The Guardian: "Michael Imperioli: ‘I still give Morrissey the benefit of the doubt’" (August 10, 2023)

1912.jpg

Michael Imperioli: ‘I still give Morrissey the benefit of the doubt’

Relevant parts:

"Loved your shows on NTS radio a few years ago. You played solo Morrissey tracks on each of them – what do you love about him, and his post-Smiths songwriting? And have your feelings towards him changed since he’s made some dubious comments in recent years? Pete Thorn

He’s uncompromising and very true to his art, to himself. As a lyricist, he’s on the level of Bob Dylan and Lou Reed to me: his intelligence, his wit and point of view. I think that’s why so many people connect to him, people who feel like outsiders. When they hear his lyrics and see him perform, they feel less alone in the world. I didn’t discover the Smiths until after I was finished with high school. I was very clueless musically. But when I was 17, I was in Manhattan and I had friends who quickly exposed me to the good stuff like the Smiths. I went from being in high school to going to acting classes with people in their 20s, 30s, 40s. In some ways I was happy to do that. But in other ways, I felt very much like a kid, straddling two worlds. I had moved in with my grandparents outside the city. I had a couple of friends and I enjoyed being in the city but I really didn’t feel like I belonged there. In many ways, I felt very alone. It’s a time of trying to figure out your identity. As a young person who wanted to be an artist, I felt I was looking for a certain freedom to express, and those other artists made me understand that that was possible.

I thought what he wrote about Sinéad O’Connor was spot on and brilliant – how easily she was abandoned by the music industry. He was as well. Bonfire of Teenagers was dropped by the label and still hasn’t come out. He’s on the edge of controversy a lot and they shy away from that. I’m not sure how racist the things he said were. To me they weren’t flagrantly racist. I’ve never met Morrissey but I do know a lot of people in the current band and people who have played with him in the past who are very smart, and the least racist people you could imagine. They adamantly express that racism is not a part of who he is, by any stretch of the imagination. I still give him the benefit of the doubt. I know a lot of people don’t, but somehow I still do. As an artist, considering what he’s done, he should always have the advantages of having a label promoting him. I think [his situation] is similar [to O’Connor’s] in a lot of ways."

&

"Top 5 albums of all-time? Screamadelica1

It’s so hard. The Wedding Present’s Seamonsters is tremendous. In Utero. There’s a two-disc Lou Reed live record, Take No Prisoners, from the Bottom Line [in New York, 1978] that is very revealing of who he was, especially at that point in time – he talks a lot through it. But also the performances are quite exceptional. Loveless is a towering giant of a record. I love Green Mind by Dinosaur Jr. The Smiths, all their albums. Vauxhall and I was my favourite of solo Morrissey. [Patti Smith’s] Horses is tremendous. The first Television album, Marquee Moon. The first New York Dolls album. So Alone by Johnny Thunders. I’m over the limit here but it’s too hard! [David Bowie’s] Hunky Dory really got me when I first heard that one, it was before I heard Ziggy Stardust and Diamond Dogs – my other two favourites. I got to meet Bowie backstage during the Reality tour, which was pretty thrilling. He was wonderful – friendly, present and kind. It was brief, but for me it was extremely important and memorable."

Registration nag screen removed:

Regards,
FWD.

I think people have given Morrissey the benefit of the doubt many times over the last 40 years and it comes to the point where you think to yourself, f*** maybe he is racist or if not definitely prejudice. How many times will he put his foot in hit mouth and you as a fan keep defending him for it? He keeps doing it and doesn’t learn from it because the fan base allows him to keep doing it because you keep supporting him and his conduct without any repercussions. He’s immensely talented there is no arguing that, but the things he has said last few years is definitely off putting.

It took Stevie the talented whore many years to gain the confidence to go for the bigot pound. He would be more respected if he hadn't danced around being the clearly racist, sectarian, right wing bigot he is and instead had been true to himself.

Now he is just a freak show.

I didn’t have a clue who he was, until I googled the name and quickly saw a picture of a younger him and instantly recognised it was Spider from Goodfellas.

He seems clued up on all things Morrissey. More than just a pedestrIan interest. A Wedding Present fan too.

I never thought I'd see a Sopranos and Morrissey crossover. Wonderful.

This forum needs a way to upload videos so I can plumb the depths of my Sopranos video clip archive.

I didn't know much about the guy but he's not just an actor - he's also a writer and director, co-wrote the screenplay for the Spike Lee movie Summer of Sam, which is a good movie, and he wrote and directed the movie The Hungry Ghosts, which I haven't seen. Great title.
I suppose we should be grateful for someone speaking up for Moz, especially in The Guardian, but wouldn't a better response have been to say - Morrissey, racist? What a load of rubbish. Next question.
Yes that would've been the correct response for sure. Even stating that he's "willing to give him the benefit of the doubt" is pure cringe and wreaks of yet another disclaimer to save him from being cancelled. Even he himself in the interview states he can't see Morrissey's comments as being "flagrantly racist". I liked Michael Imperioli even before I found out he was a big Morrissey fan but FFS grow a pair and say what you mean instead of dancing around.

Last edited:
I didn't know much about the guy but he's not just an actor - he's also a writer and director, co-wrote the screenplay for the Spike Lee movie Summer of Sam, which is a good movie, and he wrote and directed the movie The Hungry Ghosts, which I haven't seen. Great title.
I suppose we should be grateful for someone speaking up for Moz, especially in The Guardian, but wouldn't a better response have been to say - Morrissey, racist? What a load of rubbish. Next question.
😂😂😂

I think people have given Morrissey the benefit of the doubt many times over the last 40 years and it comes to the point where you think to yourself, f*** maybe he is racist or if not definitely prejudice. How many times will he put his foot in hit mouth and you as a fan keep defending him for it? He keeps doing it and doesn’t learn from it because the fan base allows him to keep doing it because you keep supporting him and his conduct without any repercussions. He’s immensely talented there is no arguing that, but the things he has said last few years is definitely off putting.
This! Of course, the sheep that spend practically every hour of the day defending MozZz in this forum refuse to accept the truth and facts.

good to see mickey blue eyes sticking up for M,its about time someone did.
bet it killed the guardian to print that,a so-called newspaper which has printed 450 negative stories over the years,a rag of the highest order.

Last edited:
Props to Morrissey's lyrics! When they are great, they are amongst the greatest ever written.

Viva Morrissey! More people in the entertainment industry should speak up about supporting him, because they certainly are there.

good to see mickey blue eyes sticking up for M,its about time someone did.
bet it killed the guardian to print that,a so-called newspaper which has print 450 negative stories over the years,a rag of the highest order.
Yeah, I'm surprised they even printed it. They're a pathetic so called newspaper.

It's nice to read what he said about current and former band members as well.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom