What would you like the first single to be off Years of Refusal?

Which song would you like to be the first single off Years of Refusal?

• Total voters
I like One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell, but we've already been spoiled by hearing it. I think the new album needs to lead off with a new song. Save the ones we have heard for maybe the third single, and put some fantastic song that should have been the lead single but never made the album on the b-side, to get us to buy it.

I haven't heard a bad song since after the release of Ringleaders though. There are a couple on that one that I don't love. All the things since have been pretty great in my opinion.

I hope action man has a spy movie type of riff.

I hope action man has a spy movie type of riff.

ala You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side. :cool:

Honestly, when I read the title I hear "Secret Agent Man". :D

I love "I'm throwing my arms around Paris" but it doesn't seem like a single song.
I think Something is squeezing my skull would be a good single.
I would prefer it not to be one we have already heard , so it gives a just a wee bit more of a suprise when the album comes out.

I know that his song title's often have no immediate link to the content of the song but what could he be singing about in a song called Action Man?
Is he going to be poking fun at an "action man" - someone who considers themselves adventureous? Or is it likely to be someone who looks like an action-man, a plastic doll?
Or is it going to be about someone who Moz thinks is a man of action and is respected for it?
knowing Moz probably all three....

maybe a character like out of southpaw or vauxhall
you know these "dagenham dave, springheeled jim"

I would have thought so, definately.
He'll probably be criticising him.
hmm i never saw these songs as a critic on these men rather an "envy" of these "head in the clouds,"score-ing" types of men

i cant spot the interviewquote right now but he did talk about that he envied these people who live that way ..and that he cant because he is too contolled...

Well, it looks like 'Something is Squeezing' is by far the most popular of the songs we've heard, with Paris virtually the least popular in terms of suitability as first single.
However, more of us would prefer a new song that we've yet to here. I think there's about 10 or so. Surely, among those, there's at least one, suitably brilliant, upbeat song worthy of lead-off single status?
Moz/record company; take heed!

bump :D

My choice is Skull, but hoping for a new track which hasn't been heard yet.

I'm still with Paris (with You Say You Don't Love Me as a b-side :D), the past 6 singles have all been loud-ish, rock tracks and I really think he needs a contrast; plus there's the fact it's a sweet song.

Am I repeating myself? Edit: Yes, sort of. :p

whatever people want, he will do the opposite!
I doubt he'd do Mama as a single, it's too lovely.

whatever people want, he will do the opposite!QUOTE]

yeah, and then he'll blame the record company, radio stations and journalists when it fails to reach number 1!

amazed that more people think he should stick with 'Skull' rather than an unknown song. is it really that good? will have to have another listen on You Tube...

amazed that more people think he should stick with 'Skull' rather than an unknown song. is it really that good? will have to have another listen on You Tube...

It's funny, I just can't shake Skull. I haven't been listening to so much Moz recently (save My Dearest Love), but Skull just rattles around in there - it's entirely appropriate for these stressful times, and there is something incredibly catchy about it. It's funny, and sad, and it resonates.

That vocal jump (sounds close to an octave) is ambitious, but the rest of it is pleasing enough.

If he could just come up with a great video for it - something clever and kinda tragic, he would have a very interesting single on his hands. I don't know if it would chart, but it may have enough novelty to get people's attention.

oh dear. seems like our request has (frankly not surprisingly) fallen on deaf ears. practically our least favourite choice of song is gonna be the lead single.
I think this is fairly bad news. we (or I at least) wanted a brilliant, sharp upbeat, melodic song to lead the way.
'Paris' isn't a bad song; musically very pleasant and better than most of the Ringleader singles, but I would've hoped the quality of the new material would relegate Paris to 'album track' status, not the big lead-off single.
hmm...

just to add, it's tuneful enough to get decent airplay on Radio 2.
I don't expect Absolute Virgin will play it, and Xfm will only give it a few token plays so as to stay onside with the Morrissey camp.
will probably struggle to go top 10, which would make the album unlikely to top the charts...

Tags
new album
Back
Top Bottom