New NME Morrissey interview???

Last Part

DSC_0003.jpg

D:

WTF?! He said nothing racist at all! What is WRONG with the NME?

I think Morrissey came off great! I agree with everything he said and there's not a racist bone in my body.

Is there some weird definition of racism in England that I'm unaware of? I honestly see nothing wrong in his words. Really, his restraint was remarkable. He was badgered by these idiots and he responded with grace.

Thanks very much for posting these.

No probs,was all a bit rushed hence the poor quality.
If there's any bits people can't read,let me know and I'll do another

Happy reading! ?

Again the good old NME, try to create a story out of nothing. I for one feel ashamed of an education system in this country that can produce writers like the ones associated with this article.

The NME, the knight in shining armour of the teenage people (they supported music against racism don't you know)... Just f**k off back to your little middle class existance and keep pretending to understand what is actually going on out their in Britain. The NME is the best example of actually what IS wrong with Britain today.

Seems like the NME could as easily have gone with :
"Morrissey supports NME's Love Music Hate Racism Campaign"

Obviously,there's no racism here but Moz does seem to hanker for another time which is long gone.Things are changing and fast with regards the movement of people.It's just a fact and will increase over the next few years/decades.

I,for one,do find borders, frontiers and laws on movement of people immoral.
Wait till Africans start moving north in huge numbers !
The 21st century is going to be a turbulent one, i fear

Thanks snapyou.

I am not surprised at all that Morrissey sounds calm, reasonable, and thoughtful about the same issues that turn NME writers into idiots. That was the worst article I've ever read in the NME (and probably anywhere else for that matter). My head is still spinning from the last few paragraphs.

This should be the last straw for Morrissey: no more NME, under any circumstances.

What kind of a question is "if you were an Asian Morrissey fan...??" please ffs.
Talk about fanning the flames... and a naive representation.
In this context the NME are trying to refer I believe to the British Asian community, specifically Muslims, as the NME is primarily a British magazine.

I think you'll find a lot of "Asians" - as the NME refers to a whole plethora of different people (its not really that far removed from the "coloureds" is it?) - who reside in this country are fed up with immigration and feel that there should be some form of limitation.

One wonders what the NME's stance on immigration is?
'Cos they certainly don't give a reasoned argument pro or against. W***ers

I'm infuriated by the NME's oh so godly stance when they use language which I personally find quite offensive.

Thanks for scanning btw

I just read Merck's statement and I can't help feeling annoyed. This statement just further emphasizes to me how alienated I've become with modern Morrissey. Yes, I agree that the NME is taking sick delight in trying to skewer Moz, but if Morrissey didn't say these things in the first place they'd have no ammo.

I completely understand what Morrissey is saying about cultural diversity diluting the England of his youth, and I don't think there's anything wrong with having that opinion. It's no different than, for example, my friends bemoaning the influx of yuppies ruining Wicker Park in Chicago. We all have certain cultural niches that we hold dear that we hate to see change - whether it be beautiful old buildings torn down in the name of "progress," neighborhoods changed by a new demographic moving into the area, or strip malls proliferating endlessly and causing treasured Mom & Pop shops to go out of business. Morrissey is just very clumsy and careless in the way he expresses his dismay at the changing cultural landscape.

I just prefer the old Morrissey who would have just put out a witty statement and laughed the whole thing off. This new modern Morrissey with his team of lawyers ready to attack every possible "defamation" is disheartening to me. Imagine if this had been the Morrissey of The Smiths? He would have sued The Sun for child molesting allegations and claims that "Suffer The Children" were pro-Hindley, Rolling Stone for saying that he said he was gay, Melody Maker for suggesting "Panic" was racist, Nick Kent for printing the "he just needs a good humping" comment that Johnny made, NME for the Finsbury Park debacle, and on and on and on and on...

As far as I'm concerned, when you make a career out of controversy, you have to live with the consequences. Once upon a time he would have said something funny like, "If someone from the the Daily Mail comes along and shoots me, that's the way it has to be. I'll die defending what I say." I miss those days when he seemed just so above all the silly controversy, instead of sucked down into it.

Oh well, guess I should get to work...

As far as I'm concerned, when you make a career out of controversy, you have to live with the consequences. Once upon a time he would have said something funny like, "If someone from the the Daily Mail comes along and shoots me, that's the way it has to be. I'll die defending what I say." I miss those days when he seemed just so above all the silly controversy, instead of sucked down into it.

Oh well, guess I should get to work...

I hear what you're saying, but this is an unusual case. When the writer of the article declines to be listed as the sole author, and the absurd byline "Words by NME" is used, something is clearly not right. As I recall, even the Finsbury Park articles in 1992 were punctuated with question marks rather than exclamation points, so to speak. The Sun's interpretation of the early Smiths work was just that, an interpretation of admittedly ambiguous lyrics. Such things can be ignored easily.

The latest NME article warrants legal action, in my opinion, because of the final section containing the NME's editorial position. Basically it paints Morrissey in the worst light possible because the editors are implying a malicious syllogism: "Categorically we don't support racists. We don't support Morrissey's views". The third part is unstated but clear: Morrissey is a racist. They crossed the line. They deserve whatever legal action is coming their way and I don't fault Morrissey one bit.

I must say though, the use of the word "flood" when speaking about immigration, is not the wisset thing Moz has said..... however I doubt the lead and follow-up question was worded in such a way until it went to editorial.

"to make YOUR very British music..."

"Would you close the GATES"

The latest NME article warrants legal action, in my opinion, because of the final section containing the NME's editorial position. Basically it paints Morrissey in the worst light possible because the editors are implying a malicious syllogism: "Categorically we don't support racists. We don't support Morrissey's views". The third part is unstated but clear: Morrissey is a racist. They crossed the line. They deserve whatever legal action is coming their way and I don't fault Morrissey one bit.

Yeah, I just read the article and I do see that point too... Oh, the moral dilemmas of the Morrissey fan!!

Alrighty then.

I'm definitely not buying a copy now. I'll go to Borders and sit and read it and look at the pretty pictures (someone lied, he is wearing jeans) while listening to Moz on my iPod, and then I'll stick it back on the shelf upside down and go home and listen to some more Moz.

Seriously, you can tell they departed from reality with the question suggesting he sounded like a Tory. His apparent response to that statement is clearly not what he would have said. Not only does it not match, I don't think he'd calmly go on making the point he was making if he'd just been called a Tory.

This is actually brilliant. NME have made themselves look like idiots. They'll sell lots of magazines. Morrissey's comments were blown out of all proportion, which anyone with a brain can see. He comes off looking the victim- or at least the victim of an attempted crime. I want to go buy all his albums in support, but I already have them all. There must be some b-side I don't have, let me go check...

Back
Top Bottom