"Low In High School" review by Pat Gilbert (3 stars) in Mojo

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Pat has no problem with the lyrics, well, apart from When You Open Your Legs.

Yeah the suggestion that morrissey should just express his opinion in song seems to say he might like the lyrics

Quite. Aside from saying When You Open Your Legs is weaker, the reviewer doesn't actually mention one thing wrong with the album. Which make the headline and the rating somewhat jarring.

Or he didn't fin them meaningful, and serious enough to go into a deeper examination. Then again, this is one review, it's hardly matters to anything.

It's not the first time a Morrissey album has received a luke-warm review, and then when released, the fans agree with the reviewers.

Let's not treat this as sacred territory.

4/5 in Q. Along the lines of 'His best since Vauxhall and I and will be known as his Israel album.' Lyrics from 'Israel':'They bitch and moan because they are not like you". Oh dear.

4/5 in Q. Along the lines of 'His best since Vauxhall and I and will be known as his Israel album.' Lyrics from 'Israel':'They bitch and moan because they are not like you". Oh dear.

Have you read the review?

Pat has no problem with the lyrics, well, apart from When You Open Your Legs.

Guess h'ed rather had them closed.
Each to their own. :rolleyes:

Have you read the review?

Skimmed over it in WHSmiths. 'A number of songs hit the heights and sound of The Smiths, including 'Jacky..' and 'Spent the Day in Bed' - the latter recalling 'Girlfriend in a Coma' lol

Yeah the suggestion that morrissey should just express his opinion in song seems to say he might like the lyrics

But I disagree he should just express HIS opinion in songs.
And I don't believe he always does.
It would be boring.
He is teasing the public, the audience, his fans and his critics.
Challenging them.

Skimmed over it in WHSmiths. 'A number of songs hit the heights and sound of The Smiths, including 'Jacky..' and 'Spent the Day in Bed' - the latter recalling 'Girlfriend in a Coma' lol

Should've taken some covert pics! Only joking. On the other hand, can they do us for shoplifting a review via a mobile phone?

Seems it's a bit of a grey area https://copyrightandtechnology.com/2011/01/17/1514/

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon me wish all those blood Americans like Malibu Steve would stop complaining about how their government invades the Middle East because of oil.

PS-Would any of you lots trade me autographed pic of Mike Joyce for a New York Yankee cap or a Chicago Bulls Michael Jordan jersey? I'm just up the M5 here in Hogwartshire.

Be careful there Aztec, don't get killed in a pileup at the M5.
They hate you!
Not me.

Yes, but lyrical content matters. It's not an instrumental album. Morrissey broaches these subjects because he knows they bring controversy, and affect how the song is examined.

Someone could like the music on the album, and even the vocal melodies, but despise the lyrical content, and rate it overall for what the songs are saying.

Lyrical content matters; especially when you're an artist who is known for their lyrical content. There seems to be this strange blind spot that Morrissey loyalists have when it comes to criticism.

If the lyrical content matters that much, and it does to me, as it should to a critic reviewing an album, why didn't he get in to it more than just stating 1 or 2 song lines that he didn't like but not expressing why? Or at least not enough?

Music magazines haven't had clout for decades. Most people have never chosen to buy, or follow an artist because of a music critic's review.

The reality is, music criticism has always been a way for fans of certain artists to feel validated by a critic's review. If the critic gives a negative review, then the critic has always been a hideous monster who should be tortured indefinitely.

I agree. With the torturing.
But only metaphorically.

Because Morrissey is intentionally coy with his statements, and that invites even more speculation and controversy. He doesn't like to explain himself, and thinks he doesn't have to justify his opinion....

Only when bombings occurred in Manchester did Morrissey feel the need to address Muslim extremism in a direct manner. When it happened elsewhere, he focused on the fact that it didn't compare to meat eating. Hypocrisy will always be called out when you're a person of interest. Your words matter. Choose them carefully, and precisely.

Being flippant comes with greater responsibility now. It's the price you pay for increasing exposure.

The rest of your post was pure psychobabble.

Given Morrissey's despicable comments about the death of young Norwegians in the Oslo massacre, he had absolutely no moral authority to comment on the Manchester attack. The only reason he did so was to troll for attention. Why did he claim the deaths of young Norwegians was of no consequence but the death of young British teenagers was? He can never escape failing to apologise for the Oslo comments.

But I disagree he should just express HIS opinion in songs.
And I don't believe he always does.
It would be boring.
He is teasing the public, the audience, his fans and his critics.
Challenging them.

I don't think he should just limit his thoughts to his art either but my point is just that the reviewer clearly doesn't like his expressions off album so I infer by his statement that he is appiciative of the lyrics which makes the score even more confusing

I don't think he should just limit his thoughts to his art either but my point is just that the reviewer clearly doesn't like his expressions off album so I infer by his statement that he is appiciative of the lyrics which makes the score even more confusing

Agreed.
It feels like he can't praise the lyrics as much as he wants although he thinks they are good.
The thing is, the lyrics are there, ON the album and a primary issue, not the secondary stuff of what he has been saying or not, OFF the album.

This is going to be a nineteenth century discussion about if an artist, a writer, a musician, or a singer can create a work of fiction which all art forms are, in which persons, characters, people, opinions are portrayed and the artists gets prosecuted for presenting them. Because somebody, somewhere doesn't like it.

Don't worry. The Madchester "attack" was fake as hell, a clumsy little psy op if there ever were one. And Morrissey knows this, as do the Gallagher sisters. Carry on...down to hell...

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom