official The Cribs & Johnny Marr thread

Sounds like a crazy crowd. Hope you're okay. :)

Tonight in Doncaster, many in the audience showed their dislike for the opening act The Slits by booing and throwing coins and beer. When The Cribs came on, they were visibly upset and Gary told the crowd that whoever was throwing beer and /or coins were to never come see The Cribs again." :eek:

Edinburgh tomorrow...

Awww, thanks for your well wishes. :)
I still have some bruses and pain in my shoulders, it'll be alright soon.

Really terrible to hear that some idiots threw stuff at The Slits. :(

In London supporting bands Sky Larkin and Los Campesinos! were well received.
I was totally shocked to get wild reactions from hundreds youngsters when the Cribs started playing.

Have a great time in Edinburgh.

Last edited:
Have a great time in Edinburgh.

Alas, I'm not seeing The Cribs in Edinburgh, nor did I see them in Doncaster :( (heard the the show was fantastic despite the knobheads). I'm just passing on things I've heard. In January, though, I'll be seeing them in San Francisco, where I think the crowd will be better behaved. America hasn't gone Crib crazy, so the show should be made up of long time fans of both The Cribs and Johnny. :guitar:

Just back from seeing The Cribs in Edinburgh (I left early...I'm too old).

They were fine...but Johnny Marr was fabulous.

All through the set I kept thinking; "Jesse Tobias or Johnny Marr...Jesse Tobias or Johnny Marr?"

The problem is that WE all know the answer and we all know that Morrissey knows the answer but it will never happen.

I'm not angling for a Smiths reunion...I'm looking for Morrissey and Marr to reunite.

I can dream can't I?

Kimura

Just back from seeing The Cribs in Edinburgh (I left early...I'm too old).

They were fine...but Johnny Marr was fabulous.

All through the set I kept thinking; "Jesse Tobias or Johnny Marr...Jesse Tobias or Johnny Marr?"

The problem is that WE all know the answer and we all know that Morrissey knows the answer but it will never happen.

I'm not angling for a Smiths reunion...I'm looking for Morrissey and Marr to reunite.

I can dream can't I?

Kimura

I was thinking the same in donny last night

The Cribs issued this statement today in response to the coin/beer throwing fiasco in Doncaster.

"STATEMENT FROM THE BAND REGARDING DONCASTER

Just thought that we should write something about the Doncaster show last night.

Firstly, it's pretty obvious that this band were disgusted by the way that a certain minority treated The Slits during their set. Despite putting on an amazing, powerful performance the night was marred from this point onwards by a handful of people throwing coins, beer and generally putting on a disgustingly chauvinistic display of small mindedness.

As we said from the stage last night, it reminded us of when we were opening for the Sex Pistols in Brixton a couple of years ago and we remember being really quite pissed off that the audience were too close minded to really give us a chance, so imagine how bad we felt when a band we have a lot of respect for and invited to play with us were treated in a similar way. The thing that bothered us most is that this reception can't possibly have been anything to do with the music. Also, just to make it clear, these people didn't bother or upset The Slits in any way AT ALL. They played on, and the show of unity from the rest of the bands on the bill, as well as the way The Slits carried themselves was not only a moral victory but also pretty moving.

The only people these idiots upset or bothered was this band, The Cribs - and their real fans who had to tolerate being represented by the dip heads with the loudest mouths. It was so cowardly.

We were in 2 minds about what to do during their set, do we pull the show? No, that would be letting them win and making the night all about their behaviour. So we played.

We've never played in Doncaster before and we have to admit that we had been looking forward to this show maybe more than any other in our 6 years of touring, to be playing what is essentially our local arena was something that I was really excited about. I guess that when you play shows of this size you have to come to terms with the fact that you will have some people in there that have views that are way out of line to yours but it still takes you by surprise when it happens.

As we said earlier, I know it was just a small minority. We have met our fans all over the world and know that our fans are some of the best you could hope for, we're not stupid enough to tar everyone with the same brush because of a few bad apples. We're just disappointed that Yorkshire was represented so poorly last night to so many people. 3 of us grew up in Yorkshire and know that we are better than that. To our real fans, thanks so much for helping us salvage something from the gig, our show lived up to the aspirations we had for it, but there is no way that we can let these things pass unmentioned.

As Ari Up said "educate the person next to you". To those who would rather treat our (or any bands) show as an excuse to indulge your testosterone - leave us the Fudge alone - we have no place for you here.

The Cribs"

I loved that they decided to stay and play. :guitar: Others could learn from their example. ;)

When we say "Slits" are we talking the punk band from the 70s or a different newer group?

Im expecting good things from the cribs tonight. Headlining XFMs winter wonderland

Listen to XFM Winter Wonderland 2009 from the Manchester Academy, live tonight on Radio XFM or its' website. Headliners The Cribs.
Live acts broadcast from 8pm (Liam Frost) to midnight.

http://www.xfm.co.uk/news/2009/xfm-winter-wonderland-2009

There is A Light, apparently was soundchecked today. Performed by Liam + Miles, approx 10.17pm on the listen again, Cribs, 10.35pm for approx 50mins.

Last edited:
I couldn't resist picking up the limited "Roses" edition of Ignore the Ignorant the other day in HMV
The%2BCribs%2B(Ignore%2BThe%2BIgnorant%2BRoses%2BEdition%2B-%2BFront).jpg

Love the Brass Band banner cover - It's only available in Yorkshire, Lancashire and Portland Orgegon :lbf:

As well as the album there's a live gig from Manchester in Feb.

If you are unlucky enough not to live in Yorkshire, Lancashire or Portland... you might be interested in this http://abc-afterglow.blogspot.com/2009/09/cribs-ignore-ignorant-limited-edition_14.html

Dave

Hey Julie,

The Cribs will be at the 9:30 Club January 19th. Do you think Johnny will be with them? The picture on the 9:30 Club page doesn't show him.

http://www.930.com/concerts/#/930/2469/

Hey Julie,

The Cribs will be at the 9:30 Club January 19th. Do you think Johnny will be with them? The picture on the 9:30 Club page doesn't show him.

http://www.930.com/concerts/#/930/2469/

Yes! I'm gonna go see him/them. I'm trying with all my might to like them, you know. I apologize for saying mean things about them... I love Johnny sooo much. I was just in my own little world of Cribs-related distress and started typing. I've deleted my grumping now. :)

Franissey, will you be seeing them?

Yes! I'm gonna go see him/them. I'm trying with all my might to like them, you know. I apologize for saying mean things about them... I love Johnny sooo much. I was just in my own little world of Cribs-related distress and started typing. I've deleted my grumping now. :)

Franissey, will you be seeing them?

Just go and have Johnny sign your other arm :guitar:

Opening night of their US tour started last night....tunes were:

(may be slightly out of order, but these are all the tracks)

We Were Aborted
Hey Scenesters!
I'm A Realist
Emasculate Me
Last Year's Snow
Cheat On Me
We Share The Same Skies
(a bit of The Watch Trick for the "old school Cribs fans")
Direction
Hari Kari
Save Your Secrets
Our Bovine Public
Another Number (dedicated to Bobby Conn)
Ignore The Ignorant
Be Safe
Mirror Kissers
(cover of Unwound's October All Over leading into)
Men's Needs
City Of Bugs

Back
Top Bottom