Jesse...What's The Verdict?

What do you think of Jesse now that it's almost 3 years on?

• Don't like his live playing, but think he has songwriting potential

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Jesse...verdict: guilty of mediocrity

But that's how all bands are formed. Andy Rourke was only in the Smiths because he was a mate of Johnny Marr. How is that any different at all to Jesse being in the Morrissey band because he's mates with Mikey? Or how Spencer was in the 1991-1993 incarnation of the band as he was mates with Boz and Alain?

Its obvious that Morrissey likes the idea of having his own 'gang', so will keep going with Th' Lads, or rather variations on Th' Lads, rather than go out and find some pro-song writer or who ever to collaborate with.

I concede that you have a point, but, whatever niceties he says on stage or however much weight bringing Jesse on camera for that French interview carries, Morrissey largely seems to consider the band members employees, not friends per se. And, to me, it isn't an organic extension of him in having an existing employee vet one of his own friends for the job. When the Smiths were being formed, Johnny Marr was an equal partner with Morrissey. Hence, his inclusion of Andy Rourke is loaded with more authority than Mike Farrell saying "hey, I know this guitarist." Plus, the original Lads (with the exception of Boz) was a one-time package deal. And, let's face it, his career was in far more dire circumstances at the time. He needed to tour Kill Uncle or fade away. No doubt the pressure was on to tour YATQ and hit all the media to publicise it, but I always saw Little Barrie and Jesse as stop-gaps for Alain's eventual return on all fronts.

Shifting gears, I don't think the appellation "Th'Lads" fits anymore b/c the original spirit of that nickname was very British. Boz is the sole British member remaining on stage and I think the presence of more Americans in his line-up has been instrumental in the change of his live sound.

All of the above said, if Alain ever came back to the live fold, I would like to see him bring Milo Todesco (the drummer in Red Lightning) with him. Matt Walker is an impressive drummer, but I love the forcefulness and verve Milo brought to the RL EP. And he's a classically-trained percussionist so he has the range that Dean brought to the table.

Sort of an all-over-the-place post, but there you go...

Cheers,
Jamie

Just thought I'd bump this thread up since there have now been an additional 14-15 gigs since the last message and the first leg of the tour is over.

HOT AS FIRE

STAMOSED.jpg

I just noticed last night being so close, just how incredibly cute Jesse really is...... I'd defenetely loose my virginity to him. :o

Back
Top Bottom