Vauxhall and I is Overrated

no it was just recorded awfully. that producer is a deaf moron. the whole album sounds recorded underwater. i seriously dought a remastering would help

no it was just recorded awfully. that producer is a deaf moron. the whole album sounds recorded underwater. i seriously dought a remastering would help

I think you meant "doubt."

Hey Bluebird, just because someone doesnt like an album you like, it does not make them stupid. Although it is a pretty stupid thing to say.

Irony lost amongst the masses. Why do you think I put an x after my opening two sentences?

xxxxxxxxxxx

I think the 'muddy' production adds to the atmosphere of the record. If it was rematered it would be the only one I'd purchase but if you listen to the album on vinyl (which I think was the point at the time) and loud you pick up the nuances involved.

I alos think the co-writers (Alain and Boz) were at their peak in terms of consistency when Vauxhall came out...

An album that will stand the test of time, regardless of it being Morrissey. Unlike most of his records since (though I do have a soft spot for Southpaw and Ringleaders)

Irony lost amongst the masses. Why do you think I put an x after my opening two sentences?

xxxxxxxxxxx

I think the 'muddy' production adds to the atmosphere of the record. If it was rematered it would be the only one I'd purchase but if you listen to the album on vinyl (which I think was the point at the time) and loud you pick up the nuances involved.

I alos think the co-writers (Alain and Boz) were at their peak in terms of consistency when Vauxhall came out...

An album that will stand the test of time, regardless of it being Morrissey. Unlike most of his records since (though I do have a soft spot for Southpaw and Ringleaders)
Hey Bluebird, apologies. Did not notice the x and lets be honest, posters can be pretty rude.

Absolutely his best solo LP, hands down. Best production, best writing, it plays on your emotions, it rocks...it does everything. Your Arsenal isn't even close...and I love it.

EDIT: Regarding the "muddy" production, my V&I cassette sounds fantastic - so it wasn't the production. It was the mastering.

Last edited:
a superb album,, and my fave Morrissey release.
Im not as techy as some in here, but would purchase a remastered release just to hearthe difference.

Well, if there's a consensual best Morrissey album, it's Vauxhall. Among fans and critics alike. Personally I agree with that assessment, it is, overall, his best album - with almost no weak moments, and with an organic wholeness to it to boot. But there will always be different opinions about such things, of course. Nothing wrong with that.

Considering that the rest of the world, with few exceptions, doesn't even know about the existence of an album called "Vauxhall and I", I'd say it's incredibly underrated.

I come on here occasionally just to look around really and I've seen so much praise for this album but I don't really get it.
I don't dislike Vauxhall and I, I think its a decent album, better than Kill Uncle and Maladjusted actually. Other than a couple of excellent tracks though the album bores me a little :straight face: does anybody else agree or is the album love by everybody apart from me?

...My favorite Morrissey album is probably Ringleader of the Torementors though is that a bad choice?... Perhaps I just have poor taste! :eek:

Anyway, that's all :)

It IS a good album, and it's overrated. The two are not mutually exclusive. I was actually there when Morrissey did the signing at Manchester's HMV store to promote it's launch in 1994. I hung around the back exit with the other fans until late at night hoping he would appear, but he left inside a police van via the front entrance. A policeman described it as "a double-bluff if you like" when we asked what had happened. Someone asked for the plate when an assistant tried to return it to the pub next door after Morrissey had eaten a cheese sandwich which was brought round earlier. It was the days before internet so we all exchanged addresses so we could keep in touch, and we were nice and charming to each other, because that's what fans do. And should still do.

I think Vauxhall and I is mastered at a wonderfully low volume. When I want to hear it loud I just turn up the volume dial.

I used to hate the production Vauxhall & I but I love it now. Yes, it sounds as if it's recorded underwater or something but I think it gives the whole album a quite unique feel and gives an eerie and mysterious glaze, it's very atmospheric in that regard. A wonderful rebuttal of the much maligned loudness war.

I dfon't know the reason to post this thread. This album is undoubtedly a masterpiece. The work made by Lillywhite is incredible and wonderful. I reckon that volume is lower than usual because Vauxhall and I is softer than usual. Check Years of Refusal out and you're gonna realise it's equalized diferrently if compard with VaI. YoR is haevier than VaI - or even make it with Southpaw Grammar and the result will be the same.

It's a shame that some people aren't able to enjoy an album like Vauxhall & I.

Fair enough. Each to their own and all that.

I think you should lock yourself in a dimly lit room, turn up the volume, and play it on repeat for several hours. You may learn to like it!

Heh, inspired by this thread I'm listening to Vauxhall all the way through now. I must say the song was better than I remember it being. But as for how anyone can say Sweet Boy is one of the two weakest songs on the album, I'll never know! :p For me it's an achingly beautiful song, gorgeous, one of V&I's highlights.

I think Vauxhall and I is mastered at a wonderfully low volume. When I want to hear it loud I just turn up the volume dial.

When it keeps getting better and better as you turn it up, that's a sign of good mastering. Oh, and it helps if the music is good too!

We'll see a Vauxhall remaster/deluxe edition at some point, it's just a matter of when. I just checked the liner notes and Chris Blair did the mastering, so it's not like we had some young hack with a ProTools program or something like that.

Tags
overrated vauxhall
Back
Top Bottom