Patti Smith Appreciation

DavidMich

I believe her 1979 performance at the Rockpalast is one of the best shows ever captured on video...up there with Introducing Morrissey and Live in Dallas. Granted she may at times seem out of it...but still very raw and rock'n'roll. Here are a few of my favorite tracks from the concert:

Because the Night:

Jailhouse Rock:

Dancing Barefoot:

Gloria:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was unable to go to her concert in Detroit last Friday. :tears:

But, I just read this amazing review on 93.9's Facebook page:

"Seeing Patti Smith gets my blood pumping. It makes my bones shake.
Sounds ridiculous, but it's true. She's a mighty presence.
The energy she brings to the stage - every single time - blows my mind.
She's punk's priestess and poet laureate. But that's been said a million times.
She's a slice of New York spliced with the undeniable grit and big city grime of Detroit.
She is Rock and Roll.
If you were at Saint Andrews Hall Friday February 19th for Patti's amazing return "home", you'll recall something very special went down.
She rallied up the ghost of her late, beloved husband, guitarist for Lincoln Park's own MC5 - Fred "Sonic" Smith in an awe-inspiring tribute - a show sprinkled with stories from their past, her eyes sparkling with the same nostalgic wonder as if not a single day had passed.
She harnessed the spirit of Detroit - filtered it through her band and spat it back into the crowd with venom and sweat and feedback and power.
She felt it. The crowd felt it. The city shook.
February 19th, 2010 - Patti Smith came home.
Sold out show at Saint Andrews Hall, she gave a gratious tip of the hat to the Motor City - applauded our strength, our bravery, bowing to our endurance.
She called out tribute to another rock and roll poet - the late Jim Carroll - resurrected the lives of all his friends long since gone in a manic and joyous cover of People Who Died.
Trance-like, overcome with music - seeing Patti Smith is unlike anything I've ever experienced.
The audience stayed riveted, energized, we soaked up everything she gave and gave it all back.
I have only ever seen Patti Smith here, in her beloved city of Detroit which harbours so many amazing memories for her, so perhaps it is THIS that brings out the performance of a lifetime every single time...
On the other hand - maybe she's just that good.
At the golden age of 62 - she can do on stage what most 21 year olds strive to do, but never come close.
High points included the explosive "Free Money" from her debut Horses, a psychedelic and spacey Beneath the Southern Cross, the show-stopping Gloria followed closely by the war cry to take back our dead city - People Have the Power.
Everyone's arms were in the air. It felt good to be a part of it.
It felt great to be a part of that gigantic and never-ending revolution and evolution of music that comes out of the city...
A hopeful, mighty feeling of rebellion and conquering.
All together.
That's how it went down.
That's what Rock and Roll is about.

- Dan MacDonald

Set List:

Frederick
Redondo Beach
Free Money
Improvisation/My Blakean Year,
We Three,
People Who Died,
Wing,
Beneath the Southern Cross,
Ain’t it Strange,
Pissing in a River,
Because the Night,
Gloria,
People Have the Power*,
(encore):
Tracks of My Tears (Happy Birthday Smokey! Forgive us for what we are about to do!)
Rock n Roll N*gger"

I also read that her daughter-in-law Meg White was in the audience.

And someone else commented "I saw her reading at Border's in A2 on thursday night and it was as life-altering and affirming as I imagine the show was. She even played a couple of songs on the geetar!"

Her new book about her days with Mapplethorpe is on my must read pile.

I haven't found any concert footage on YouTube, but I found this from the night before:

^
"Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee Patti Smith made an impromptu appearance at Kerrytown Concert House in Ann arbor after her Border's book signing ("Just Kids") on 2/18/10. The concert billing featured her daughter Jesse Smith with Mike Caldwell and an opening set by The Great Lakes Myth Society. This video captures a poetry reading backed by Jesse & Mike and ends with Patti singing Neil Young's "Helpless" backed by Jesse, Mike, Tim Monger and Greg McIntosh from Great Lakes Myth Society. Way too much talent in one room in one night! "

AMAZING

EDIT: Here are some photos and another review:
http://motorcityblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/photos-patti-smith-at-st-andrews-hall.html

Mini Interview:
http://www.metrotimes.com/music/story.asp?id=14801

I believe her 1979 performance at the Rockpalast is one of the best shows ever captured on video...up there with Introducing Morrissey and Live in Dallas. Granted she may at times seem out of it...but still very raw and rock'n'roll. Here are a few of my favorite tracks from the concert:

Because the Night:

Jailhouse Rock:

Dancing Barefoot:

Gloria:

Anyone have this on DVD?

Her memoir, Just Kids, is wonderful. Smith wrote beautifully about her life with Robert Mapplethorpe in the late Sixties and early Seventies, leading up to "Horses" and "Easter". Really fantastic record of New York during that time, and Smith comes off as a very likable lass, oddly enough the sanest of the bunch.

I love the overwhelmingly symbolist poetry of her lyrics especially the long suites on Horses. As a Springsteen fan I will always have a soft spot for Because the Night. The boss's own version on the live 75-85 box set is definitely worth a listen for those who haven't heard it.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pZyF10Mr0_A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pZyF10Mr0_A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Back
Top Bottom