, maybe give them a chance to see if they gel. It’s rare that bands have immediate chemistry like they did when Alain came back at the same time Juan and Brendan joined. Keep in mind AW and Jesse made time to sort through some songs even before rehearsals started. I can’t speak for the others but Alain left nothing to chance. He was ready to go from day one and had practiced the songs up so much that he could play them in his sleep. So prepared that the sound/crew were blown away. I’m not sure the current band have had enough time to entertain the subtle nuances as a group yet. In time, perhaps. Thing is, chemistry is a weird thing and it shouldn’t be messed with if you’re blessed with it as a band. Those that matter in this example clearly see it a different way or at least chose not to prioritize it as much as I do and as I’ve noted previously, that’s their prerogative.

As for Alain, he has made it clear he enjoyed playing with M again (it appeared mutual). The band had a sound and energy that was bringing back old school fans in both the US & UK that had felt left out or drifted away for one reason or another. Camp M was aware of this and I’m guessing the great reviews and buzz from the fans were at least in part why they waited to let it be known there would be replacements for both Al & Gus until after tix for July we’re put on sale. They had both resigned long beforehand. Would they go back? Should they go back? Hmmm, I cannot speak for either, but I know AW has made it clear under the right circumstances, with some changes being made, he’d consider it for sure. Outside of say JM, there’s been no better overall co-writer (as with much of this, strictly my opinion), all things considered, but maybe that ship has sailed.

Maybe M subconsciously wrote the song "Headache" about Jesse.

Re: Notre-Dame,
@dneuer was this what Alain imagined his tune would be used for!?
FWD.
I can only say that not much has seemed to change over the years as far as the songwriting process goes with M…
Band submits demos.
M chooses what he likes and can work with.
They go into the studio and hash out a musical direction based on M’s vision (sometimes completely reworking a song from the ground up, after stripping it to the foundation).
Lyrically, I think it’s still mostly a surprise to the band until vocals are tracked.

So, Alain really has no idea what the final outcome of a song will be until it’s mostly complete (minus the mixing). He has no input or idea as to what Mozzer is trying to accomplish lyrically until it’s complete. Sometimes he’s given direction such as “I’d like a song written in this style” or “can you write something that sounds like this” (paraphrasing, of course), but doesn’t know what the songs are about when he’s writing or submitting the music.

*I just want to point out that I honestly do not have an in with the band, nor have I ever been directly associated with them. I only mention things I know to be factual and when something is opinion (mine), I try to make sure that’s obvious. I don’t want anyone getting the impression I am in anyway speaking for M, the band or anyone directly involved. Many know by now of my personal/professional association with Alain and obviously we discuss things, but I’m careful to not disclose anything that would violate anyone’s confidence.

And I’m sorry these replies are so bloody long 😃

I can only say that not much has seemed to change over the years as far as the songwriting process goes with M…
Band submits demos.
M chooses what he likes and can work with.
They go into the studio and hash out a musical direction based on M’s vision (sometimes completely reworking a song from the ground up, after stripping it to the foundation).
Lyrically, I think it’s still mostly a surprise to the band until vocals are tracked.

So, Alain really has no idea what the final outcome of a song will be until it’s mostly complete (minus the mixing). He has no input or idea as to what Mozzer is trying to accomplish lyrically until it’s complete. Sometimes he’s given direction such as “I’d like a song written in this style” or “can you write something that sounds like this” (paraphrasing, of course), but doesn’t know what the songs are about when he’s writing or submitting the music.

*I just want to point out that I honestly do not have an in with the band, nor have I ever been directly associated with them. I only mention things I know to be factual and when something is opinion (mine), I try to make sure that’s obvious. I don’t want anyone getting the impression I am in anyway speaking for M, the band or anyone directly involved. Many know by now of my personal/professional association with Alain and obviously we discuss things, but I’m careful to not disclose anything that would violate anyone’s confidence.

And I’m sorry these replies are so bloody long 😃

If you wrote a book about the current state of the band I'd buy it in a heartbeat. :)

If you wrote a book about the current state of the band I'd buy it in a heartbeat. :)
It would have to be a picture book as my “wordiness” would drive an editor off a cliff!

I do have over 15 yrs worth of shooting M shows off and on to at least make it somewhat interesting when words would fail 😉

So you don’t like the lyrics to Nortre Dame? Ya think Moz is crazy and xenophobic? How’s that all working out right now for ya, France? 🤗 Children stabbed at a park by a third-world migrant. Silence. Migrant with a wrap sheet miles long is shot for not obeying the police… France burns. You’re all so full of sh*t. Viva Moz. Viva western culture.

It's strange how he never sings songs themed around the locations he's playing. He didn't do I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris in Paris but he did it in Strasbourg. It'd be funny if he sang Israel in Portsmouth.

Watch him play "Mexico" in Leeds.

Ahhhh, I did see that thread. I am cautiously optimistic, but can’t help but worry it’s all a bit wishful thinking. Be curious to see if Juan and Brendan are both on board for those gigs which could further complicate things.

Even if there is little variation in the set list for those shows, the majority of the fans will still be treated to many songs they haven’t heard before (or in a long while). It’s mainly the rest of us in the US and UK that are champing for new stuff as we’ve been spoiled by a plethora of gigs in recent times. Time will tell.
Yes, this. People are just spoiled in the UK and US with all the shows they get.

Maybe it's not a great idea either for people to watch so many shows on YouTube if then they're going to complain about the setlist being repetitive.

More or less what I expected it to be about.
Hope the music is better. Isn’t this a song written by Alain?

Edit: just checked it and it is indeed a composition of Alain’s hand.
Yikes. Can you imagine the excitement of Alain, after being out in the wilderness for so long, comes back and gives Morrissey some new music and hears these lyrics over the top? :squiffy:

I find it nuts he shelves wonderful songs like Once Upon a Woman's Body, Blue Eyed Dreamer, I Couldn't Understand Why People Laugh, and keeps... this... song. I like the beat of it, and that's about it

Heck, I even agree it is kind of fishy about Notre Dame fire, with it being possibly intentional lit (not by Muslims, I think it's likely the government, they want to destroy all historic culture and promote the next new shiny thing).. I was hoping this song would be different somehow though

Just beating the same few lyrics over and over is kind of lame. If it ever gets an official release I'll probably listen to it once or twice for the beat but skip it afterwards
It is the most perplexing thing right… amazing songs sitting exclusively on YouTube or leaks, yet this drivel is played at shows and meant to make us excited for a new album…

It wouldn't surprise me if Gustav asked to see the set list for the upcoming tours and said no thanks, I'm sick of playing the same old songs.

I have a wish: that Moz is inclined to write more poetry, I don't want to listen to protest lyrics anymore and I don't want to listen to songs related to politics, I want Moz to write more romantic or life things, the things that happen to all of us. Personally, politics has me fed up. I don't listen to the news anymore, .... They tell you what they want. They manipulate us. I want my singer to make me think about other things. Moz I want you to be inspired by other topics !! I love Moz the poet!!!!!!Mozuchissss tus mejores letras aún no surgieron ,tu yo superior te guiará para que escribas como nunca jamas has escrito !!!! 🥹 🥹🥹🥹❤️

About the new song, I'd have to listen to it more, but thus far it leaves me a little underwhelmed. The lyrics seem a bit heavy handed and repetitive, and I've never been too fond of protest songs to begin with.

While Notre Dame burning was huge news here as it happened, then it disappeared from the news and I've no idea if the cause of the fire has been definitely established, so no idea if there's any validity to the theory the song supports.

It wouldn't surprise me if Gustav asked to see the set list for the upcoming tours and said no thanks, I'm sick of playing the same old songs.
Lol zero chance of that.

About the new song, I'd have to listen to it more, but thus far it leaves me a little underwhelmed. The lyrics seem a bit heavy handed and repetitive, and I've never been too fond of protest songs to begin with.

While Notre Dame burning was huge news here as it happened, then it disappeared from the news and I've no idea if the cause of the fire has been definitely established, so no idea if there's any validity to the theory the song supports.

Lol zero chance of that.
was a joke

None. There was no evidence of arson and it was ruled an accident. Blaming terrorists is a conspiracy theory peddled by the tin-foil hat brigade.
https://www.connexionfrance.com/art...-date-confirmed-on-second-anniversary-of-fire

Back
Top Bottom