will y.o.r. serve to strengthen vauxhalls reputation as morrisseys best ever work?

Re: will y.o.r. serve to strengthen vauxhalls reputation as morrisseys best ever work

It really is a matter of opinion. I don't think that Vauxhall and I is the best solo album. I prefer Your Arsenal but that is just my opinion. I thin YoR will rank about 4th or 5th in the solo albums.

My rank:

1. Your Arsenal
2. Vauxhall and I
3. You Are The Quarry
4. Years Of Refusal??
5. Viva Hate
6. Kill Uncle
7. Southpaw Grammar
8. Maladjusted
9. Ringleader Of The Tormentors
10. Greatest Hits

Love PTxx.

Re: will y.o.r. serve to strengthen vauxhalls reputation as morrisseys best ever work

Vauxhall is his best work? Since when? Did I miss a vote?

Exactly. Why do people constantly fawn over that album. It get's so boring.

Come on people. Listen to the album first, then make a judgment - but even then, give it a couple of months. It will be at least April before the songs sink in and I can make a proper judgement. However, saying that, from what I hear, it's a 2 or 3 in the rankings.

Peter

Last edited:

How the bloody hell does anyone know the answer to that. The great majority of us have only heard 3 songs off YOF.

16th Feb doesn't seem so far away now does it...wonder if the proximity of the release date to Valentines day is a coincidence?

How the bloody hell does anyone know the answer to that. The great majority of us have only heard 3 songs off YOF.

16th Feb doesn't seem so far away now does it...wonder if the proximity of the release date to Valentines day is a coincidence?

marvellous:) no judgement can possibly be passed yet. boredom's a terrible thing;)

Okay while it is impossible to rank anything without first hearing it, I have found upon a second serious listening to Vauxhall that it is exceptional in that it speaks of emotional pain on a very literal level that reaches many people. And the music is transporting and beautiful, always takes me to the beach for some reason. It really is one of his best albums, if not only for the line "the sun burns through to the planet's core, and it isn't enough they want more." Having said that, it's unfair to judge without hearing YOR. Based on the lyrics more pain, but a resolution of pain sort of, so more positive. I could be wrong. Even I am finding it difficult to analyze the lyrics without hearing the music first.

It's just completely idiotic to start ranking an album you haven't even heard. It's an indication of a closed mind to dismiss it before you've even heard it. If you convince yourself you don't like it beforehand there's not much the album can do to persuade you otherwise is there? I very much doubt such people are going to be openminded enough to be able to enjoy it once it's released. They might as well not bother and go and listen to an artist they are predisposed to like.

And since when do we need to have a ranking of the albums anyway? Why does it have to be a league table?

Exactly. Why do people constantly fawn over that album. It get's so boring.

It has a strong opener (Now My Heart Is Full), a strong middle track (Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself) and a very strong ending (Speedway). I think people just stare at those highlights and don't pay attention to the fact that the surrounding songs aren't nearly as strong as those three.

Our point is, what you're saying is purely based on your opinion. There are people on this forum that love "Paris," think its his best song to date.

i think its his best recently , out the 5 or so new songs i have heard i think it is the best

there are??? its not bad, but best song to date?

who said that? i must smack them. :cool:

no hitting , but its the best in my opinion

Each artist has a golden period. Maybe you're right and his golden period is over. Good job he has an extended discography that we can chose from.

i dont think his golden period is over , he has a strange career in 97 people where saying that was his over as they were in 87 and no doubt in 2007 ... but look at the amount of new fans he gains , look at the average age of the new members of this forum look at the shows looking for something new and exciting it depends when you get into him what you like some people love southpaw others hate it , kill uncle is the same . vaxhall is a great album but is it his best i dont know ...

i do indeed love vauxhall. it's such a quiet album. i get lost in it.

no hitting , but its the best in my opinion

no, i like it. i think its one of his better new ones too. i was just saying that "best song to date" is completely exaggerated, and i hadnt seen anyone say that.

How high would you people, rate yor, compared to previous almums

I think its ok, bona drag is my favourite, and viva hate.:lbf:

Re: How high would you people, rate yor, compared to previous almums

Bottom third. Not breaking any new ground lyrically...and same musically since Southpaw Grammar. Having said that...it is better than most new releases you're likely to encounter these days.

For me, the high points are Bona Drag, Vauxhall and I, and Your Arsenal...but there are little golden nuggets scattered throughout his solo career (At Amber, I Will See You in Far Off Places, Do Your Best and Don't Worry, to name a few).

Like, totally high.

Bona drag isn't a bona fide studio album though, so how can you compare that with other studio albums?

Years of Refusal is ok Emma. I like Bona Drag as well. And i'm also a fan of "World of Dorrissey":thumb:

I think its ok, bona drag is my favourite, and viva hate.:lbf:

Emma,

Give Maladjusted a listen. It gets slammed by most fans on this board it seems, but it has great songs.

Trouble Loves Me
Ammunition
Alma Matters
He Cried
Satan Rejected My Soul
Wide To Receive

It also produced some of the best b-sides of Moz's career

Back
Top Bottom