TMDQA!: "Producers say Morrissey has not yet returned money from shows in Brazil and explains ticket situation" (February 21, 2024)

Producers say Morrissey has not yet returned money from shows in Brazil and explains ticket situation

Morrissey may be causing financial inconvenience to his fans after canceling his two shows in Brazil, which were scheduled to take place this February.

According to the national producers who were responsible for the ex- The Smiths' performances in the country, the veteran musician has not yet returned the fee that was paid for the performances in advance.

Morrissey's first announcement in Brazil indicated that the artist would visit São Paulo and Brasília with the tour that celebrates his 40-year career in September last year. However, after the singer was diagnosed with Dengue, the shows were rescheduled for February 2024.

At the end of January this year, with less than a month to go before the shows scheduled for February 22nd, in São Paulo, and 24th, in Brasília, a statement said that Morrissey was “under medical supervision due to physical exhaustion.”.

Producers say Morrissey didn't pay back fees
Although Free Pass, the company that took care of the São Paulo show, confirmed the refund for those who purchased the tickets, the producer requested a period of up to 90 days to return the money to the public. This is because the amount, as provided for in the contract, was passed almost entirely to Morrissey in advance and, to date, he has not returned the amount.

OnStage Agência, responsible for the show in Brasília, also shared a similar statement and, like Free Pass, regretted the cancellation of the performance and guaranteed assistance to fans who were harmed.

Morrissey's shows would mark his fifth visit to Brazil, the last of which was in 2018, when he was promoting his 2017 album Low in High School .

While he doesn't return to the country, the musician's fans await his new album Bonfire of the Teenagers , which has been teased by the artist since 2021.

Last year, the singer accused Capital Records of having “destroyed” his career and stated that he is being subjected to “torture” in this process, although he highlighted that the company is “prepared to return [the record] for a certain price ”, without elaborating much on the possibility of a launch.

Producer statement regarding refund for Morrissey show.

Free Pass Entretenimento, responsible for organizing Morrissey's show in São Paulo and, in reference to the cancellation of the tour carried out by the artist, is hereby announcing that we are working diligently to organize the necessary procedures and request a deadline of up to 90 days to complete the process.

We also inform that, the company Ticket360, a company acting as a partner of Free Pass Entretenimento in the sale of tickets, for contractual reasons, had already transferred almost the entire amount of funds raised from the sale of tickets with Free Pass Entretenimento, funds that were paid to the artist and which have not yet been returned .

In this way, Free Pass Entretenimento guarantees its existing commitment of more than 15 years in carrying out its activities, carried out with the necessary quality and confidence, ensuring that all customers impacted by the cancellation will be duly reimbursed.

We appreciate your understanding and reiterate our request for patience during this period.

We regret the cancellation of the event and are available to resolve any potential issues.

For more information and monitoring of the refund process, please contact Free Pass Entretenimento.

This is not cool. I wonder if he used the money to buy the album back?

Translation: Morrissey has not yet returned fees for canceled shows in Brazil. Shows were supposed to take place in September 2023, were postponed until February and then cancelled. The producers say they are waiting for a position and for him to return the money he has already received for the shows that will not take place.

(2 stories merged)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm brazilian and I bought the tickets for the Santiago (Chile) and São Paulo (Brazil) concerts. I would be in Chile on vacations last year when the show would happen and asked my boss to work for one week in São Paulo so I could see the show at night. When the shows were postponed I asked for a refund of the Santiago ticket as I wouldn't be able to travel to another country to see his show this time. I received the refund of the Santiago show on 25/09/2023. I asked for the refund of the São Paulo show on 10/02/2024. haven't received it yet but the place in which I bought the ticket (Ticket 360) sent me an e-mail saying that they were waiting for the producers of the show to give more information to them. After that I received a SMS directing me to the site (https://www.instagram.com/ticket360/p/C3iMyyTuQBa/) that said it could not refund me because Morrissey hadn't refunded them and that I should send an e-mail to the producer. According to the brailizan law, in a comecial relationship wiht a business it's that business obligation to repay the consumer. They cannot delegate the guilty to other party. Ticket 360 should refund the people who bought the tickets and, after that they can go to the justice to get a refund from the producer or morrissey, but, legally, they cannot avoid their responsability to reapy their customers.
That is it.
Maybe one day I'll put the videos of Morrisey's shows I went here in Rio de Janeiro here (one little bit of a show appears there):

I'm brazilian and I bought the tickets for the Santiago (Chile) and São Paulo (Brazil) concerts. I would be in Chile on vacations last year when the show would happen and asked my boss to work for one week in São Paulo so I could see the show at night. When the shows were postponed I asked for a refund of the Santiago ticket as I wouldn't be able to travel to another country to see his show this time. I received the refund of the Santiago show on 25/09/2023. I asked for the refund of the São Paulo show on 10/02/2024. haven't received it yet but the place in which I bought the ticket (Ticket 360) sent me an e-mail saying that they were waiting for the producers of the show to give more information to them. After that I received a SMS directing me to the site (https://www.instagram.com/ticket360/p/C3iMyyTuQBa/) that said it could not refund me because Morrissey hadn't refunded them and that I should send an e-mail to the producer. According to the brailizan law, in a comecial relationship wiht a business it's that business obligation to repay the consumer. They cannot delegate the guilty to other party. Ticket 360 should refund the people who bought the tickets and, after that they can go to the justice to get a refund from the producer or morrissey, but, legally, they cannot avoid their responsability to reapy their customers.
That is it.
Maybe one day I'll put the videos of Morrisey's shows I went here in Rio de Janeiro here (one little bit of a show appears there):

A millisecond flash of a Morrissey show, among your other adventures. Thanks for the flash.

It’s bad that fans won’t get their refunds before Morrissey pays back the advance.

Not the first time I’ve heard Morrissey not paying people. I remember about maybe 10 plus years ago tour personal or security didn’t get paid and had to take legal action against Morrissey and since the story broke on here Morrissey’s lawyers contacted David T and Morrissey was pissed off at David T and started bashing this site and banned poor David from his shows. Also I’ve read the reason Morrissey and Stephen Street had a falling out was because Morrissey hadn’t paid him so Street was going to hold up the release of Interesting Drug untill Morrissey finally coughed up the money and that was a 20 year plus fall out from that. Also Craig Cannon took Morrissey to court but I can’t remember if that was a Morrissey and Johnny thing of not paying him for work he did on a few songs. I could be wrong I can’t recollect exactly what it was for, but I do remember reading when they were doing the Wolverhampton gig and shooting the Last of the famous videos. Morrissey was trying to get Cannon to drop his suit by telling him I want you to come work and write music with me but I need you to drop the case. Cannon told him sorry mate I can’t do that. All in all Morrissey has a history of stiffing people out money. Shit just look at Andy and Mike as proof. Makes me wonder if Morrissey would be a cheapo and not even tip his waiter or bartender as well.

Wasn't it for a co-write on ASK?

I've only had to cancel once because actors will crawl half dead on to a stage - but touring is terrifyingly expensive. Budgets disappear in seconds.

The cancellations of quite a few huge shows last year must have left deep holes in the budget, to an unsustainable extent. An artist as established as Morrissey wouldn't normally be expected to be handling that side of things though. The delay could be down to something as simple as costings outstanding for some elements, including the dreaded admin. fees, to apply even for cancellations presumably, or some other innocent reason. It's another headache not needed right now by someone dealing with exhaustion, personnel changes, torture of no record deal and what not. Hopefully Handsome Pete will take all these circumstances into account and create a roadmap allowing for a bearable pace.

As much as I have been critical of all the lies and deceit involved with this Latin American tour, starting with the blatant lie about catching dengue in Mexico last year, now I'm not so sure this was Morrissey's or his team's fault.

I have already received all the refunds for the shows that would take place in Argentina (well, as I said it would happen, only about 1/3 of what I originally paid for, because of the economic crisis there), Chile, Colombia and Peru. Then the Brazilian organizers came with this strange excuse.

The gigs were cancelled all in the same day, about a month before they would happen here. And the venues in Argentina and Chile were as large or larger than the ones in Sao Paulo and Brasilia. So why would Morrissey's team only keep the money from the Brazilian shows? Strange, and even more so since I know that promoters in other countries have reimbursed the fans.

Probably it's a problem with the organizers here. The one for the Sao Paulo gig was not so big and in their homepage I saw they lost the rights to a metal festival they organized last year (I'm not even sure that event was a success). Maybe they have a cash flow problem and blamed it on someone else, so we would not complain and wait for them to sort their financial mess out.

So much for the ones here that said this was not such a big deal, that we were complaining too much and that in the end we'd get our money back and it would be ok ...

Last edited:
When Jesse Tobias came into the fold?
It would be hard to argue against that suggestion, BUT I personally don’t blame Jesse for what transpired at that time. It was a matter of circumstances more than anything, imo. Things could have been handled differently, I’m sure, but I’d hesitate to assign “blame” to one person. That said, there has certainly been a drop off in consistency and a general downward trend in, say, the last ~15 years (ignoring the occasional blip on the ECG Machine… Vegas & SLO being a couple of prime examples).

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom