NME: Morrissey's 10 best lyrics

Moz might not be pop’s most charming man, but ever since the Smiths doodled their signature onto the nation’s pencil cases, the quiffed singer has pumping out lyrics that are remarkably easy to get along with – down-hearted yet upbeat, literate yet lively, never less than loveable. Whether they’ve induce tears of laughter, misery, or both at once, these 10 lyrics see Manc’s beloved pop-poet on his fiercest form.

The list on nme.com:
http://www.nme.com/list/morrisseys-10-best-lyrics/378170

They are clearly obsessed with him. It's annoying.

to write 1 thing as someone who was 18 in 1983, and followed the Smiths living in the Netherlands, times were different, some people seem to forget that.

but 'Worldpiece is none of your business'...is a great solid enjoyable Morrissey album.

'and they say he's mentall'...Amen...

Reel around the fondue
Spread cheese on the patio
I'll eat it now

Fifteen mini cheeses with you
Well I wouldn't say no
Some vegans said I had a CrankFraud head
And they were so right

Benny-the-British-Butcher

You're so funny, are you single? I could be your girlfriend or boyfriend

I wish nothing but ill-will towards Thatcher, but to say that The Headmaster Ritual "is the sharpest snapshot of Morrissey’s miserable experience with Thatcher’s education system" when he was 20 at the time of her election demonstrates the palty amount of research on evidence here.

I note that Brian May the animal activist has stepped up to the plate and appeared on the BBC Question time programme ! Well done Brian, your heart is on your sleeve unlike Tosserrey who is a yellow-belly-CrankFraud-cheeseatarian-doctor-DO-4K-ALL-useless-twunt.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Maybe it's just me but I find that Morrissey's words has lost a bit of variety during his solo career. Especially his ability of applying humour. In The Smiths the bitterness, the harshness, the exact pinpointing of people's needs and longings were sometimes accompanied by a certain sort of mitigating humour. For instance ""; "I dreamt about you last night, and I fell out of bed twice"(Reel around the fountain) or "every household appliance is like a new science in my town"(Nowhere fast) or the complete scene in "Vicar in a tutu".

Also, Morrissey's Smiths lyrics had some sort of short-story quality to them. Take the following lines in "This Charming man": "Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate - will nature make a man of me yet?"", and "It's gruesome someone handsome should care" and " a jumped -up pantry boy who never knew his place- He said : return the ring". In just a few sentences Morrissey sets the scene to a juvenile tale of hope and despair. "Cementry gates" is a similar example of this.

Despite the often lacklustre predictions of the future, Morrisseys lyrics would now and then embody some sort of hope. "Stretch out and wait", "Sheela take a bow" and "Ask"(leaving out "the Bomb" of course) are examples of this.

In Morrissey's later poetry mainly all that's left is the naked and sombre descriptions of life's turmoil. "Teenage dad on his estate" or "Best friend on the payroll" spring to mind here.
I'm trying to keep out the accompanying music and trying only to focus on the words. It's difficult not to read the words and leave out the often joyful guitar picking of Johnny Marr, but I still think there's a difference. Please prove me wrong.

Smiths lyrics, especially early ones, were generally better because they were so often written by someone else first. He borrowed/stole wonderful one/two liners from other songs, plays, books, and poems. Admittedly, he created wonderful lyrics to surround these stolen ones. As time went on, he began to rely solely on himself for lyrics and that didn’t always turn out so well. It’s not surprising at this point so far into his career that he doesn’t have much left to say.

Maybe it's just me but I find that Morrissey's words has lost a bit of variety during his solo career. Especially his ability of applying humour. In The Smiths the bitterness, the harshness, the exact pinpointing of people's needs and longings were sometimes accompanied by a certain sort of mitigating humour. For instance ""; "I dreamt about you last night, and I fell out of bed twice"(Reel around the fountain) or "every household appliance is like a new science in my town"(Nowhere fast) or the complete scene in "Vicar in a tutu".

Also, Morrissey's Smiths lyrics had some sort of short-story quality to them. Take the following lines in "This Charming man": "Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate - will nature make a man of me yet?"", and "It's gruesome someone handsome should care" and " a jumped -up pantry boy who never knew his place- He said : return the ring". In just a few sentences Morrissey sets the scene to a juvenile tale of hope and despair. "Cementry gates" is a similar example of this.

Despite the often lacklustre predictions of the future, Morrisseys lyrics would now and then embody some sort of hope. "Stretch out and wait", "Sheela take a bow" and "Ask"(leaving out "the Bomb" of course) are examples of this.

In Morrissey's later poetry mainly all that's left is the naked and sombre descriptions of life's turmoil. "Teenage dad on his estate" or "Best friend on the payroll" spring to mind here.
I'm trying to keep out the accompanying music and trying only to focus on the words. It's difficult not to read the words and leave out the often joyful guitar picking of Johnny Marr, but I still think there's a difference. Please prove me wrong.

thank you for honest and interesting observation.

i hope it won't pass several days till i write my comment. :rofl:

p.s. i left :rofl: 'cause i'm not english native speaker.

Because Morrissey had hope then.... Remember when Morrissey Said that marr sort of threw him a lifesaver when they meet and formed them smiths. I belive Morrissey truly thought that leaving Manchester and becoming a big popstar would save him from an ordinary, imprisioning existance and make him happy or at least lift the weight of common life of his should and release the spirit chrushing vice that was a working class life. He still had his hopes up even when the Smiths did not make him feel happy, still waiting for the buss that never comes. Because he had seen another side of life. But after while as richey Edwards said even the life of an touring popstar becomes mundane and just another rutin. Its still a job and there is no difference really from anything else.
So i belive that Morrissey has an longing for something he will never find because there is only so many limitations in life.

Morrissey has left the the buss stop and he is at home watching coronation street with some lavander tea. He is really just going trough the motion and hope that no one notices.
I always wished that Morrissey would find happiness and serenity even if it meant he could not write songs as he did. It kills me to see him like this, when i know what he has meant for me and so many others

If one only knew what Morrissey longed for. Sorry for the long-ass post but this has been in my mind for a longtime

Last edited by a moderator:
I think his voice is better than ever. I saw a lot of teenagers in the pit singing along to the new songs. It was encouraging.

Its lost a bit of its femininty, sweetness but it has become more versitile and "funny"

Morrissey then. Morrissey now. Does it really matter? Morrissey is everything!

the smiths lyrics are more ornate and complexly crafted but i don't know that they speak more to me than solo lyrics. young people just starting out feel a need to prove themselves to the world and tend to try.

You know Boz that that wasn't the way it was!

'Your the One for me Fatty'. I remember him smiling and penning this as I was chomping down on my 2nd cheese sandwich. Look I feel really self conscious about eating at the best of times (esp cheese etc).And t0 make matters worse the cheese was from Battersea which only highlighted the tense situation more.

He always shrugs it off whenever I bring it up. He just says 'Just shuddupaya face and don this t-shirt with my latest tirade on Harvest or William/ Kate'. He continues, 'Look Boz, I have made you wear women's clothes and grow ridiculous facial hair but this song is not about you. Sure it was penned in your presents, but the tenuous link you are making between your weight and the location of the contents of your sandwhich is just silly and downright Marrish'.

He then turns his head and walks off humming the verse about Battersea almost as if to taunt me. I can tell he is smirking as he does this and confirmed so on his latest WPINOYB track 'Knifing with Smiler'.

Everybody Hurts..... sometimes.....

Moz might not be pop’s most charming man, but ever since the Smiths doodled their signature onto the nation’s pencil cases, the quiffed singer has pumping out lyrics that are remarkably easy to get along with – down-hearted yet upbeat, literate yet lively, never less than loveable. Whether they’ve induce tears of laughter, misery, or both at once, these 10 lyrics see Manc’s beloved pop-poet on his fiercest form.

The list on nme.com:
http://www.nme.com/list/morrisseys-10-best-lyrics/378170

Do they give the sources?

So please please please let me let me let me get what I want this time. Lord knows it would be the first time.

Fifteen minutes with you I wouldn't say no, oh people see no worth in you but I do.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom