The Cure debut new songs

The 2020's is without a doubt one of the worst decades of all time, if not the worst.
A global pandemic killing millions, an actual war on the European mainland killing tens of thousands with no end in sight.
A climate catastrophe with extreme weather events leading to death and destruction across all major continents.
An economic cost-of-living crisis sending hundreds of millions below the poverty line.
And just when we thought things couldn't possibly get any worse, it seems there might be a new album by The Cure.
In the words of a certain Mr William Martin Joel...
"I can't take it anymore!'
Joking about the new Cure album aside, I can't stand the 'enforced' gloom and misery blanketed by the mainstream media - it's worse than the 'enforced' jollity of New Year's Eve.
People who are miserable and depressed are easier to control.
If there is no hope of a better world then people just give up and don't care about trying to change things.
The global pandemic was an over-reaction to a fairly innocuous virus that gave most people a cold if anything at all. By country the numbers of healthy adults under the age of 47 killed by covid were extremely low. Much more have been killed by lockdowns and are still dying.
Death is the global pandemic that kills about 67 million people in the world every year.
'An actual war on the European mainland' - is this automatically worse than wars affecting non-Europeans? There have been lots of those since 1945.
The numbers of those dying due to extreme weather events have been decreasing - that's just a fact. And the numbers of those dying due to cold every year dwarf those dying due to heat. Global warming may actually help those statistics in terms of deaths due to cold weather. And 'clean' energy from nuclear fusion is likely within the next decade or so.
The cost of living crisis is indeed killing the poor all around the world - see above for the cause, including 'net zero'.
Bring on a new Cure album - music is good. If there is one thing that can shake us out of the hypnotic influence of that box in the corner of our living room, it is music...

Last edited:
Yeah, it rained the entire last week of the Edinburgh Festival. And I was spending a lot of time at shows in university buildings so it was like being at school in November.
School in November! 😱

Oh, Mike was setting up a political discussion.

Anyway - Disintergration is reminding me of a film soundtrack.

Much more have been killed by lockdowns and are still dying.

6.9 million died because they contracted Covid-19. You got the stats on the more than 6.9 million people who died because of lockdown? Oh, and less people die as a result of extreme weather events because countries have better warning systems in place, disaster management and better infrastructure.

Very excited for a new Cure album. Saw them for the first time in December 2022 and they were incredible. Best gig I've ever been to.

The 2020's is without a doubt one of the worst decades of all time, if not the worst.
A global pandemic killing millions, an actual war on the European mainland killing tens of thousands with no end in sight.
A climate catastrophe with extreme weather events leading to death and destruction across all major continents.
An economic cost-of-living crisis sending hundreds of millions below the poverty line.
And just when we thought things couldn't possibly get any worse, it seems there might be a new album by The Cure.
In the words of a certain Mr William Martin Joel...
"I can't take it anymore!'
Morrissey: "Stop watching the news!"

I feel the exact opposite way. I think the hits are cute at best, and it’s the album tracks and the deep cuts that are truly great. I don’t know anything about you except that you like Morrissey, so maybe it’s not at all your cup of tea, but you really should listen to Disintegration (widely regarded as their masterpiece).

Also, listen to Boys Don't Cry LP (US release), from before they used keyboards. There are some excellent songs on that, and it's very accessible for non-fans.
That's a good one to start with too. You'll get an understanding of how good of a songwriter Robert was in the early days, and there's several songs you'll really like from the gate. Its sound is stripped down raw, yet perfect and jagged guitar rock. Oh, and if you want to really feel The Cure, listen to either Paris or Show - two live albums released around the same time from the Wish Tour. Half of Show is basically hits, but the first song completely envelopes you in the power of the band, and Robert's vocals are incredible throughout the album. Paris is more of a darker setlist, and a shorter release overall, but is loaded with atmosphere and the music really shines. I've turned so many onto The Cure from playing them those three albums I listed.

No offense to Disintegration at all.

Tags
robert smith the cure
Back
Top Bottom