NME:

"We're not in the mood to play into grey areas"

Morons.

NME:

"There is obviously a need for debate around taboo issues like immigration."

NME:

"We're not in the mood to play into grey areas"

Morons.

It's all so black and white,isn't it? ;)

NME had only one objective with this article:

SELL MORE MAGS

The couldnt give a toss either way about immigration. I'll bet all the money in my pocket (£2.34) they had a board meeting discussing the fact that Morrissey has said something that isnt particularly politically correct and thought - right heres something to hang our hat on - lets go for it. All they want to do is generate publicity and controversy in the hope that more people buy the mag. Like a mug i did.

I kinda' bristle at the author's implying there are "taboo" topics, like immigration. It's this kind of assertion that has people believing that religion and its role (or lack thereof) in the earth's biological development are untouchables--immune to the scrutiny we might logically and reasonably give to any other topic--let alone ones with so much influence on world matters.

Interesting to see that there's barely a mass debate on this on the NME's forum.A few random comments and that's about it.
"What's everyone's favourite Keane song?" seems to be the hot topic at the moment.

Are you suggesting the British cultural identity is therefore something that stands in opposition to the things you list above?

You haven't really listed what the precious British cultural identity is...

Are you suggesting that because Bluebirds can't define British culture to your satisfaction it proves that the whole concept of a monolithic British culture is therefore mistaken?

I studied English literature in school. One of the first things you learn is that the definition of "English literature" stretches far and wide. Being American, I also understand that what we call a "national culture" is usually a crude, ideologically-driven mask for a loose, heterogeneous collection of people. I'm sure that's true of England as well. But even though the definition stretches, it holds at a certain point. It is ridiculous to suggest that there is not a cultural identity in England distinct from, say, Sweden or Iran. Just last week I was reading a left-leaning article about immigration in England with a Londoner of Pakistani descent proudly telling the journalist that everything in his community in England is very English: "We have mosques, but, you know, they are English mosques".

The funny part is, if we were talking about American influences in foreign capitals, everyone would instantly and overwhelmingly side with the native culture. Open a McDonald's outside Buckingham Palace, put a Starbucks in Westminster Abbey, transform Oxford into a Disneyland theme park, sell Manchester United to Oprah Winfrey-- I think millions of people might mysteriously conjure up an idea of what English culture is.

Are you suggesting that because Bluebirds can't define British culture to your satisfaction it proves that the whole concept of a monolithic British culture is therefore mistaken?

I studied English literature in school. One of the first things you learn is that the definition of "English literature" stretches far and wide. Being American, I also understand that what we call a "national culture" is usually a crude, ideologically-driven mask for a loose, heterogeneous collection of people. I'm sure that's true of England as well. But even though the definition stretches, it holds at a certain point. It is ridiculous to suggest that there is not a cultural identity in England distinct from, say, Sweden or Iran. Just last week I was reading a left-leaning article about immigration in England with a Londoner of Pakistani descent proudly telling the journalist that everything in his community in England is very English: "We have mosques, but, you know, they are English mosques".

The funny part is, if we were talking about American influences in foreign capitals, everyone would instantly and overwhelmingly side with the native culture. Open a McDonald's outside Buckingham Palace, put a Starbucks in Westminster Abbey, transform Oxford into a Disneyland theme park, sell Manchester United to Oprah Winfrey-- I think millions of people might mysteriously conjure up an idea of what English culture is.

I really don't know the answer to this. Standing in long queues, not complaining, mustn't grumble, rain, Fish 'n' chips, warm beer, trolley-buses, Wensleydale, Blackpool Tower, deckchairs, Carry-On, understated innuendo, coppers on the beat, maypoles, misty moors, a talent for coming second, sneaking in the cinema to see an 'X', smoking in pubs, Marmite, Betty's Tea Rooms...

Peter

Standing in long queues, not complaining, mustn't grumble, rain, Fish 'n' chips, warm beer, trolley-buses, Wensleydale, Blackpool Tower, deckchairs, Carry-On, understated innuendo, coppers on the beat, maypoles, misty moors, a talent for coming second, sneaking in the cinema to see an 'X', smoking in pubs, Marmite, Betty's Tea Rooms...

I love all those things (apart from the coppers), I think you have it spot on. *tears*

On the downside you have really made me crave fish and chips and a nice jam scone. :(

After reading the interview, I feel that it is just a grasp at sensationalism on NME's part...Towards the end of the interview, Moz said he had a feeling he would be "pillioried", and he was right...To discuss immigration in the way that Morrissey did isn't racism, and NME bringing their Love Music Hate Racism into it is just ludicrous, there are better ways to advertise it...
I'm not suprised Morrissey is angry with NME. He granted them an interview in good faith, and now, it's turning into a possible legal wrangle...
I wonder what letters the NME will print next week?

I really don't know the answer to this. Standing in long queues, not complaining, mustn't grumble, rain, Fish 'n' chips, warm beer, trolley-buses, Wensleydale, Blackpool Tower, deckchairs, Carry-On, understated innuendo, coppers on the beat, maypoles, misty moors, a talent for coming second, sneaking in the cinema to see an 'X', smoking in pubs, Marmite, Betty's Tea Rooms...

Peter

Or: crisps, supermarkets full of prepackaged crap,cars everywhere,reality tv,crisps,fat people,lazy people,no summers,no winters,crisps,house buying mania,gossip magazines ,home decorating fever,insular,xenophobic,"mockney",crisps,gossip tv
moan moan moan, buying a second home abroad, gossip tv news,dire football and,oh crisps!

Last edited:

I haven't heard an affirmative definition yet. Just suggestions of what British culture 'should stand against' - which isn't particularly unique to one culture.

I studied English literature in school. One of the first things you learn is that the definition of "English literature" stretches far and wide. Being American, I also understand that what we call a "national culture" is usually a crude, ideologically-driven mask for a loose, heterogeneous collection of people. I'm sure that's true of England as well.

Precisely.

But even though the definition stretches, it holds at a certain point. It is ridiculous to suggest that there is not a cultural identity in England distinct from, say, Sweden or Iran. Just last week I was reading a left-leaning article about immigration in England with a Londoner of Pakistani descent proudly telling the journalist that everything in his community in England is very English: "We have mosques, but, you know, they are English mosques".

The irony being that without the change that allowed those mosques to be built in England he wouldn't have been able to proudly applaud them. The same kind of change that changes a Curry House into a Tapas Bar, or an Irish pub into a swanky wine bar etc etc....

So what is this unique 'lost' British cultural identity?

Again - it seems you suggest English cultural identity only arises out of opposition. Is that it???

Or: crisps, supermarkets full of prepackaged crap,cars everywhere,reality tv,crisps,fat people,lazy people,no summers,no winters,crisps,house buying mania,home decorating fever,insular,xenophobic,Kate Nash,crisps,
moan moan moan, buying a second home abroad,dire football and,oh crisps!

Brilliant. Reality TV, prepackaged crap, cars everywhere - spot on.

Peter

P.S I don't mean that they are the lost things to pine for, but the new things to despise.

Brilliant. Reality TV, prepackaged crap, cars everywhere - spot on.

Peter

P.S I don't mean that they are the lost things to pine for, but the new things to despise.

I can't believe the amount of total crap in all 3 of my local supermarkets:Tesco,Sainsburys and Scotmid(the Scottish Co Op ,like an East German cornershop in the 50s):eek:

Rows and rows and rows of fizzy drinks,ready made meals and CRISPS!

Barely a fresh fruit or veg in sight. :mad:

Erm... sounds like America to me.

True, these are modern atrocities and are pan-global (for shame), I think Mr. Reynolds was asking for (apologies if I've got this wrong), for the defining features of the Britain not in days of yore, but as recently as 20 years ago. I think. In which case I'll stick with my list posted somewhere above here.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom