'List of the Lost' review at The Quietus; Digested read / illustration at The Guardian

An anonymous person writes:

"Some of the most heinously overblown prose printed by a major publishing house in living memory..."

Beyond The Bulbous Salutation: List Of The Lost Reviewed by Karl Smith - The Quietus
Morrissey's debut novel is 118 pages of prose in not-ungenerously-sized type-face – but, whatever else it is, is it any good?

An anonymous person posted the link (original post):

List of the Lost by Morrissey – digested read by John Crace - The Guardian
‘“You’ll never prove a thing that I did with my ding-a-ling,” shouts the Dean who is frightfully mean

Illustration: Matt Blease

1065.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"The book is great. It's original. Some silly lines but overall very beautiful for a first novel. The reviewers have missed the mark and had made up their minds before they read it. I'm not convinced that any of them have read it. "

THEY DIDN'T!

That 2nd passage is beautiful. I've read it over and over again. I like this one too.
"There are days of genuinely poor visibility when your sorry best is the most you can do, whereas a dry and radiant day expects more from you and is ready to catch you victimized by excuses. Well, either you can run or you can’t, and no eloquent apologies are acceptable substitutes for hair-raising action. Somewhere alone within the hole of the soul it is known that the page is already turning, and the future is a time when you will only watch. Fully present in today, you will make the most of yourself as you dig deep to bring out whatever will save you, for isn’t it true that we have within us everything that we seek outside, from others?"

The book is great. It's original. Some silly lines but overall very beautiful for a first novel. The reviewers have missed the mark and had made up their minds before they read it. I'm not convinced that any of them have read it.

I love this one too.
"Worth is derived from approval, yet we discount the importance of our will to appreciate others because it is said to be a nothingness, or unwanted, or dangerously unsuspected. Yet, if I feel it, so must you, for it is you who made me feel so. Otherwise what is it that is ‘there’ for either of us to catch? Electrons from me need electrons from you in order to become electrons. Yet, there they are, and still you say nothing whilst always knowing. Look at the blue of the sky and tell me why you held back. Did you think there would one day be a bluer sky and a better hour? What did you think before you were aware?"

thats truly awful. if i had written such i wouldnt show myself in public again. elecrtrons from me need electrons from you.........(rolls eyes)

thats truly awful. if i had written such i wouldnt show myself in public again. elecrtrons from me need electrons from you.........(rolls eyes)

That's cos you're a zombie. You dont have a heart or mind.

"There are days of genuinely poor visibility when your sorry best is the most you can do, whereas a dry and radiant day expects more from you and is ready to catch you victimized by excuses. Well, either you can run or you can’t, and no eloquent apologies are acceptable substitutes for hair-raising action. Somewhere alone within the hole of the soul it is known that the page is already turning, and the future is a time when you will only watch. Fully present in today, you will make the most of yourself as you dig deep to bring out whatever will save you, for isn’t it true that we have within us everything that we seek outside, from others?"

LOL every time i read an excerpt i burst out laughing.
it is so bad its funny.

“Your emotional permanence is all that keeps me level. I only learned to love because you showed me that I could. Nothing else in life is enough. I will give you no trouble for the rest of our lives. I beg you to take me as I am, with the knowledge of all that’s happened. The agony will only be sharper if we separate. Unless I am with you I shall never be where I belong. Together we can recover, and we can live a happy life. There is no one but you for whom I feel this love. I’d endure any pain in order to spare you from it. Your love is beyond price. I am so heartily sorry for all that has taken place, but I am spared further self-hatred if I can turn around and there you are.”

I Call Bullshit. Once more. :)

Back
Top Bottom