Sparks and the 'Everyday Is Like Sunday' intro?

Shame

I was listening to the song Here in Heaven by Sparks earlier, and I felt that the music during the chorus, about forty seconds in, was very familiar. I realised that it sounds very like the opening to Everyday Is Like Sunday.

I know that Morrissey was/is a keen fan of Sparks, and I was just wondering if this musical similarity is another example of him taking direct influence from artists he admires (which I think is perfectly fine, let it be known) rather than merely a strange coincidence.

I was listening to the song Here in Heaven by Sparks earlier, and I felt that the music during the chorus, about forty seconds in, was very familiar. I realised that it sounds very like the opening to Everyday Is Like Sunday.

I know that Morrissey was/is a keen fan of Sparks, and I was just wondering if this musical similarity is another example of him taking direct influence from artists he admires (which I think is perfectly fine, let it be known) rather than merely a strange coincidence.

Well I mean, I understand he has some authority for the direction of the music (i.e, verse-chorus-bridge patterns and whatnot), but it's not like he himself COMPOSED the music. EDILS was a song off "Viva Hate" that Stephen Street had written demoed and sent to Morrissey, without any prior consultation - I believe the story from Street's journal is that, at the time, Street was doing some damage control because he thought there wouldn't be enough B-sides for the remaining Smiths' singles to be released from "Strangeways" after Johnny had left (too-right of him to think so, just look at the final tracklistings for the last two singles - really scraping the barrel for recordings there). Morrissey had by that time decided he wanted to make a solo record with these songs, so he had very little say in terms of the composition of the actual chord patterns and whatnot; yes, the lyrics he came up with decided the layout of the song, but in this specific instance, I wouldn't say he had anything to do with making the intro sound like a Sparks song (which honestly, I'm not really hearing anyway, but just for argument's sake). "Such A Little Thing..." on the other hand...

Well I mean, I understand he has some authority for the direction of the music (i.e, verse-chorus-bridge patterns and whatnot), but it's not like he himself COMPOSED the music. EDILS was a song off "Viva Hate" that Stephen Street had written demoed and sent to Morrissey, without any prior consultation - I believe the story from Street's journal is that, at the time, Street was doing some damage control because he thought there wouldn't be enough B-sides for the remaining Smiths' singles to be released from "Strangeways" after Johnny had left (too-right of him to think so, just look at the final tracklistings for the last two singles - really scraping the barrel for recordings there). Morrissey had by that time decided he wanted to make a solo record with these songs, so he had very little say in terms of the composition of the actual chord patterns and whatnot; yes, the lyrics he came up with decided the layout of the song, but in this specific instance, I wouldn't say he had anything to do with making the intro sound like a Sparks song (which honestly, I'm not really hearing anyway, but just for argument's sake). "Such A Little Thing..." on the other hand...
I'd be interested to know more about the writing process where Moz is concerned. Whilst taking your point that Moz may not actually write the chords, his input must be substantial, more than just adding the words. There is clearly a melodic skein running through his work with Marr right through to the latest stuff that belongs to Moz.

I'd be interested to know more about the writing process where Moz is concerned. Whilst taking your point that Moz may not actually write the chords, his input must be substantial, more than just adding the words. There is clearly a melodic skein running through his work with Marr right through to the latest stuff that belongs to Moz.

I didn't say that all he did was write the words. He writes the vocal melody to every song, which is an enormous contribution - often what decides if a song is catchy or not. That being said, based on the words and melody he comes up with, he can move around pieces of the original instrumental his co-writers give him to fit in everything he wants to say. It's mostly always been this way. The only reason I stated that it was different for EDILS is that Morrissey never REQUESTED that Street begin writing for him. Street was looking to help out in keeping Morrissey's confidence together after the split, began demoing instrumentals for songs. Morrissey had very little say in the CONTENT of the instrumental, but yes, he came up with the vocal melody and the lyrics based on what he received from Street. Now, for a song like "Such A Little Thing..." for instance - which I mentioned before - Morrissey had a bit more of a hand in the arrangement. He specifically requested that Street write a backdrop reminiscent of a Sparks' song.

I'd be interested to know more about the writing process where Moz is concerned.

I would recommend you read Simon Goddard's "The Smiths: Songs that Saved Your Life." I am not a musician and when I opened the book understood little about composing a song; I learned a great deal about their process by reading cover to cover.

I would recommend you read Simon Goddard's "The Smiths: Songs that Saved Your Life." I am not a musician and when I opened the book understood little about composing a song; I learned a great deal about their process by reading cover to cover.
Thank you Soil.

I hear it too, Shame. Good catch. Stephen Street is a very smart man and also opportunistic. He was well aquainted with Morrissey's tastes by the time he decided to apply for the job as Moz's next co-writer, certainly something that he strongly desired at the time, so to emulate a song like this would definitely give him a better chance of meeting with approval. Or maybe Street simply enjoys a Sparks tune as well and it just seeped in. Either way, it's a brilliant intro to great song.

Thanks kindly for all the responses, and for reminding me of a book I have long been meaning to purchase.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have heard the similarity, be it a coincidence or otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom