best music video ever? Lady Gaga and Beyonce - Telephone

I had a painting teacher once that was always saying "That's not my personal taste", but she was full of shit.

Aww,she's so sweet

[youtube]IJ3-w3fspG4&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]DenwCrx-vd8&feature=related[/youtube]

her finest performance yet ?
[youtube]5caXbuZEY9Q&feature=related[/youtube]

As we've just shown. Nothing is beyond criticism. If it was made and someone paid attention to it, it has an effect.

Well, yeah. I know. But like I told 5am, it's just noises geeks make to pass the time. :lbf:

If Lady Gaga is a bottle of Coke on the shelf, she is about Coke as a brand and an icon, and the fact that people have allegiances to brands. And although the message is not new to those of us who are skeptical and afraid of the effects of our purely consumerist culture, that's what Lady Gaga's overall message seems to be. Unless I'm just giving her and her producers too much credit.

See, this is the crux of the discussion, in my view. You understand brands and brand loyalty. You understand "consumerist culture". As a pop artist Lady GaGa relies on your knowledge of these things. She counts on it. This is what differentiates her from Madonna, who had to popularize these ideas in order to take credit for them. GaGa knows that you see right through her. This is her "transparent" raison d'etre. You are defenseless against her onslaught. You can choose not to buy it, you can choose to mock it, but you can't utter a single reasonable word against it. There is no objection to her music that can't be overturned-- and overturned by counterpoints you would volunteer even before she opened her mouth.

You could say she's a sell out. But you know the notion of "sell out" is an anachronism.

You could call her a commodity. But you know that pop has always been a commodity.

You could call her a prostitute. But you know that pop stars have always been prostitutes of one kind or another.

You could call her unoriginal. But you know that originality hasn't been the litmus test for art in decades.

You could call her a shrewd businesswoman selling a brand. But you know that she's also a self-empowering woman.

You could call her a self-empowering woman. But you know that she's also a shrewd businesswoman selling a brand.

See what I mean? You already know the script. She knows you know the script. To attack Lady GaGa is to attack your own tightly-held ideology. Contra GaGa, contra omnes.

P.S. Ironic that Bill had a Diet Pepsi, in light of the infamous quote (via Eddie Murphy) of Richard Pryor's: "Tell Bill I said have a Coke and a smile and shut the f*** up". :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Da. ;)

Ok, and back to the Lady. This was a comment posted to one of her Youtube vids: "shes soooo into it! i love it and wish i had something that i was that passionate about! lol besides her! haha"

I added the emphasis. I don't know, I would have to learn more about her background and education and how she built her career before judging her completely. Because if she's slamming consumer culture by mocking it... she's my girl. However, I refuse to listen to her music. I'll read the lyrics, at most. ;)

Da. ;)

Ok, and back to the Lady. This was a comment posted to one of her Youtube vids: "shes soooo into it! i love it and wish i had something that i was that passionate about! lol besides her! haha"

I added the emphasis. I don't know, I would have to learn more about her background and education and how she built her career before judging her completely. Because if she's slamming consumer culture by mocking it... she's my girl. However, I refuse to listen to her music. I'll read the lyrics, at most. ;)

Preggers, it doesn't matter. She will have you hooked the moment you stop asking if she's slamming consumer culture or trying to be genuine and instead realize the question is irrelevant! She is waiting for you to get there, even now-- a very, very glamorous spider sitting in the middle of a very, very sticky web. :rolleyes:

See what I mean? You already know the script. She knows you know the script. To attack Lady GaGa is to attack your own tightly-held ideology. Contra GaGa, contra omnes.

SO she's making an obvious point in an overblown, cartoonish way. I guess the question is whether her audience will get the glaringly obvious point? If they do, what happens? And if they don't, it just reinforces her point.

BUT... you've done a wonderful thing for me today. I was in search of a piece of art or culture, a rhetorical act of any kind, to analyze for a paper, and you've just made me see what a brilliant paper Lady Gaga will make. And so easy to write! Because I've already written half of it today! This will ensure my admission to graduate school, for certain. :D

Preggers, it doesn't matter. She will have you hooked the moment you stop asking if she's slamming consumer culture or trying to be genuine and instead realize it just doesn't matter! :rolleyes:

Wormy, it really doesn't matter because I'm not buying what she's selling. I don't listen to her music and don't intend to. I'm not downloading anything. Girlfriend is preaching to the choir in me, anyway. I'm just sitting back and watching.

I guess the question is whether her audience will get the glaringly obvious point? If they do, what happens?

There are always consumers who buy music uncritically. I think the unspoken assumption here is that Lady GaGa's value is only measured by people who bother to think about this stuff. If you ask if a music video is the greatest ever you are tacitly asking people to put on their "critic" hats, even if only to say "yes" or "no". There will always be a large segment of people in the world who buy without bothering to ask what something means, or how it compares to others of its kind. I have no quarrel with these people. But if they want to start getting critical, even on a simple level, I say it's fair game to open up the subject. What I have to say won't cut into GaGa's profits by a penny nor affect anyone's enjoyment of her music. "We're just talking here".

BUT... you've done a wonderful thing for me today. I was in search of a piece of art or culture, a rhetorical act of any kind, to analyze for a paper, and you've just made me see what a brilliant paper Lady Gaga will make. And so easy to write! Because I've already written half of it today! This will ensure my admission to graduate school, for certain. :D

Don't thank me. Thank SoLow. What a boon to humanity!

GaGa will need you to hurry up and get into grad school so you can write fawning articles guaranteeing she gets the respect she so richly deserves once she hits middle age and needs some "prestigious" cultural backstoppage.

madonna-guy-ritchie.jpg

You'd better hurry. I'm sure Zizek's already on the case.

Last edited:
"We're just talking here".

Yes, we are good at running our mouths. Fingers. Whatever.

Don't thank me. Thank SoLow. What a boon to humanity!

The blessings Solow has brought me are immeasurable.

GaGa will need you to hurry up and get into grad school so you can write fawning articles guaranteeing she gets the respect she so richly deserves once she hits middle age and needs some "prestigious" cultural backstoppage.

Nah. Screw her. I said, "she's making an obvious point in a cartoonish way." I'm gonna take my A and run. I have bigger fish to fry.

Nah. Screw her. I said, "she's making an obvious point in a cartoonish way." I'm gonna take my A and run. I have bigger fish to fry.

Is it obvious?

If you have a milkshake, and I say I'm going to drink your milkshake, and then I push my straw across the room, plop it in your milkshake, and then drink it-- knowing that you know what I'm doing, counting on you to enjoy watching me do it-- following which I celebrate and taunt you by saying "I drank your milkshake", do you not find this...interesting? Do you not find this...symptomatic?

83010063.jpg

IMHO
Lady Gar Gar is just a here today gone tomorrow fad.

No substance or longevity included. It's the thing to like at the moment, but will not last.
All the kids 'love' her, parents too. She outrages nobody, shocks nobody but entertains many, today. Which is fine if you like that sort of thing.

Anybody who wears a hat with a big telephone on it is trying much too hard to be noticed. And as for the important content of her 'art', the lyrics... they are not special, not funny, not clever, not revolutionary, not heart-felt bleeding craving cries of life.

The interview I watched (Jonathan Ross, a couple of weeks ago) was a clear demonstration of somebody whose 'style' outshines their substance by a thousand percent.
I truly wanted her to say something funny, interesting, witty, shocking or deep, but I knew she wouldn't. She didn't.

To sum up my 'umble opinion... I think she is this year's model. A marketing concept that has somehow gained a touch of credibility.
Not for me.
I like the stuff I like to have something to say, or to demand my attention and be worthy of it when I turn to face it.

Lady Gar Gar? no ta.

Last edited:
Is it obvious?

If you have a milkshake, and I say I'm going to drink your milkshake, and then I push my straw across the room, plop it in your milkshake, and then drink it-- knowing that you know what I'm doing, counting on you to enjoy watching me do it-- following which I celebrate and taunt you by saying "I drank your milkshake", do you not find this...interesting? Do you not find this...symptomatic?

83010063.jpg

I'm hoping you've posted a picture of Daniel Day Lewis, and not your... milkshake machine.

Last edited:
I put my threads in the pigsty so they don't have to be moved there later. :thumb:

I put my threads in the pigsty so they don't have to be moved there later. :thumb:

That's a good idea.I suggest everyone just posts ALL threads in here from now.
(Kewpie's been a bit too quiet,she needs the work)

Gaga is goo goo

Back
Top Bottom