Uncut 500 Greatest Albums of the 80s (Jan’24)

The new Uncut ranks the 500 greatest albums of the 80s. All five Smiths albums make the top 100, with two of them making the top 10.
Typically, Morrissey is ignored…

Full top-10:
1. Kate Bush – Hounds Of Love – 1985
2. Talking Heads – Remain In Light – 1980
3. Joy Division – Closer – 1980
4. Kraftwerk – Computer World – 1980
5. De La Soul – 3 Feet High And Rising – 1989
6. Prince – Sign O’ The Times – 1987
7. The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead – 1986
8. My Bloody Valentine – Isn’t Anything – 1988
9. Talk Talk – Sprit Of Eden – 1988
10. The Smiths – Hatful Of Hollow – 1984

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess Viva Hate wasn't on the list and that is what was meant by the statement "typically Morrissey is ignored". I answered my own question I think. I am so sleep deprived that my thinking is slow right now. I better get some sleep.

The Joshua Tree #159 hmmm I’d put it in the top 20 for sure. Lots of opinions, i know!

They should maybe change it to the 500 greatest English language LPs. There's even an English language version of that Kraftwerk LP. Seems almost quaint how narrow in scope it is, given how easy it is these days to listen to music from anywhere.

The Joshua Tree #159 hmmm I’d put it in the top 20 for sure. Lots of opinions, i know!

Personally, I think U2's first four albums are brilliant but nothing they have done since is any better than average. Thinking about it, I would also l include 'Under A Blood Red Sky' as a brilliant album.

I actually gave my vinyl copy of 'The Joshua Tree' away a day after buying it because I genuinely didn't like it. I didn't like the direction the band were going in.

Personally, I think U2's first four albums are brilliant but nothing they have done since is any better than average. Thinking about it, I would also l include 'Under A Blood Red Sky' as a brilliant album.
They had something really special in the beginning, I saw them early on and never saw them live again because I knew the experience could not be repeated

I actually gave my vinyl copy of 'The Joshua Tree' away a day after buying it because I genuinely didn't like it. I didn't like the direction the band were going in.
yep under a blood red sky is fantastic,i played that to death,there was a concert at red rocks which went with it,that was u2 at their very best.
my favourite album of the 80s was Japans Tin Drum,so good at capturing that asian drum sound.
didnt even think there was 500 great albums in the 80s,you had a great period from 80 to 86 then stock aitken waterman literally ruined the decade with some right mince polluting the charts to end the decade.

Back
Top Bottom