New Morrissey interview on Greek website LiFO (July 4, 2012)

Re: Morrisseys' new interview in greek website 4.7.2012

http://www.lifo.gr/mag/features/3314

I am not good is Greek-English translations but one question and its answer is of great interest.

Q:Why do you dislike so much morrissey-solo.com ?

A: I don't like the fact that a site using my name is clearly about the Smiths and not for Morrissey.
This site highlights negativism or even more,it is looking for it, a thing that annoys most of people I know.
So,it has become a vechicle for Morrissey haters and no one I know visits this site anymore.The owner claims
that this is an open forum but since everyone posts under the name "Anonymous" how can this be considered open?
The owner of this site approached my former manager last year,saying that all the negative stories would be ended,
if I would pay him 3000 dollars per month.I think this talks by itself.

(This translation is not good because it was made from english to greek and from greek to english,but this is the basic story anyway.)

I believe that his answer explains a lot of stuff going on here...

1242749315_bullshit_amplifier-detector.gif

Remember it's not negativity it's mearly the other side of the discussion.

Hi Billy, I know you are addressing Violeta, but I just wanted to say, it's not discussion in which the problem lies. It is the ways in which the opinion is written, or the obvious rant and/or constant growl of the poster. That's where the negativity starts. Of course we all have differing opinions - that's all fine and well - but why do people have to be so hateful and degrading to each other?

I dunno...that's my question.

There are two ways to give an opinion:

Ex. 1: I don't really care for Morrissey's new song. I don't think the melody is catchy enough and the lyrics don't really speak to me.

Ex. 2: That new Morrissey song is the worst shit I have even heard and anyone who likes it is a friggin retard.

It's all in the way it's worded that counts. One is offensive and negative and one is not. But it is up to each person on how they chose to express themselves.

There are two ways to give an opinion:

Ex. 1: I don't really care for Morrissey's new song. I don't think the melody is catchy enough and the lyrics don't really speak to me.

Ex. 2: That new Morrissey song is the worst shit I have even heard and anyone who likes it is a friggin retard.

It's all in the way it's worded that counts. One is offensive and negative and one is not. But it is up to each person on how they chose to express themselves.

Just like it is up to each person to define what is "offensive" and "negative" to them...not everyone here needs or wants to be regulated by the standards of a bunch of coddled whiners.

Certain threads remind me Penney Arcade. This is one of them.

dickwad2_det.jpg

Last edited:

But who defines what is 'offensive' and what isn't? What action should be taken, censorship?

For example, Morrissey said in 2007 about Madonna - "I wouldn't be surprised if she [Madonna] made that African boy into a coat and wore him ... for 15 minutes, and then threw it away." I don't think anyone here was offended but Madonna's rep apparently was and issued the statement, "In an attempt to trash Madonna, he revealed himself. What kind of a person could even call up such imagery and words?”

If you stand by your own rules Morrissey's statement shouldn't be allowed. I use the Morrissey example as a way to illustrate that he is often 'nasty' himself to others so it is a bit hypocritical to expect everyone here to be 'nice' to others also.

But who defines what is 'offensive' and what isn't?

Site operators and mods. Most forums I frequent have areas where civility is expected and enforced. They also have places where anything goes. Choosing to run the entire site with an "anything goes" policy is your prerogative but it certainly isn't a requirement of the interwebz.

The original interview in English:
http://www.lifo.gr/team/pop/31607

(Please no more google translations)

What makes you feel nostalgic?

---There is a certain grassy smell on warm days that catches me unawares
and stops me. It urges me to remember something from long ago, a certain irresponsibility …. days of friends without foes.

Sister,he is a poet.:)

But...

a) We obviously don't have to approve of everything Morrissey says or use him as a model for our own conduct (in this case, I think his comment was perfectly fair but, in principle, "I'm allowed to be as much or as little of a dick as Morrissey is" would be a stupid rule to live by).

b) Madonna is not a newbie on an Internet forum on which Morrissey is a veteran twat.

I think it's obvious to anyone who has glanced at this site that is suffers from too much of a laissez-faire style of moderation in terms of dealing with general obnoxiousness between users. This holds it back and makes it a less attractive community for people to join.

Site operators and mods. Most forums I frequent have areas where civility is expected and enforced. They also have places where anything goes. Choosing to run the entire site with an "anything goes" policy is your prerogative but it certainly isn't a requirement of the interwebz.

OK, that's how it has worked now for years. Some people are upset with the 'anything goes' policy, some appreciate it. Not everyone will ever be happy.

The original interview in English:
http://www.lifo.gr/team/pop/31607

(Please no more google translations)

What makes you feel nostalgic?

---There is a certain grassy smell on warm days that catches me unawares
and stops me. It urges me to remember something from long ago, a certain irresponsibility …. days of friends without foes.

Sister,he is a poet.:)

Thanks for that. That clears up any confusion regarding the translation.

Some people are upset with the 'anything goes' policy, some appreciate it. Not everyone will ever be happy.

Have you ever carried out a survey though?

I reckon you would find that the number of people happy with the current approach would be restricted to a small number of frequent posters that you could count on the veins of one cock.

I reckon you would find that the number of people happy with the current approach would be restricted to a small number of frequent posters that you could count on the veins of one cock.

you could say this thread is a survey. I'm listening to suggestions for changes. What specific rules do you think should be added to the TOS?

That last bit is a bit obnoxious by the way.

Thanks for saying that. I get the impression that some people think it's cool to be as abrasive as possible to others. The maturity level has gone way down, it didn't used to be like this. Needless to say, I won't be posting anymore, and I realise that some of these trolls will give applause within seconds of my posting that. So be it.

No one is going to applaud you leaving because nobody cares. Establish an identity here before you try to tug at our heartstrings regarding your imminent departure. Besides, you've been saying how shitty this place is since you joined, or rejoined, or whatever. Either stay or go, nobody is forcing you to stay and nobody is telling you to leave but if you are going to leave then LEAVE; stop saying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tags
greek interview morrissey solo solow

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom