It's crunch time for Morrissey...

Exactly my thoughts. Very well put, Madame Butterfly.

Yeah, I understand the concern and have voiced it myself; however that was when he didn’t have a recording contract. He’s in the midst of a contract now, so I wouldn’t get too worked up. Let’s see how the next album fairs first before veering cliffward.

Jaysus,

Do people ever stop whining and demanding more?

Hey,

All I need his him...

P.S. "Do people ever stop whining and demanding more?"

No (and his bank account appreciates as much)!

These comments are truly disgusting.

If you don't like it - GET OFF THE FORUM! This place is meant to be for fans, not vultures who circle & destroy the forum.

A quote on an earlier post says it all - a third of "fans" didn't buy the new single.

No - 100% of fans DID buy the single - the people who didn't aren't "fans".

It's only crunch time for Mozzer because of the very, very poor fanbase he seems to have. He's not letting you down - it's the other way around.

Idiots.

If you don't stop deliberately posting inflammatory crap like this, you're banned.

Peter

I get the feeling that anyone who dares to criticises moz on these forums does tend to get shot down in flames these days. And dare I say, the people who are doing the shooting are probably the newer fans who have a couple of albums and think they're the biggest fans in the world because they are mug enough to buy a greatest hits album when the clever thing to do would be to download the 2 new songs off itunes!

Anyhow, that's my little rant over. I've dared to say that ROTT wasn't that great or that Jesse Tobias is a joke only to be called a non fan. Maybe anyone with an opinion or half a brain should keep quiet?!! Love to all, Stanley.

I get the feeling that anyone who dares to criticises moz on these forums does tend to get shot down in flames these days. And dare I say, the people who are doing the shooting are probably the newer fans who have a couple of albums and think they're the biggest fans in the world because they are mug enough to buy a greatest hits album when the clever thing to do would be to download the 2 new songs off itunes!

Anyhow, that's my little rant over. I've dared to say that ROTT wasn't that great or that Jesse Tobias is a joke only to be called a non fan. Maybe anyone with an opinion or half a brain should keep quiet?!! Love to all, Stanley.

I would strongly encourage you to keep posting what you believe. I would back it up with facts and your rationale and if others cannot deal with that, then it really is their problem.

I truly don’t understand these people. We are all here because we love his music. Stating you like one album over another is just going to happen. Music is subjective. Still, I must admit my own culpability, whenever someone rates “Sweetie Pie” a 9 or 10 in the Top 100 Poll I still get a little apoplectic. :)

I'm becoming more a critic of Morrissey these days. Once the self confessed addict of the man, there just doesn't seem to be a spark about the world that is Morrissey at the moment (and ever since the end of the YATQ tour for me).

- Alain Whyte has gone from the live performances, which for me is a big loss.
- Mikey has also taken a well earned break and has affected the accompaniment side of his live performances.
- I didn't buy the single to be fair as it is the worst single I have seen him release since I was old enough to start putting money over the counter.

Maybe i'm living in the past (88-95). I just think Morrissey is in limbo where he is halfway trying to attract the mainstream whilst doing the odd thing that keeps him a cult attraction. 'Something is Squeezing My Skull' sounds great live, and hopefully will be recorded for the album and will sound even better, but it's not consistent enough in my opinion.

- The regular occurrence of live B-Sides for the ROTT singles.
- Some horrors of recorded B-Sides (Christian Dior, Sweetie Pie) but there have been more good than bad for ROTT.
- Other new live singles don't have the same excitement factor about them (Paris/Mama) compared to the 02 tour (IBEH/FOTGTD) but lets wait for the recorded version.

Also, I don't see why Moz had to do so many dates for this tour. I hope it hasn't affected the recording of the new album. I'd rather have had him cut his tour at the end of the US/Mexico dates and spend all of this time creating a polished product. I think the tour was too long and did contribute to his recent illness, and hope it doesn't serve detriment to the new album with a lesser working time.

Is Moz still passionate about music, or is he putting notes into a swag bag with 'Pension' branded onto it? He still adores his fan base, thus the tour and the desire to play places other artists wouldn't dare step foot into. I just hope my fears and views are alleviated and rubbished by the artist I adored fanatically.

Let the abuse begin to drive me back down to Events.

The End :)

Dam am i the only person in the world that likes redondo beach?? I loved the original and i love the cover bring it on.

- Mikey has also taken a well earned break and has affected the accompaniment side of his live performances.
- I didn't buy the single to be fair as it is the worst single I have seen him release since I was old enough to start putting money over the counter.

- Some horrors of recorded B-Sides (Christian Dior, Sweetie Pie) but there have been more good than bad for ROTT.
- Other new live singles don't have the same excitement factor about them (Paris/Mama) compared to the 02 tour (IBEH/FOTGTD) but lets wait for the recorded version.

Well, Alain is writing a great deal of material for the new album, so that should encourage you. As for not buying the new single, I can't really blame you. It is a mystery to me why "All You Need Is Me" wasn't used as the first single (or THE single) to promote the Greatest Hits album.

Regarding "the horrors of recent b-sides," I'd classify "Sweetie Pie" in that category but it is not like he hasn't released bad b-sides before, i.e. "Journalists Who Lie." We also did get some gems, "Good Looking Man About Town," "A Song From Under The Floorboards," and "Ganglord" so I'd don't think things are all that bleak.

"Other new live singles don't have the same excitement factor about them (Paris/Mama) compared to the 02 tour (IBEH/FOTGTD) but lets wait for the recorded version."
Well, let's put it in the proper context. In 2002, we were praying for a new recording contract and any song gave us hope, hell "Mexico" seemed like a revelation. So, no there isn't the same buzz, but I think it is to be expected.

Now that I've defended Mozzer, I too have some trepidations. "That's How People grow Up" and "One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell" are not album material, nor single material. Moreover, they lack the lyrical punch that so many of his other works contained. I hope all involved in the next album show better judgment when picking singles and releasing b-sides. Autumn is an eternity, so I feel like there is time for Boz and Jesse to step up and knock out some good tunes to compete with a wealth of material from Alain. In the past, the problem seems to be they record some of the b-side gems AFTER they've wrapped recording of the new album. This was true of the "Maladjusted" b-sides and a song like "Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice."

Keep the faith!:)

I'm becoming more a critic of Morrissey these days. Once the self confessed addict of the man, there just doesn't seem to be a spark about the world that is Morrissey at the moment (and ever since the end of the YATQ tour for me).

Maybe i'm living in the past (88-95). I just think Morrissey is in limbo where he is halfway trying to attract the mainstream whilst doing the odd thing that keeps him a cult attraction. 'Something is Squeezing My Skull' sounds great live, and hopefully will be recorded for the album and will sound even better, but it's not consistent enough in my opinion.

Also, I don't see why Moz had to do so many dates for this tour. I hope it hasn't affected the recording of the new album. I'd rather have had him cut his tour at the end of the US/Mexico dates and spend all of this time creating a polished product. I think the tour was too long and did contribute to his recent illness, and hope it doesn't serve detriment to the new album with a lesser working time.

Is Moz still passionate about music, or is he putting notes into a swag bag with 'Pension' branded onto it? He still adores his fan base, thus the tour and the desire to play places other artists wouldn't dare step foot into. I just hope my fears and views are alleviated and rubbished by the artist I adored fanatically.

Let the abuse begin to drive me back down to Events.

The End :)

I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! You mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Regarding "the horrors of recent b-sides," I'd classify "Sweetie Pie" in that category but it is not like he hasn't released bad b-sides before, i.e. "Journalists Who Lie."

Journalists Who Lie is a fabulous tune haha! But seriously, i would put that on anyday over 'Sweetie Pie'. The quirky start to Journalists ensures it gets the odd play now and again and helped retain the intruigue up until this present day. :D

I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! You mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Fantastic, i knew a 'Your Mam' joke would be thrown in somewhere. Any more? :tears:

mbb321 - your original posting perfectly sums up my own personal feelings. I've been a fan since the early nineties and the current situation is a weird one. The man has a record contract, a loyal fanbase and an album on the horizon yet I'm not overly excited. The 2002 shows were amazing and the build up to You are the Quarry was a good time for us old moz fans as we knew he still had something to offer plus had the songs to deliver. Our loyalty was rewarded. It just seems at the moment that he hasn't got the songs or the band to deliver the goods again. Maybe I'm being negative. The recent single was awful and friends who are fans even admitted this! The Paris song is good though and all you need is me has potential. Mickey leaving the band is a loss and I just hope that Alain Whyte has a big hand in the new album. Unlike many on this forum I liked Jerry Finn as a producer so that bodes well. I guess wel'll have to wait and see on this one...

Oh I think criticism is fair and I would say ROTT is merely a decent album. Not many classic tunes just a nice collection.

However most of this forum is swamped with these kind of discussions and I think it's getting abit dull and boring.

As a big Patti Smith fan, I can't hate Redondo Beach, though Patti's is much much better. I guess I'm someone who will always buy the CD's and stuff, I'm a collector and a fan. I don't agree with an earlier post about how fans are doing Moz wrong by buying certain singles. That's not a fair comment, some people actually DO like THPGU and ROTT you know...

Quarry was always going to sell more because it was his 'comeback LP' don't forget that. He was f***ing everywhere that year and everyone felt like celebrating a national institution.

Then of course FOTGTD was also a massive hit, that shifted at least an extra 50, maybe 100 thousand copies of Quarry via airplay alone.

When Ringleader rolled around he hadn't been away that long, the singles weren't as strong (or immediately radio appealing, I mean),

As long as he has a couple of fairly strong singles and tours and promotes the forthcoming LP reasonably, it should do as well as Quarry.

Away from albums, touring wise he hasn't really suffered a downturn in fortunes.

The Greatest Hits was a missed opportunity - shite tracklisting and deservedly panned as such by most of the media, weak single (especially compared to All You Need Is Me) pretty lackluster promo.

But in conclusion, no he is not suffering a downturn in fortunes or form. It's all perfectly explicable, and his new LP can hope to do as well as Ringleader at least.

Back
Top Bottom