It's crunch time for Morrissey...

Im throwing my arms around Paris, Mama lay softly... , All you need is me.

If this is a sample of the quality of the album no-one (with any taste) should worry.

Just a point on the Greatest Hits: It entered at 5 & then dropped out of the top thirty.
Vauxhall & I did that too.

Nope, Vauxhall went in at 1, spent two or three weeks in the top 10, and about five or six in the top 40.

In response to previous posts, yeah, the new songs do indeed sound great. According to a recent poll here, levels of optimism (including mine) are high for the new album. It's just that this time, we really need a brilliant album with lots of songs scoring over 8/10 unlike Ringleader where virtually every song plus b-side was just 6 or 7/10...

Well, music is quite subjective right? There maybe a chance that you think the next album, when released, is a 10/10, but others hate it, burn all their cds, posters, gig stubs of Moz, and the Cd sells really badly, will that make it a worse record for you Maurice E? Will you re-review it and score it down to a more solid 7/10?

Because of who it is, there will be a chance that people will buy it, because it is Morrissey. In that case, illegally download it, give it a listen, if you hate it, you will only lose a bit of time. If you really like it, buy it.

As for crunch time, Morrissey's stock at the moment is quite high when you compare it to the rest of his solo career.

Well, music is quite subjective right? There maybe a chance that you think the next album, when released, is a 10/10, but others hate it, burn all their cds, posters, gig stubs of Moz, and the Cd sells really badly, will that make it a worse record for you Maurice E? Will you re-review it and score it down to a more solid 7/10?

Because of who it is, there will be a chance that people will buy it, because it is Morrissey. In that case, illegally download it, give it a listen, if you hate it, you will only lose a bit of time. If you really like it, buy it.

As for crunch time, Morrissey's stock at the moment is quite high when you compare it to the rest of his solo career.

Hi Forza,
You're quite right. Music is highly subjective. When I talk about 6's, 7's, 8's etc I'm referring to the average scores that we all gave (as in the Houdini poll) - not my own opinion.
Take a look at the poll and you'll find only two songs got over 8/10 from the 2006 releases. Whereas in 2004 (and other good Morrissey years, 88, 92, 94 etc), there were loads.

Morrissey's stock is relatively high at the mo but he's having a bit of a 'wobble' with the immigration thing, the critical panning he received for ‘That’s how people grow up’, the so-so reviews of Greatest Hits plus the rapid exit from the top 30, etc.

The brand new songs sound pretty impressive though-and they need to be. I’m optimistic...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom