Merion West: "Nothing to Answer for: The Fearless Art of Morrissey" (January 6, 2024)

morrissey-flashback.jpg

By Gerfried Ambrosch

“Refusing to take the path of least resistance when it comes to his career, Morrissey is the antithesis of the cookie-cutter ‘artists’ favored and propped up by the modern music industry.“

The photo seems to match with The Tube performance of Shoplifters Of The World Unite on 10th April 1987 - ab0ut 3:44 on this video - with the jacket off one shoulder.

Good Lord, calm down Karen. That is not a far right publication
You can still claim him all for yourself
He won't be assassinated in LA, land of the liberals and Hispanics

View attachment 100205
First I saw the lead article about how systemic racism is a hoax, then the next article about how the US should introduce conscription. And I thought: OK, pretty much dead political centre.

But then the next article was some weird thing defending Morrissey, and now I'm not so sure.

First I saw the lead article about how systemic racism is a hoax, then the next article about how the US should introduce conscription. And I thought: OK, pretty much dead political centre.

But then the next article was some weird thing defending Morrissey, and now I'm not so sure.
Systemic racism meets all the criteria of a conspiracy theory. A far left conspiracy theory that has entered the mainstream.
The point though, is that you will not find anyone on the left, as if such labels matter, praising Morrissey. As people like John Lydon have pointed out, the left used to be about being anti establishment and pro freedom of thought - now the left are the establishment and want to ban freedom of thought. It is therefore no surprise that the only place you will find any praise for Morrissey is among those who do not hold establishment views. Have a look at all the articles online slagging him off and talking about how it is time to stop listening to Morrissey. It is the left who have judged him, condemned him, and executed him. Or at least tried to.

No - it is not the left who judged Morrissey.

It's the homophobic music press.

Then far right activists start using it. Aiming their shit at his fanbase & his crew. Pretending to be "centre right".

It's bullshit.

Then far right activists start using it. Aiming their shit at his fanbase & his crew. Pretending to be "centre right".

It's bullshit.
You do make me laugh, promise me you’ll never change.

Systemic racism meets all the criteria of a conspiracy theory. A far left conspiracy theory that has entered the mainstream.
The point though, is that you will not find anyone on the left, as if such labels matter, praising Morrissey. As people like John Lydon have pointed out, the left used to be about being anti establishment and pro freedom of thought - now the left are the establishment and want to ban freedom of thought. It is therefore no surprise that the only place you will find any praise for Morrissey is among those who do not hold establishment views. Have a look at all the articles online slagging him off and talking about how it is time to stop listening to Morrissey. It is the left who have judged him, condemned him, and executed him. Or at least tried to.

Still, I like to believe in the existence of a radical, fiercely anti-establishment "left" that rejects all labels and categories, recognizing that the past cannot sadly be restored, and institutions are inherently corrupt regardless of colour or appearance – I despise politics and find that they are completely lifeless today.

Mainstream media tends to generally demonize conservative ideologies to create the illusion of permanent progress, further entrenching the salariat class in purposefully dramatized issues. I think of Amadeo Bordiga's provocative statement : "Antifascism is the worst product of fascism !" and Guy Debord's analysis of the mechanisms of mystification and alienation prevalent in all capitalist societies.

When it comes to Morrissey, I find he simply embodies all anti-mainstream sentiments.
Without being Dodwellian, it's apparent that this could be very well one of the reasons why some people simply loathe (or love) him. ;)

It's bullshit.
IMG_9266.gif

Mainstream media tends to generally demonize conservative ideologies to create the illusion of permanent progress, further entrenching the salariat class in purposefully dramatized issues. I think of Amadeo Bordiga's provocative statement : "Antifascism is the worst product of fascism !" and Guy Debord's analysis of the mechanisms of mystification and alienation prevalent in all capitalist societies.

According to Debord,
“All that was once directly lived has become mere representation…. The spectacle is not a collection of images; rather, it is a social relationship between people that is mediated by images.”
Debord’s concerns ran to art, culture, society, theory (and drinking, he was pleased enough to note in Panegyric, a brief book he wrote late in life). He seems to have had no mind for foreign policy or foreign affairs altogether — although he designed and published a war game with his wife, Alice Becker–Ho, in the 1980s.

Taking I hope not too much license, we find now that the theory of representation, of the spectacle, of the social and political centrality of image are very apt to those of us who follow international relations, war and, to get specific about it, late-imperial America.
- https://consortiumnews.com/2024/01/10/patrick-lawrence-what-is-said-what-is-done/ :swear

Still, I like to believe in the existence of a radical, fiercely anti-establishment "left" that rejects all labels and categories, recognizing that the past cannot sadly be restored, and institutions are inherently corrupt regardless of colour or appearance – I despise politics and find that they are completely lifeless today.

When it comes to Morrissey, I find he simply embodies all anti-mainstream sentiments.
Without being Dodwellian, it's apparent that this could be very well one of the reasons why some people simply loathe (or love) him. ;)
I think you are right up to a point. Social media is really just a modern form of social control. It is a means of policing people on the cheap. But many of the things that Moz says are not extreme or unusual - worrying about mass immigration, for example. That is just normal common sense. It is not left or right. Voting changes little these days. Whether we vote in a left government or a right government - real power is held by the huge transnational corporations. We live in a world that is post left wing and right wing. Morrissey gets that. I think his detractors dont.

Very interesting read - thank you ! :highfive:

I think you are right up to a point. Social media is really just a modern form of social control. It is a means of policing people on the cheap. But many of the things that Moz says are not extreme or unusual - worrying about mass immigration, for example. That is just normal common sense. It is not left or right. Voting changes little these days. Whether we vote in a left government or a right government - real power is held by the huge transnational corporations. We live in a world that is post left wing and right wing. Morrissey gets that. I think his detractors dont.

I entirely agree with your point as well as in regards to Moz.

When it comes to mass immigration, I believe its implications are first and foremost economic ; therefore, it should be analysed as an essential phenomenon of modern capitalism instead of being seen as a "cas par cas" situation where the immigrant, as an individual, is debated about – which makes me think of compassionate songs such as Bengali in Platforms or Asian Rut – it comes back to the idea of media as a tool of mystification and the irrelevancy of politics and mediatic conflicts themselves.
I think transnational corporations are a product of the Capital and its institutions, which is why they contain its inherent nature.

Thank you for your insightful words, and I hope to never participate in elections in the near future as well... :)

Please stop making rational, sensible, well-written posts - you are meant to be a hardcore racist who has been sent by The Evil Tour Manager to infiltrate and poison our harmonious little MOZI community.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom