What do we want Years Of Refusal to sound like?

Sounds like this guy from Manchester who put some records out in the 80s with some band... if only I could remember his name.. :confused::confused::confused:

Quite possibly, but Morrissey could walk the walk AND talk to talk. Axl Rose is to busy being a :guitar:star than making anything artistically credible.

(To be fair, the extent of Mozzer's rudeness was making a snide comment at someone who he wasn't fond of. Axl Rose has been known to physically assault fans who take his picture...)

Quite possibly, but Morrissey could walk the walk AND talk to talk. Axl Rose is to busy being a :guitar:star than making anything artistically credible.

(To be fair, the extent of Mozzer's rudeness was making a snide comment at someone who he wasn't fond of. Axl Rose has been known to physically assault fans who take his picture...)

AFD is just as 'artistically credible' as anything else the low culture of pop music has produced.

Even if the real talent in the band was Izzy Stradlin.

Axl Rose...wow, brings back happy memories. Ah, 1992...makes me want to break out my acid wash jeans with the torn knees!

Police and niggers
That's right
Get out of my way
Don't need to buy none of your
Goldchains today
I don't need no bracelets
Clamped in front of my back
Just need my ticket till then
Won't you cut me some slack

Immigrants and f*****s
They make no sense to me
They come to our country
And think they'll do as they please
Like start some mini Iran
Or spread some f***ing disease
They talk so many goddamn ways
It's all greek to me​

All an ironic attempt at creating a "character" in a pop song, not his actual views? Well:

In his final public comments about "One in a Million" in 1992, Rose stated, "It was a way for me to express my anger at how vulnerable I felt in certain situations that had gone down in my life. It's not a song I would write now."​

And did the other members dig the, um, clever use of language to lampoon racists and homophobes?

Before the release of Lies the other members of the band tried in vain to make Rose drop the track from the record. Fellow GN'R member, Slash, whose mother is black, noted that he did not condone the song but did not condemn his bandmate, commenting in a 1991 interview with Rolling Stone: "When Axl first came up with the song and really wanted to do it, I said I didn't think it was very cool...​

"Not very cool"-- rock on dude! I'm so glad I don't have to care about any of this nonsense. After all, pop music = pop music = pop music. :guitar:

Axl Rose...wow, brings back happy memories. Ah, 1992...makes me want to break out my acid wash jeans with the torn knees!

Police and niggers
That's right
Get out of my way
Don't need to buy none of your
Goldchains today
I don't need no bracelets
Clamped in front of my back
Just need my ticket till then
Won't you cut me some slack

Immigrants and f*****s
They make no sense to me
They come to our country
And think they'll do as they please
Like start some mini Iran
Or spread some f***ing disease
They talk so many goddamn ways
It's all greek to me​

All an ironic attempt at creating a "character" in a pop song, not his actual views? Well:

In his final public comments about "One in a Million" in 1992, Rose stated, "It was a way for me to express my anger at how vulnerable I felt in certain situations that had gone down in my life. It's not a song I would write now."​

And did the other members dig the, um, clever use of language to lampoon racists and homophobes?

Before the release of Lies the other members of the band tried in vain to make Rose drop the track from the record. Fellow GN'R member, Slash, whose mother is black, noted that he did not condone the song but did not condemn his bandmate, commenting in a 1991 interview with Rolling Stone: "When Axl first came up with the song and really wanted to do it, I said I didn't think it was very cool...​

"Not very cool"-- rock on dude! I'm so glad I don't have to care about any of this nonsense. After all, pop music = pop music = pop music. :guitar:

Without reading through the whole thread, was a consensus reached that Years of Refusal should sound like Chinese Democracy?

I think a sound similar to that on Richard Hawleys 'Coles Corner' would work miracles for Morrissey. Or maybe even a Phil Spector-esque sound - Morrissey in The Ronettes.

I want his voice, I want his tunes. That's all I want from our man.

Now that I said that; one of my ever favourite Morrissey tracks is Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning from Vauxhal and I, just because it sounds so different to anything he does, but at the same time is totally Morrissey. A turn in that direction would be really cool.

It seems like he is going to rock his hips away though... That's also good.

Looking forward to the new record, I hope we'll get it in September.

Bona Drag (Whore In Retirement)

Oh!! And I love the lads but... What about Arcade Fire as a backing band? That would be just great, their instrumentation and energy, their vision, could work so well with The Moz... I think.

Oh!! And I love the lads but... What about Arcade Fire as a backing band? That would be just great, their instrumentation and energy, their vision, could work so well with The Moz... I think.

That would work very well I think. Their interesting instrumentation is exactly what Morrissey needs.

This will cause a big groan but I'd love him to write with Alain again.

I think a sound similar to that on Richard Hawleys 'Coles Corner' would work miracles for Morrissey. Or maybe even a Phil Spector-esque sound - Morrissey in The Ronettes.

Yeah, I believe the Richard Hawley-type sound would suit Moz just fine.
As a record Coles Corner has a great atmosphere, altough I think Lady's Bridge is Richard's finest album to date. I know this will be a little of the topic, but there's something very similar about Morrissey and Hawley. Of course Richard can't be compared to Morrissey when it comes to lyrics and all, but they are both very tragic characters. Romantic and lonely. Something to do with being english I suppose. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom