Years of Refusal postponed

Tormented

Remarkably Dressed
The forthcoming new album by Morrissey has had its release postponed until 2009.

The record, titled 'Years Of Refusal', had originally been slated for a September release.

However, a spokesperson for the former Smiths singer told Billboard that it will now be released in early 2009.

The spokesperson did not elaborate on why the album, the follow-up to 2006's 'Ringleader Of The Tormentors', had been put back.

The album, which sees Jerry Finn take production duties and will feature 12 songs, will be the first album for Morrissey's new record label, Polydor.

Damn and blast!

It's a good job we're all patient by nature...

Maybe there are new songs to be added?

The forthcoming new album by Morrissey has had its release postponed until 2009.

The record, titled 'Years Of Refusal', had originally been slated for a September release.

However, a spokesperson for the former Smiths singer told Billboard that it will now be released in early 2009.

The spokesperson did not elaborate on why the album, the follow-up to 2006's 'Ringleader Of The Tormentors', had been put back.

The album, which sees Jerry Finn take production duties and will feature 12 songs, will be the first album for Morrissey's new record label, Polydor.

Ploydor has he changed his record deal? I'm confused. Does this mean HMV were right with january?

it's unsubstantiated, of course, but here's a comment from the main board;

'the US wing of Universal found it so poor that they declined to release it in North America. which would've been a bit embarrassing - not to mention a serious nightmare to US fans, forced to buy imported UK/European copies (what with the weak dollar / strong pound & euro etc).
so now the Morrissey camp have a few months to come up with a v2.0 of the album. otherwise both parties (M and Universal) will end up with egg on their faces.'

who knows why it's been put back. I wouldn't have thought Moz would sign a deal which would allow a record company to tell him the songs aren't up to scratch, and demand a rethink.
but if 'that's how people grow up' really was deemed worthy of a place on the new album, it doesn't give grounds for optimism...

it's unsubstantiated, of course, but here's a comment from the main board;

'the US wing of Universal found it so poor that they declined to release it in North America. which would've been a bit embarrassing - not to mention a serious nightmare to US fans, forced to buy imported UK/European copies (what with the weak dollar / strong pound & euro etc).
so now the Morrissey camp have a few months to come up with a v2.0 of the album. otherwise both parties (M and Universal) will end up with egg on their faces.'

who knows why it's been put back. I wouldn't have thought Moz would sign a deal which would allow a record company to tell him the songs aren't up to scratch, and demand a rethink.
but if 'that's how people grow up' really was deemed worthy of a place on the new album, it doesn't give grounds for optimism...

actually it would be pretty hard to believe this.
the consensus seems to be that 'THPGU' aside, most of the new songs are a considerable improvement on the Ringleader stuff especially when you consider gems like My Dearest Love.

I think Morrissey needs to reduce his media profile for a few months and return fresh and invigorated with a cracking new upbeat single in January. Paris is a lovely, tuneful reflective song but not really lead-off single material...

Judging by some of the recent dramas I would think Moz is on pretty thin ice with the record label and he'd certainly be advised to do what they are asking.

If something is considered so bad that your own record label is reluctant to release it you need to be worried.
That's How People Grow Up was considered album worthy, apparently we should be worried too.

I personally find Something Is Squeezing My Skull and Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed to be excellent songs that I really love live.
However Throwing My Arms Around Paris and One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell seem quite weak to me. They're ok, but nothing stunning.

Also the B-sides of late (except My Dearest Love) have been pretty poor.

Lets hope he takes the criticism and goes away and makes an amazing album. And he wants to have a moody and recklessly release anything sub-standard then hopefully people will have the courage to tell him as much.

I'm going to hold out hope that this is all rumour and we get an amazing new album out in September.
If that doesn't happen there need to be a rethink.

Judging by some of the recent dramas I would think Moz is on pretty thin ice with the record label and he'd certainly be advised to do what they are asking.

If something is considered so bad that your own record label is reluctant to release it you need to be worried.
That's How People Grow Up was considered album worthy, apparently we should be worried too.

I personally find Something Is Squeezing My Skull and Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed to be excellent songs that I really love live.
However Throwing My Arms Around Paris and One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell seem quite weak to me. They're ok, but nothing stunning.

Also the B-sides of late (except My Dearest Love) have been pretty poor.

Lets hope he takes the criticism and goes away and makes an amazing album. And he wants to have a moody and recklessly release anything sub-standard then hopefully people will have the courage to tell him as much.

I'm going to hold out hope that this is all rumour and we get an amazing new album out in September.
If that doesn't happen there need to be a rethink.

It looks like the album's postponement is no longer a rumour as it's been confirmed by his spokesperson (usually a pretty reliable action). It was a rumour when we saw the release date on HMV website.
The uncertainty now is why it's been put back. If it's the quality of the songs I wouldn't have thought they'd expect a whole new batch to be written and recorded in a few months.
I expect it has something to do with Jerry Finn's illness as well as the ludicrous number of new albums by huge 'indie' acts coming out in the autumn (Oasis, Keane, Kaiser Chiefs, Cure, U2, Razorlite, Killers stc).

It looks like the album's postponement is no longer a rumour as it's been confirmed by his spokesperson (usually a pretty reliable action). It was a rumour when we saw the release date on HMV website.
The uncertainty now is why it's been put back. If it's the quality of the songs I wouldn't have thought they'd expect a whole new batch to be written and recorded in a few months.
I expect it has something to do with Jerry Finn's illness as well as the ludicrous number of new albums by huge 'indie' acts coming out in the autumn (Oasis, Keane, Kaiser Chiefs, Cure, U2, Razorlite, Killers stc).

Still, shows a distinct lack of confidence in the product. Which is worrying.

where was this from? It was on the main page from the 2nd. Someone had noticed the date change on hmv web site.

I wouldn't believe anything some Anonymous poster put on the main forum. It's so full of trolls you can't even believe the setlists that are posted.

I think it's probably more to do with Jerry Finn's illness plus the fact that quite a few high profile artists are releasing in September so the record company probably thought that Morrissey's release would get lost in the pile.

the lie from the front page sounds like a lie, about "not good enough", because he's obviously got an audience and had a successful tour. Maybe Greatest Hits didn't sell what they hoped but a new record would do better I think, which is rare. I mean, I'm sure that most people, when they release a greatest hits, get a hit record that sells more than their average, but with Morrissey, we all had all the songs, and I don't think that he's the kind of artist that very many casual music fans buy, at least in the US. You're either a fan or not. I don't know anyone that likes his hits and doesn't care for the CD's.

No, I blame this board for saying that "that's how people grow up" should not be on the record. He's removed it, and he's having to completely rethink.

If i win, can I have one of your icey things?

Shoot, you can have one regardless, simply cos no one, no matter how decidedly evil and conniving and album-birthday-stealing-ey they may be, should be kept from the pure awesome that is ALEXANDER THE GRAPE! :guitar:

also, WE MEET AT DAWN!

dueljh3.png

Back
Top Bottom