NME: "Watch Johnny Marr perform a Smiths classic with Gaz Coombes" (August 14, 2023)

Watch Johnny Marr perform a Smiths classic with Gaz Coombes

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out with Gax Coombes. Only a brief clip.
Regards,
FWD.

full

You can't seriously think Marr would have any interest doing concerts of Smiths songs. He'll do a few Smiths songs mixed with a majority of Marr songs. He's not a Karaoke machine.
The only reason anybody goes to his gigs is to hear Smiths songs played (and vocally murdered) by an ex-Smith. Same way that the only reason he gets any media coverage is by agreeing to talk about The Smiths and Morrissey.

And he may not be a Karaoke machine, but he sounds like a Karaoke singer.
That's unfair
On karaoke singers, some of them are pretty good. He's more like a drunk uncle at a wake.

Now that you mention it, it is rather hilarious to compare them. Marr is a revered figure in rock and is actually signed to a major label. And yes, if you go to a Johnny Marr show, the chant goes "Johnny, Johnny, Johnny F'n Marr". And yes, I was at a show with several stage invasions in LA.
Morrissey's solo work is actually good, though. That's the main difference.

Are you actually trying to compare their solo careers? Hilarious. Ever hear a crowd chanting Marr!!?? Or seen someone rush the stage at one of his shows? His voice is non existent. Truly laughable...
Personally, I think the stage invasions are done more out of tradition than anything else. It’s become a thing. A sport. I think they have little to do with true devotion and I think it’s been like this for quite some time.

Personally, I think the stage invasions are done more out of tradition than anything else. It’s become a thing. A sport. I think they have little to do with true devotion and I think it’s been like this for quite some time.

while poor Marr will never have his beans grabbed

:(:p

I’m sure he’s inconsolable.

yeah, most likely. But as others have said, he charts well and has a record contract so he has
it pretty good, he can’t have sincere passionate fanatic adoration on top of that! Lol.

yeah, most likely. But as others have said, he charts well and has a record contract so he has
it pretty good, he can’t have sincere passionate fanatic adoration on top of that! Lol.
Or psychotic, fundamentalist and apologist adoration.

Last edited:
Or psychotic, fundamentalist and apologist adoration.

‘On this road called life, you have to take the good with the bad, smile with the sad, love what you got, and remember what you had.’

But Marr’s done pretty good post-Smiths, considering he’s not Morrissey.

No, there's definitely a lot of devotion. It's pushed in front of me & screamed like banshees on numerous occasions.

‘On this road called life, you have to take the good with the bad, smile with the sad, love what you got, and remember what you had.’

He's been a session musician for the majority of his career and his solo work sucks.

I’d rather listen to trite lyrics like that than the offensively bad stuff Moz churns out nowadays. Moz’ huge decline in quality and depth is far worse to witness than Marr’s half-assed attempts at lyric writing. Not to mention that Marr’s stuff is musically more interesting, generally, than Morrissey’s (Moz of the last ten years).

No, there's definitely a lot of devotion. It's pushed in front of me & screamed like banshees on numerous occasions.
Sure, but I’m talking about the stage invasions. I feel that they have become a thing now, a sport. I’m not sure if they’re done out of sincere devotion.

The stage invasions have become a parody.

Concerts are different now. People are more connected to their phones than the live performance. It sucks.

While some people still long for that connection with their favorite artist most are more concerned about hugging their favorite artist on video.

It is a new kind of narcissism.

Supergrass are so fecking underrated. The drummer Danny, had quite a good solo lp a few years ago. I think Bretts on it. That may be my memory playing tricks though. Very stressed at the fecking moment.

I hung out with Gaz and his wife, when he lived in Brighton, in the late 90s
They moved back to Oxfordshire when his dad died . He is such a warm guy, likes his puff and does his own thing. Such a talented guy. It's not a surprise he can hold his own with Johnny, Supergrass started out as a covers band, Gaz said they mainly used to do Bowie, Smiths and Cure songs.

The stage invasions have become a parody.

Concerts are different now. People are more connected to their phones than the live performance. It sucks.

While some people still long for that connection with their favorite artist most are more concerned about hugging their favorite artist on video.

It is a new kind of narcissism.
I thinks there’s a lot of truth to this. They feel insincere now, and I think this is a huge part of the problem.

I thinks there’s a lot of truth to this. They feel insincere now, and I think this is a huge part of the problem.
Insincere and staged...

Marr's lyrics are not any worse than what Morrissey has produced in recent times. His lyrics have become plain, often repetitive and uninspired at times and they are sadly nothing compared to what he wrote 20 + years ago.

As for Marr's voice...it's certainly not the best singing voice, that's for sure and I think nobody claims that, except Morrissey describing it as a "honeyed flow".
But him playing the Smiths songs always sounds so so good. I wish I could visit their concerts back to back to put the experiences together in my head.

Insincere and staged...

Marr's lyrics are not any worse than what Morrissey has produced in recent times. His lyrics have become plain, often repetitive and uninspired at times and they are sadly nothing compared to what he wrote 20 + years ago.

As for Marr's voice...it's certainly not the best singing voice, that's for sure and I think nobody claims that, except Morrissey describing it as a "honeyed flow".
But him playing the Smiths songs always sounds so so good. I wish I could visit their concerts back to back to put the experiences together in my head.

Well, Girl From Tel Aviv has amazing lyrics. That is 'recent'. So does Forgive Someone, Spent The Day, etc. Yes, he hasn't written another YA or V&I type album lately, where most of the songs presented have great lyrics. You're right about lyrics today not being consistently very good - the 'Morrissey Standard Lyric' of more than two decades ago.

Girl From Tel Aviv is one of his best ever lyrics, and stories as well. Not that you were saying he doesn't ever write good lyrics nowadays, but many of the good ones (from this recent era) happen to be great.

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom