A Tribute to the Smiths in San Francisco

B

Becca

Saturday, December 2, 9pm-3am
King Street Garage, 174 King Streeet (near 3rd St.), San Francisco
cover charge $5 before 10pm, $10 after (NWC card-holding members: $5 all night) 21 and over with valid ID.

Salute to the Smiths!

Just curious, Becca.. what is your opinion of this club (New Wave City)? I have mixed feelings..

1) The music. It seems they consistently lure us kids in with the promise of a theme night, and then blast the bangles and cyndi lauper to my utter horror. I seem to recall there being considerably more slides of the Smiths projected on the wall then played by that long scraggly-haired overweight dad dj.

2) Drink prices are jacked up inexplicably.. it usually costs me and a friend $40 there to get even slightly intoxicated; add that to the $10 price and that makes one 'spensive evening.

3) The crowd seems like it's mostly dotcommers, aging hipsters, or Giants fans who got lost, nobody can dress for $hit, and want the 80s, but not the GOOD 80s, the BAD 80s.

4) The lighting makes for one self-conscious dancing style. Spot lights from the ceiling right on you for most of the night.. God how I love looking drunks in the face as they smash into me, as I am in the way of their "friends dance" locked arms jock thing.

Am I wrong?? Oh well. I will see ya there! :p

I've never been to one at New Wave City for the reasons you just mentioned. I hate being around the kids that think it's the coolest thing to be into 80's. I've always loved 80's music, it just seems too much of the trend. So, that's why I usually skip events like these. I just thought other people may be interested in going and checking it out.

> Just curious, Becca.. what is your opinion of this club (New
> Wave City)? I have mixed feelings..

> 1) The music. It seems they consistently lure us kids in with
> the promise of a theme night, and then blast the bangles and
> cyndi lauper to my utter horror. I seem to recall there being
> considerably more slides of the Smiths projected on the wall
> then played by that long scraggly-haired overweight dad dj.

> 2) Drink prices are jacked up inexplicably.. it usually costs me
> and a friend $40 there to get even slightly intoxicated; add
> that to the $10 price and that makes one 'spensive evening.

> 3) The crowd seems like it's mostly dotcommers, aging hipsters,
> or Giants fans who got lost, nobody can dress for $hit, and want
> the 80s, but not the GOOD 80s, the BAD 80s.

> 4) The lighting makes for one self-conscious dancing style. Spot
> lights from the ceiling right on you for most of the night.. God
> how I love looking drunks in the face as they smash into me, as
> I am in the way of their "friends dance" locked arms
> jock thing.

> Am I wrong?? Oh well. I will see ya there! :p

Back
Top Bottom