gigsandtours IG: Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham Cancelled (July 9, 2023)

1279FB9B-8556-4F9F-978C-34F0BC75D955.png

gigsandtours-09072023-0001~2.jpg

UPDATE 7:01 AM PT:

Posted by javert:

Suggests they are fully going for the rescheduled message:

Hi there,

Tonight's event has been rescheduled...

The event organisers have been in touch to let us know that tonight's show has been rescheduled and will no longer be taking place.

The event organisers are working hard to arrange a new date and as soon as we get any update on this, we'll be in touch to let you know. Your tickets will be valid for this new date.

Please understand that given the extraordinary circumstances, our Fan Support teams are incredibly busy at the moment, so we encourage you not to contact us. Instead, you can find lots of information and answers to your questions in our information portal.

If you sold your tickets on our Ticket Exchange and haven’t received payment, you will now be paid 10-12 working days after the new date - which is yet to be announced.

If you have any questions for us, there's lots of information in our FAQs.

We're sorry for any disappointment caused.

Ticketmaster Customer Service

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I remember. Witnessed it first hand on many occasion.
One of the really cool things about the previous tours of the last couple of years was to see just how much the fans loved both Alain and Gustavo. I don’t just mean on stage. Both were quick to share their limited time with fans no matter where they were or what they were doing. With over thirty years combined tenure they earned the love and respect of the fans. And with due respect to the other members, most fans considered them the heart and soul of the backing band because they put in the time and treated people properly.
It would be really interesting to know if the idea of a reunion of the '91 lineup even made it to Morrissey? Alain Whyte has expressed it very clearly. And if it only were for a few concerts (such as the Stray Cats) from which Boz would come out of retirement. Too many bridges to cross?

For the avoidance of doubt, here's the context:

I'm 57 years old and have been to 30 Morrissey/Smiths gigs over the last 35 years. I've shouted out twice during that time. The first was to ask about Alain, after Alain stopped touring 15-20 years ago. The second was at Portsmouth 2 nights ago. Unless you have followed Morrissey from your teenage years, perhaps it's hard to imagine quite how difficult it is to see Morrissey morph from someone you admire to someone Morrissey himself would have despised in 1983.

Morrissey has let us all down, and it's hard to take.
He's let you down because for some reason he's not lived up to your expectations, but don't for a second think that your code of behaviour that Morrissey hasn't quite measured up to has anything to do with any other fan and their appreciation for Morrissey. You're entitled to your own opinion but it has nothing to do with anyone else. You don't know him. He doesn't know you. Enjoy the cope.

You have reminded me of this previous incident where Morrissey walked. It's one thing to be a professional comedian and be immune to these kind of jabs (and even expect them), but I don't think Moz is made of such stern stuff.

morrissey-walks-off-stage-mid-show-after-getting-heckled-in-warsaw
yeah, i was thinking of that too. so i guess it's an exaggeration for me to say he has a 'proclivity' toward such behaviour, because i only know of that one incident, but it just seems typical from what i know of him.

i do think that morrissey needs to toughen up in general, but i also imagine you must feel pretty vulnerable up there on stage when you're singing your heart out and trying to be genuine.

To clarify, it was not specifically suggested that they returned to see AW in my post. It was upon hearing that the band were as good as they’d sounded in years. Of course he was part of that band. Take from that what you will.
Anecdotally, I know people that were back at shows because he’d returned. I wouldn’t suggest there was a large percentage of fans that did this, though, regardless of how much more applause he got during the rare band introductions. It was obvious there was a connect with the fans and we’ll just leave it at that.
I always noticed how well he conducted himself, and how generous he was with fans and venue staff.

My mum says he’s a credit to Morrissey. I tell her Morrissey couldn’t give a monkey’s. I could though.

From Morrissey Central 10th July 2023

'PISSED IN PORTSMOUTH' has been recorded in Nottingham. The 10-track album has been described by Carmen V as "The reason I can't pay my mortgage."

This is the 11th Morrissey album produced by lauded Israeli producer, Alka Seltzer.

The songs are:

What Time Does The Bus Leave?
A Man Said A Nasty Thing (And I Didn't Like It)
Let's Play Hide The Sausage, Jesse
I Love Leeds
Johnny Marr Without A Guitar Isn't A Star

The Terrorists Did It
The Man From The Insurance Company, Who Wouldn't Yield
That's Not How The Song Goes
Cancellation Concerto
Getting Away With It (Electronic Cover)

Tracks 1-5 Written by Morrissey
Tracks 6-10 Co-Written with Mike the Barman
Engineered by Stella Artwar .
Recorded at CBA Studios, Nottingham, England.
Jesse Tobias guitars, Backing Vocals, Keyboards, Bass, Drums, Bavarian Cheese Whistle

I'm 57 years old and have been to 30 Morrissey/Smiths gigs over the last 35 years. I've shouted out twice during that time. The first was to ask about Alain, after Alain stopped touring 15-20 years ago. The second was at Portsmouth 2 nights ago. Unless you have followed Morrissey from your teenage years, perhaps it's hard to imagine quite how difficult it is to see Morrissey morph from someone you admire to someone Morrissey himself would have despised in 1983.

Then it might have been a good idea for you not to attend. It at least appears that those who went to Portsmouth had a good evening despite your petulance.
#noneofyourbusiness

Of course, some of it is pure nostalgia, but (again, personal opinion) with no members from the original line up, something is lacking and it’s more like M and session players (not a slight as they’re VERY talented). Maybe he’s not only ok with that, but prefers it. IIRC, he didn’t even introduce the band, what was it… the last four shows of the previous tour? I personally think he does himself a disservice (not that he asked lol) by not championing the band no matter who is in it. A band the fans are invested in makes him look even better and I’m not sure he sees it that way. As I’ve stated before, he’s done pretty well for 40yrs without my direct input!
This is exactly how I see it. The departure of Alan and Gustavo is, in my opinion, the final end of seeing Morrissey as Morrissey and the BAND. We must remember that there were shows where Morrissey introduced the band saying "We are Morrissey". It was a bit weird but I liked it. It doesn't look very optimistic now. We have Morrissey who is above all else. Jessie's boss. And session musicians. Craftsmen . I didn't see any chemistry on stage there, no joy in playing. But ok, it's only three concerts so far, and only a dozen videos on YT. But still, I envy a little bit everyone who had the privilege of being in Israel and Portsmouth :D

surely you know morrisseys proclivity for walking off stage if he feels he's been insulted. so you disagreed with him and didnt like his song.... maybe you had a point, BUT what about all those other poor buggers who paid for their ticket and who were maybe going to see him for the first time and were excited about it? you were okay with him potentially walking off the stage to the disappointment of all the other people there? i mean, it's alright for you, you had already seen him scores of times. but where's the consideration for them? if you dont at least have any respect for your fellow concert goers, maybe you shouldnt go to concerts.
You're right of course, there was a risk that he would end the show as happened once before. But more recently he's demanded that people are ejected. We all need to own our actions though. I spoke to Morrissey and the band, and am on here defending that decision. Morrissey chose to respond to it and didn't leave the stage. If anything, he actually seemed to enjoy the intercourse as others have posted.

I guess for me, having given him the benefit of the doubt for years, it was just the final straw.

An interesting moral dilemma though.

Fair enough, you've said your piece. But if you want to protest in future, simply don't give Morrissey your coin and stay away.

I am hoping the purveyors of doom are wrong and the cancellation was due to anything ranging from M not being up for it to venue plumbing.

But if your outburst towards the musicians who are first and foremost trying to earn a living results in the cancellation of this tour...not to mention the financial impact to fans who'd prebooked travel, parking, hotels...then I wouldn't want to be showing my face at a Morrissey show again.

I'm going to log off now, but wanted to thank all of you who have messaged me and provided support via the crowdfunding page. I have enough donations now to get to the remaining UK dates. As agreed, if Notre Dame is dropped from the setlist I will forward all contributions to charity.

If we get organised we're more likely to have success. Looking forward to seeing you there.

I'm going to log off now, but wanted to thank all of you who have messaged me and provided support via the crowdfunding page. I have enough donations now to get to the remaining UK dates. As agreed, if Notre Dame is dropped from the setlist I will forward all contributions to charity.

If we get organised we're more likely to have success. Looking forward to seeing you there.
Great, so you’re planning to disrupt all the shows, are you? Honestly, I don’t understand why you feel the need to do this, why don’t you do the right thing and give the money to charity anyway? But no, making it all about you and your opinions is just far too important to sacrifice…

Morrissey fans 'gutted' after Nottingham gig cancelled and demand explanation

Well, Morrissey fans are disappointed. In the same circumstances who wouldn’t be?

Besides all the money spent with travel, hotel, food, time... there is the most important: the frustration for not seeing, hearing and being close to him, despite all the efforts made.

To be left wondering what might have happend isn't a good place at all. I emphathise with my fellow Moz fans who were ready to attend the Nottingham gig.

However, I'm worried about Morrissey, for I don't believe he'd just cancel a show on a whim. There is a lot at stake for him: fans being frustrated and angry, financial loss (the venue booked has to be compensated, crew and band have to be paid, lodged and catered for).

It must be a serious problem he doesn't wish to disclose to the public for some reason. So, I worry a bit.

Saw the new male and female guitarist in the pub around 7pm (ye olde trippe to jerusalem) all I can say is morrissey wants to rest his voice as it was a concern and he doesn't want to jeopardise the rest of the tour

Saw the new male and female guitarist in the pub around 7pm (ye olde trippe to jerusalem) all I can say is morrissey wants to rest his voice as it was a concern and he doesn't want to jeopardise the rest of the tour
The voice of reason :)

That’s all there is to it, indeed.

Then just say he’s poorly for goodness sake - everyone gets sick

I've seen both The Cure and Paul McCartney (who do near 3 hour shows) and I've loved those and didn't feel that they dragged on at all.
That said, I haven't felt like Moz shows have been too short or felt short changed. Would love them to be longer, mind you.
Yeah. I’ve seen Paul five or six times, too. It’s crazy long. And the Rolling Stones too. They all play long shows. At 81 year old at that! I love the shows, don’t get me wrong…I just mean , to me, Morrissey’s shows are the perfect length of time.

Noel Gallagher anecdote:
“He'd [Morrissey] cancelled a load of gigs because he had pneumonia and I was out in LA with people who knew him and he texted me. He said. 'Bring your credit card.'
"And I get to this bar and he's sat there and I go, 'I thought you cancelled all the gigs [because of] pneumonia?' And he said: 'And yet here I am'."

Thanks for the information.
From this we assume it must be extremely minor as the Leeds date is "unaffected"
A simple statement would have been nice.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom